PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this Craftsman toolset?

Slider
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&pid=00933263000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Is it a good deal? I need a tool set bad, I'm tired of using cheap tools. I just want to make sure I don't get something bad since it's an impulse buy.

Thanks,
Mike

PhillyDRFT
04-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I got that one when I started Tech school, It's a pretty nice kit and good for the price. You'll be happy with it.

geebes
04-17-2007, 11:19 PM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&pid=00933263000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Is it a good deal? I need a tool set bad, I'm tired of using cheap tools. I just want to make sure I don't get something bad since it's an impulse buy.

Thanks,
Mike

Great set, I'm not sure about the price, but craftsman=the shit almost always. You will not be disapointed.

T-spoon
04-17-2007, 11:25 PM
I got that one when I started Tech school, It's a pretty nice kit and good for the price. You'll be happy with it.

:stupid:

I've been able to do about everything I've needed to the last few years with just that set, aside from specialty tools of course. It's a pretty good deal. I think I got mine on sale or some-such, but either way

PhillyDRFT
04-17-2007, 11:45 PM
And if you don't have one they will most likely try to get you to sign up for a sears card, then you get 15-25% off depending how generous they are that day. Just an extra inscentive for you.

JasonX
04-18-2007, 01:06 AM

Thanks,
Mike
i got the same exact one. My girlfriend got it for me for last Christmas. I love it. and you know with Craftsmen there's life time warranty. I say GET IT!!! the price is good too.

zmile06
04-18-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm using harbor freight sockets. i hate having the star sockets. I dont like the fact they throw in 12 point sockets. Other then that looks like a great price for some tools.

Slider
04-18-2007, 01:34 AM
And if you don't have one they will most likely try to get you to sign up for a sears card, then you get 15-25% off depending how generous they are that day. Just an extra inscentive for you.

Oh, that's great, thanks for the tip I was just gonna order online with my credit card.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-18-2007, 01:40 AM
My girlfriend bought me a set of Cresent tools last Christmas and they are great. I haven't had a problem with them yet and use them daily. I'd go ahead and get the kit.

donteatbugs
04-18-2007, 01:45 AM
i have that set as well. the only thing is you will prolly want more extensions, a set of 3/8 drive metric wobble sockets,a different 3/8 and 1/4 drive rackets, a 1/2 breaker bar and cheater pipe, a large set of metric 1/2 drive deepwell impact sockets 10-32mm, universal joints for all racket sizes and a set of metric gear wrenchs (not the craftsman ones),

grayscale
04-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Meh, I've got about $3grand worth of tools. I have really grown to dislike Crafstman tools over the past several years since they started making the hand grips on all of them with square edges, it's very uncomfortable. Then again i use my tools everyday all day long. I'll keep preaching the same thing I have been for a while now- Husky. They carry the same type of warranty all the other good ones do but with a smaller price tag. They don't have squat to look at online but if you go into a home depot they have several different sets. They are the rounded grip type, so they feel much better. I also like their wrenches better as they are made a bit longer than others and you can exert a bit more force on them.

All this aside, it really depends on what you are buying them for. If all you will use them on is your Celica then I would suggest skipping the sets all together and buying indiviually. All those sae tools in the set will be virtually useless. donteatbugs is on the right track. You can get a full set of metric sockets in each drive size together, a full set of several extensions/universals/adapters, a large set of metric deep well impact sockets, 1/2in breaker, metric allen wrenches, a couple of pry bars and seperator forks, nut drivers, and screwdrivers. As far as wrenches go, I know the gear wrenches are a bit on the expensive side, but I strongly reccomend them, they are one of the best tool investments I have ever made bar none. If you don't want to spring for those then I would suggest the Husky wrenches, they are the best i have and I have a lot, trust me. Also, Husky makes a line of Pro Ratchets that own all. They have the smallest head of any ratchet which is very helpfull and the smallest ratcheting radius of any which means you can still move them in very small places. Socket brand isn't so much different but again, I find the Husky to be just the right size on everything. Anyway, enough of my Husky plug...

Shadowlife25
04-18-2007, 03:39 AM
When I was wrenchin full-time, I had a craftsman set. It's ok for at-home stuff, but I always preferred to use my MAC or Snap-On gear. For around the garage at home purposes though, it's good enough.

90celicaGTX
04-18-2007, 06:03 AM
I'm using harbor freight sockets. i hate having the star sockets. I dont like the fact they throw in 12 point sockets. Other then that looks like a great price for some tools.

harbor freight is da shiz naz!!!!

JasonX
04-18-2007, 07:55 AM
harbor freight is the cheapest. but the quality is cheap too. I also have the Husky Pro. Awesome set. and then i also got my Skill brand and like I said the same exact Craftman that I love. All from the gf. Feels good. lol. I told her to get me tools every X-mas.

Slider
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I bit the bullet and got it, signed up for the sears gold card which gave me $15 off also. Thanks for everyones input.

Some of the Harbor Freight stuff is pretty decent, I heard a lot of people praise one of their torque wrenches since Craftsman ones kept on breaking on the person. I got my timing gun from there. Too bad I gotta kinda far drive to one.

donteatbugs
04-19-2007, 12:27 AM
get the deepwell impact set from harbor freight and the breaker bar.

zmile06
04-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Harbor Freights tools are good, just stay away from the 12 point sockets. Next time i buy tools the sockets will all be 6 point.

And i have harbor freights torque wrench, and it kicks ass. Goes from 0-90, and it was only 30 bucks. Its a clicker too, kicks ass.

Only problem is on hub nuts you need like 200 pounds, gota buy the expensive torque wrench for that shyt.

celica9303
04-19-2007, 04:54 AM
i have that set as well,
very good but along with donteatbugs and grayscale you will want to get the extrastuff as they suggested. good choice for a starter though

i love my IR airtools

Murgatroy
04-19-2007, 05:02 AM
I don't think I have ever bought just one toolset to do the job. You will always want more. You need at least two sets of wrenches, wobbleheads and breaker bars. That is not counting your specialty tools like torque wrenches, c-clamps and so forth.

About a year ago I had $3000 worth of toolboxes stolen from me. Including my electrical tool box. Schmucks, I bet they don't even know how to solder ICs to breadboards and so forth.

I have spent close to $200 buying tools just for general maintenance.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-19-2007, 06:20 AM
Not only does the girlfriend get me awsome tools, but some of her family does too. Set of rachet wrenches last Christmas from her grandmother. It's great!

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
04-19-2007, 06:42 AM
my dad just recently got this like idk 10-12 piece ratchet set and it has the sweetest grip and feels so comfortable, and its heavy so it can loosen/tighten anything...i would like to get my own set of tools in the next year though....ill get back to yall on what brand they are...think they are a cheapo depot type ratchet but i like it...

Futant3
04-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Since we are talking tools what are the opinions on torque wrenches??

I'd probably like something small for smaller jobs and torque values, and another for big torque numbers like suspension work, etc. Most of my tools are Craftsman but I've heard nothing but bad things about their torque wrenches. Used to using the click type.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I have a Torando brand. It was on sale at our local parts store for $40. It's the clicking type. It's one of the best that I've used.

zmile06
04-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Good torque wrenches cost a ton, just buy a harbor freight one. If you do alot of torque work spend like 100-150 on one. Harbor freights torque wrenches click, and are very nice.

As for the tool feeling comfortable, i want a comfortable tool tool, but you cant have a huge handle it gets in the way.

9VNMOUS9
04-19-2007, 05:26 PM
mac tools is the way to go, snap-on makes some good ones too

PhillyDRFT
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
mac tools is the way to go, snap-on makes some good ones too

Agreed. there both great lasting and comfortable tools. IF you have a lot of money or you're a mechanic. For the DIY-er who only works on his own car for the weekend. Theres nothing wrong with cheeping out a bit on tools.

The money you pay for mac and snap-on is mostly for the warranty and knowing if your tool breaks, the guy is going to come by with the tool truck tomorrow and replace it for you. Saving techs a lot of time which is money to them. For the price of one set of wrenches you can buy about 3 at sears or home depot.