PDA

View Full Version : Starter Motors

Kiasis
04-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Okay, so I'm on my 3rd aftermarket starter (all from Napa, but not all the same brand from Napa). Do folks think I should just get the Toyo starter? Is that gonna be a brand new starter or a rebuilt, too (going into an '88 GTS). If not Napa or Toyo, what brands do people trust to last more than six months? Thanks.

JEDI
04-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I Have the same problem. I have been through 5 of them. The connection for the trigger wire inside the solenoid always melts or breaks off. I think its just a bad design. I cant explain why it happens though? Very annoying. Anyone have any thoughts?

extremeskillz
04-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I still have my OEM one on my car and still kicking strong.

extremeskillz
04-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Aftermarket ones are ok, try the aftermarket one by Duralast and see what happens. Those can be found at Autozone and if that fails then go back to OEM.

alltracman78
04-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Are you kidding?

You are more apt to have problems with aftermarket starters than Toyota ones.

I was stupid and got a Autocrap starter for my truck a few years ago.
I'm on my 3rd one in 3 years. And this one is sticking sometimes.
Good battery, has 2g wires routed directly to the starter.
The ONLY good thing about it is the lifetime warrenty.

schmooot
04-21-2007, 03:54 PM
do you still have the heat shield on your starter? that could be why its burning up so quickly....it gets pretty damn hot under that manifold

extremeskillz
04-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Are you kidding?

You are more apt to have problems with aftermarket starters than Toyota ones.

I was stupid and got a Autocrap starter for my truck a few years ago.
I'm on my 3rd one in 3 years. And this one is sticking sometimes.
Good battery, has 2g wires routed directly to the starter.
The ONLY good thing about it is the lifetime warrenty.

I wan't saying to buy an aftermarket one. Since he using aftermarket ones and they keep failing on him to try one last one then go back to OEM. OEM is obviously the way to go.

Kiasis
04-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Yes, all starters have had heat shield. Like Jedi said, it usually seems to be the wiring that fries. I think I'll spend the extra $100 and get OEM. With any luck it'll be the last hour I spend on the starting system. Dealer (while starter still worked) replaced ignition harness and then remembered an unofficial "by the way" TSB to the mechanics that the original relay wasn't properly spec'ed and that caused the faulty reading in the ignition wiring harness. Now I have a new starter relay, new battery cables and several other new wires (very heavy, maybe 2g) going the the starter and ? So now I have (I think) everything from the key to the starter replaced by the dealership. Think I'll just go OEM and (hopefully) never push start the car again. Still curious if the dealer starter is all new or reman'ed. Anyone know? Thanks.

alltracman78
04-21-2007, 05:13 PM
For a car that old, most likely remanned.
You will be hard pressed to find a brand new one ANYWHERE.

You can also get individual parts for it, if you're feeling frisky enough to tear it apart.

Kiasis
04-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Nope. The 'frisky' is gonna be spent replacing the head gasket. So even dealers deal in reman'ed, huh? Damn.

Futant3
04-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I think schmooot may have been asking about the heat shield on the manifold not the starter. The notorious 4th gen starter problem is particularly bad on the GTS because of how close the starter is to the manifold. Starter and wires get fried by the heat. Whatever you decide to do you should probably invest in some extra heat protection or you'll just face this again in the future.

Kiasis
04-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Actually, there is also a heat shield on the starter for the reason you mention, Futant3. BTW I just asked the dealer parts department what they consider reman'ed vs. other reman'ed. According to him (and in the past this particular counter guy has always shot straight w/ me) the only thing not replaced in a Toyo reman'd starter is the housing and heat shield. All internal parts regardless of condition are replaced. He said that most aftermarket folks replace only those parts obviously worn.

Anyone wanna confirm or deny this?

Considering I've been paying $100 for aftermarket and the dealer one is $188 (after core) $88 bucks is worth it to me to stop push-starting my car....

Futant3
04-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Actually, there is also a heat shield on the starter for the reason you mention, Futant3. BTW I just asked the dealer parts department what they consider reman'ed vs. other reman'ed. According to him (and in the past this particular counter guy has always shot straight w/ me) the only thing not replaced in a Toyo reman'd starter is the housing and heat shield. All internal parts regardless of condition are replaced. He said that most aftermarket folks replace only those parts obviously worn.

Considering I've been paying $100 for aftermarket and the dealer one is $188 (after core) $88 bucks is worth it to me to stop push-starting my car....

okay cool just making sure the bases are covered. I can verify that I've had some remanufactured parts that appeared to be handled in that way, though haven't dealt with the starter specifically. Nor do I remember specific companies to avoid, but it does seem to happen. My two cents is pay the $88 extra.

alltracman78
04-22-2007, 01:36 PM

I can't confirm, but it makes sense.
Toyota is pretty good with their parts.