PDA

View Full Version : what to do

evilcel
04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
My celica has been sitting for close to a year now. I feel like a pack rat not wanting to get rid of it. I dont really wanna try to get it going again, just want it for parts if I get another celi :) . Well theres a guy in south austin selling a 91 GT coupe (same thang i got) but the engine is seized. My engine was fine when I stopped driving it. Is it worth the time to swap the engine, I have no experience at all with this. I dont have the cash to pay a shop to do it either. Im afraid if I took this car I would end up with 2 non running cars. I havent even looked at this car yet, so Im not serious about getting it. My other option is to pull anything and everything I can and store it till I can afford another celica. I make enough money, but I have a child on the way and doctors bills to start paying off for it. My moms tired of my car sitting at her house, I told her it would be gone by my birthday (may 11th, hint hint :hehe:). Anyway, are there any options Im missing? I think Im just going to pull what I can for now.

Colossus20v
04-19-2007, 03:23 PM
whats wrong with your celica?

If your engine is fine and you need a car to drive and the new car is not rusted, I would say go fo it.

If your just swapping engines, you just have to pull both engines and then swap in the good one.

evilcel
04-19-2007, 03:37 PM
My celi had something electrical go bad. I found out recently that it was my starter that went bad. But since I didnt pull it and it was stcuk trying to start, it melted battery cables, battery terminals and some wires under the dash? I put in a new starter and battery and nothing happened. I dont have enough time to really check everything out. I would rather just start with a less molested celica. Is there a write up or site that would help with swapping the engines? I realize its probably more simple than I think, but I would like to make sure.

VikingJZ
04-19-2007, 03:37 PM
How much is the guy selling his for?

I would find out what's wrong with yours first. Put a new battery in, and give it a go.

Take it somewhere and have them inspect EVERYTHING.

Colossus20v
04-19-2007, 03:49 PM
My celi had something electrical go bad. I found out recently that it was my starter that went bad. But since I didnt pull it and it was stcuk trying to start, it melted battery cables, battery terminals and some wires under the dash? I put in a new starter and battery and nothing happened. I dont have enough time to really check everything out. I would rather just start with a less molested celica. Is there a write up or site that would help with swapping the engines? I realize its probably more simple than I think, but I would like to make sure.
We can help you here!:)

Basically, you just take the plugs and electronics off of your engine.Unbolt everything from the engine except the motormounts. Use an engine hoist or something to keep your engine from falling onto the floor, unbolt engine mounts. Then you can either lift the car over the engine and pull the engine out from underneath, or lift the engine straight out.

Do the same with the other car.

Then put your engine in new car and reconnect everything back up.

Ricksta has done it. I think you can do it too. :)

evilcel
04-19-2007, 04:14 PM
hes asking 400 obo, no pics, and hes on the otherside of austin, so it may be a couple days before I can go look at it.

evilcel
04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
How much is the guy selling his for?

I would find out what's wrong with yours first. Put a new battery in, and give it a go.

Take it somewhere and have them inspect EVERYTHING.

thats the problem, ive replaced that and nothing lights or anything came on. So Id have to pay to tow it to a shop, then pay for them to check everything. Then pay to fix whats wrong (if I cant do it myself, but then Id have to tow it back to my place to do that). I think Im going to check this celica out, but atleast get my current celi ready for a junk yard or somethin and pull all the goodies/ hard to finds.

9VNMOUS9
04-19-2007, 05:25 PM
is the other one in better shape? and if it is how much of a deal are you getting? I would say keep what you have and work on it, but make sure you pump the throttle a few times and do a little maintence before just jumping in and firing it up. Just my .2

evilcel
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM
yea, im just discouraged of messing with it anymore. It is a good point and one I go back and forth on. I'll see if maybe he'll part out or something. My cars been sitting for awhile, and the electrical problem happened with the windows down and sunroof open. I put a tarp over it but its still got along ways to go inside as well. Just sucks I dont make more money I guess

1990CelicaGT-S
04-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Holy shit man, our stories are almost exactly the same.

I have a kid on the way next month. My celica has been down since last year as well, couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I was thinking about selling it but the guy backed out on me last minute. I never did want to sell it in the first place but I was getting desperate. Needless to say I used him not buying it as an excuse to fix it. Now I have a motor on the way and have been working on the car non-stop the past few days before the enigne gets here.

I think you should keep your car. Look into the other one, but talk to a shop about them looking at your car. The money that you would spend to get a new car would probably be around where it would cost to fix yours. Another peice of advice; trying to get a car running and racing with a baby's due date is not fun.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

zmile06
04-19-2007, 10:06 PM
you could probable fix your car for around 400. Did you throw a new battery cable on or just replace part of the cable? Make sure EVERYTHING is hooked up on the battery cable correctly.

Just take it to the shop, and they can probable narrow it down for you pretty quickly. They will probable fix it for you for about 300 bucks. Maybe 400 if its under the dash, because thats a bitch.

2kSnakEater
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
lets be realistic, you have a kid on the way, you need a 4 door car, do you have one? If you dont, sell the Celica and buy a cheap 4 door car for now as a baby hauler. Later on you will find another Celica and you can buy it as a nostalgic car.

2kSnakEater
04-19-2007, 10:28 PM
oh and did you check that 100amp Alt. fuse? If thats blown you wont get ANY lights and you car will seam as if the battery isnt even plugged in.

evilcel
04-19-2007, 10:36 PM
where is said fuse? I dont need a baby hauler, my girls gonna get rid of her mustang and go for an SUV. I still get to have a non running toy :P

2kSnakEater
04-19-2007, 10:40 PM
on my All-Tracs there is a fuse box next to the battery, on that fuse block there is a blue 100amp "alt" fuse, you will have to take the fuse block appart to take it out since its bolted to the block instead of the others that are slip on. Check that fuse

evilcel
04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
roger

zmile06
04-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Ya the 100 amp fuse is a good idea, i dunno why i didnt think of that. You might also want to check relays, but im not sure if that would kill your entire car.