PDA

View Full Version : how to store car

bobbyboy987
04-22-2007, 08:04 PM
im going away for like 4 months and want to know how i should treat my car so its ready to be stored.

im will most likely just be leaving on the driveway because there's no room in the garage. other than fuel and oil stabilizers what else should i do?

i heard its good to jack the car up so the tires dont get flat spot
i only have 2 jacks so i dont know if thats possible, plus my driveway has a pretty steep incline and dont know if its safe to put a car on jacks for that long.

how likely is it that a tire will get flat spots?
and can it be fixed by driving the car?

thanks

Melchior
04-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Don't worry about the tire/flat spot issue if it's only 4 months. In fact, it' s much worse for the car to sit on jacks for that long. What do you think is cheaper to replace; tires, or your underbody?

Gary
04-22-2007, 08:16 PM
4 months in summer with zero moving?
It will be more than likely to get flat spots.
Don't put car on jack stand if your driveway has a steep incline.
You could try buying cheap used wheels/tires and put them on.

You should be worry about the battery too.
I would try to park it in the garage, on jack stands (or wooden blocks).
Then hook a battery charger to the battery.
Many chargers come with function that will maintain your battery while you are away.

bobbyboy987
04-22-2007, 08:25 PM
if you get flat spots will they go away when you drive the car or will i need to get new tires.
i just got new tires a couple months ago and want them to last

2kSnakEater
04-23-2007, 12:01 AM
4 months is no big deal, you wont need new tires. Make sure you take the battery out and keep it on a float/trickle charger inside the house. Your tire will get a flat spot but since its rubber it will work itself out once you drive it and put a few miles on them.

bobbyboy987
04-23-2007, 06:00 AM
great guys
thanks for the help

extremeskillz
04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Well heres what i did. My car was stored for the winter. What i did was take off my 18"s off and put back on my 17's. I did keep my battery installed because on nice days i figured ill take it out every once in a while to keep it fresh. Then my dad ended up using the spot inside the garage for his car so i kept it in the driveway with two car covers to protect it. Just took it out this past weekend and no issues. Just a damn mouse that decided to take a dump all over the place thats all. After cleaning his mess up i laid out a shit load of traps to catch his ass. :hehe: