PDA

View Full Version : HKS Aftermarket Tranny

Murgatroy
04-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I am one of those guys that reads every page of every magazine he buys, I also only read them when I am on the shitter, but that is not the point right now.

I was reading the latest Modified Mag and they said the HKS has started making aftermarket transmissions for certain applications. SR20DET and RB26DETT were of course no shocker, however, they also listed the 3SGTE as being one of the engine applications they made a tranny for.

What I can't find, cause their site sucks ass, is whether this 3SGTE tranny is for FWD/ME RWD or RWD applications like the Altezza.

If it is for FWD it could change the way swaps are done, if you have deep enough pockets.

However, judging from the other applications available, I would assume it is for RWD only applications.

Shadowlife25
04-22-2007, 12:53 AM
I think your assumption that it's for a RWD platform is probably on target. If they had an AWD offering at all it would include the Mitsu's and Suby's.

Hiko
04-22-2007, 02:32 AM
There is no such thing as a longitudinally mounted 3sgte (altezza is 3sge), so I'd have to assume that it is either for the alltrac, or more likely, the mr2. In either case, it could theoretically be used in a swap.

I'm guessing it's mighty expensive though. I found a person online happy to find a used hks tranny for $6000.

KoreanJoey
04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
There is no such thing as a longitudinally mounted 3sgte (altezza is 3sge), so I'd have to assume that it is either for the alltrac, or more likely, the mr2. In either case, it could theoretically be used in a swap.

I'm guessing it's mighty expensive though. I found a person online happy to find a used hks tranny for $6000.

Um... it's probably RWD... probably for a conversion... I've seen more and more as to RWD swaps for the 3SGTE, and generally it's using a different bellhousing on the W series trannies... but I have heard of kits to use the RS200 Altezza/RX-8/Miata/INSERT RWD JAPANESE CAR HERE) trannies. I haven't seen one but it seems really desirable considering how much drifting is growing and how fast the cost of AE86s are going up.

Honestly 3SGTE RWD AE86s are about your best bet for making stupid power while staying with good balance and the same manufacturer.

Murgatroy
04-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Um... it's probably RWD... probably for a conversion... I've seen more and more as to RWD swaps for the 3SGTE, and generally it's using a different bellhousing on the W series trannies... but I have heard of kits to use the RS200 Altezza/RX-8/Miata/INSERT RWD JAPANESE CAR HERE) trannies. I haven't seen one but it seems really desirable considering how much drifting is growing and how fast the cost of AE86s are going up.

Honestly 3SGTE RWD AE86s are about your best bet for making stupid power while staying with good balance and the same manufacturer.
That was my idea. I don't think the R&D would be spent for a FWD platform outside of a Honda.

Hiko
04-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Yes, it probably is for a RWD car. An MR car.

There are too many options for swapping an old toyota for HKS to bother making a specific transmission to suite only one of those options.

Melchior
04-22-2007, 06:20 PM
You've all got it wrong; It's going to be for an AWD car but with 5 reverse gears and one forward, so you can move the engine to the back of your celica, reverse the drivetrain, and having a Midship AWD car, then starting taking names.

:D

geebes
04-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Either way, I think it will be kick ass, expensive, but kick ass because HKS infact kicks ass. My guess is rwd btw.