PDA

View Full Version : any rwd 5th gen coupes?

insomnak8702
04-16-2007, 12:21 PM
read some stuff on the honda forums the other day. yes honda. don't flame me please. well there was a 95 civic hatch that was rwd. they just basically use parts off an s2k. fabricated the axles, custom driveshaft. etc. it just got me thinking has anybody try and made there 5th gen coupe rwd?

extremeskillz
04-16-2007, 01:06 PM
There is a 5th gen on youtube, an alltrac, that did a v8 rwd conversion. Sick car very clean too. Personally i wish the 5th gens were rwd.

85gtsblackman
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
yeah rwd is nice

:wiggle:

90CelicaST
04-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I have since forgot the name of the site that had it, but someone did take a GT/GTS and converted it to RWD using some AllTrac stuff.

PhillyDRFT
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I have since forgot the name of the site that had it, but someone did take a GT/GTS and converted it to RWD using some AllTrac stuff.

did he ever finish? I remember the last pics I saw he had the bottom of the hatch cut out and all of the supports welded in.

90CelicaST
04-16-2007, 04:49 PM
I think it was complete. The parts ended up costing more than the labor.

VikingJZ
04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
That's what I plan on doing to mine eventually.

I always thought that guy converted to AWD. I may be wrong...

Then there's the Autralian UZ185. The guy that owns that car converted to RWD and has a TWIN TURBO 1UZFE V8 under the hood. That engine can be had from a Lexus SC400 (Toyota Soarer overseas).

The 1UZFE is known for being on Ward's Top Ten Best Engines

cms-gt4
04-16-2007, 05:01 PM
I would like to see someone do a RWD conversion with a 3sgte. Maybe use the altrezza 6-speed. If I ever had the free time, $$ and wanted another car project, I would make a rwd 5th gen.

VikingJZ
04-16-2007, 05:12 PM
That was my intent with my GT.

Either AWD or RWD. I'm still debating on what I'll do. I really think the only solution for a RWD 3SGTE is the Altezza six. If I went with a different motor I could use a different tranny, like the 1UZFE.

I'm hoping to make this happen within the next five years.

burnyd
04-16-2007, 05:13 PM
would be cool... but it would take alot of time.. I meen just getting the rwd trans on there and also mounting the motor vertical.....

PhillyDRFT
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I would like to see someone do a RWD conversion with a 3sgte. Maybe use the altrezza 6-speed. If I ever had the free time, $$ and wanted another car project, I would make a rwd 5th gen.

I would rather have the IS300 lol. I don't really get the point of wanting your celica RWD yeah it's nice but you're not going to push that much power from your 5sfe. Then it's going to end up some insane swap thats like a 2jzgtte or vg30dett that will never fit in the engine bay and cost you twice as much as just buying an altrac and swapping something into that.

If you're dead set on making a rwd celica do it on an alltrac. you'll get reamed out by a few people for taking one more off the market but it's ok. It already has the floor pan molded for a driveshaft. if thats not an option, you can always search for a totaled alltrac (I find them often up here.. it's sad) cut the floorpan out and weld it into yours. It will most likely have to be reinforced. Keeping in mind this is what holds you and your passengers inches from 50mph rolling death.

It's really not ethical or daily drivable by the time you're done. Unless you are a diehard celica fan and want nothing more than your car to be rwd it's not worth the time, effort and money to convert. Just buy something that comes rwd. You'll be much happier in the long run.

90CelicaST
04-16-2007, 05:51 PM
That's what I plan on doing to mine eventually.

I always thought that guy converted to AWD. I may be wrong...

If we're talking about the same guy, yes you are right. It was an AWD conversion, not RWD. My bad.

VikingJZ
04-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Why would anyone convert a 5G to AWD/RWD and use a 5SFE?

That wasn't my plan...I'd be using a 3S.