PDA

View Full Version : Battery light?

geebes
04-14-2007, 08:07 PM
My battery light randomly pops up, and not to sound too Jerry Seinfeld but "Whats the deal with that?"

It has just randomly been happening lately, the only thing I can think I have done was I recently took out my HKS "hot air intake" and put the box back in with a k and n filter. It doesn't affect power in the car, but the red light sporadicly blinking in my eye does get annoying.

Any suggestions? :wiggle:

grayscale
04-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Your alternator may be going out. The light comes on when the battery is not recieving the amount of voltage it needs to charge.

geebes
04-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I recently had that changed, so I don't think so...maybe a belt for the alternater? I'll look into it.

VikingJZ
04-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Not likely the belt for the alternator.

The belt could be developing cracks...and would be wise to replace. This, however, will not through the light as indicated above.

You may also have a short somewhere, or your battery may have a defect.

Take your alternator to AutoZone or a place like that and they will test your alternator for free.

They will also want to sell you a new one even if yours is fine. (FYI)

VikingJZ
04-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Oh...check the wiring that connects to the alternator for cracks or dirt on the connection.

A dirty connector can be your problem.

85gtsblackman
04-15-2007, 12:24 AM
is it aftermarket, theres a common problem with guys getting aftermarket reman alt's and they go bad later, go get a starting charging test done

i personally just went though 6 alt's till i got a good one, tested all my wiring too, it was fine just had bad alts

geebes
04-15-2007, 12:43 AM
OOOh...good call man, got it from good ol Schucks. I'll look into it.

85gtsblackman
04-15-2007, 01:52 AM
one i finally ended up getting was from autozone, works fine

grayscale
04-15-2007, 02:19 AM
I recently had that changed, so I don't think so...maybe a belt for the alternater? I'll look into it.
Actually this can be correct. When an alternator belt is tensioned it's not just for proper belt wear. When a belt is too tight or too loose it can cause the alternator to function improperly. You might want to check your belt for proper tension, whether it's new or not. A new belt loses 60% of its tension in the first few hours of operation. So it needs to be tested under heavy load, and then retensioned.
Just to reafirm the brotha's statement, one of the biggest problems with rebuilt alternators(especially from an LKQ parts vendor like Schucks) seems to be faulty or cheap voltage regulators.

Here is my suggestion for anyone who has an alternator go bad- avoid buying a reman from parts stores if at all possible. Instead, ask around or go through the phone book and find the nearest alternator/starter rebuild shop. They do much better work and use much higher quality parts. The price to have it done there is usually cheaper too, but never more than one from the parts store would run you. The last Celica alternator I took down there was boiled down for cleaning, brushes replaced and voltage reg replaced and it cost me $45 and change.

geebes
04-15-2007, 02:57 AM
The last Celica alternator I took down there was boiled down for cleaning, brushes replaced and voltage reg replaced and it cost me $45 and change.

THat is a really good call dude, since thats what you'll be getting a schucks anyway basically.

grayscale
04-15-2007, 03:06 AM
What did the reman cost you?

geebes
04-15-2007, 03:39 AM
What did the reman cost you?

Can't remember, its been about a year.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/geebes1/DSC_0177.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/geebes1/DSC_0179.jpgI installed the glow guages, although I have had those about 2 years, could that have something to do with it?

grayscale
04-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Seriously doubt it. Another interesting thing, I once took an alt to to a schucks type of store to get it checked and they kept telling me it was good. When I took it to the rebuild shop they were able to tell me more about it and why it was actually bad. When you test an alt it's not just enough to spin it up and see if it puts out any current like the parts stores do. You also need to be able put a load on it as if accessories in the car were being used because this will show where it starts to fail. Also, parts stores are not able to test voltage regulators correctly. Toyota volt regs have a specific operating range and if they start to go above or below it they are bad, parts stores are only able to tell that it is sending signals. This where you need to be able to put a load on the regulator to tell if it is responding correctly.

85gtsblackman
04-15-2007, 01:13 PM
next month im gonna be shelling out 217 dollars for a brand new 170 amp alt

my stock unit is only 60, it gets close to 12v with the wipers, a/c, stereo , and lights on :thumbsdow

Melchior
04-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Our cars are really demanding on Alternators; the only perpetual problem i've ever seen with them is they *will not* tolerate any alternator but the best. I went through 4 alternators in 4 years until finally i just bought a top of the line bosch unit, and it's been working wonderfully ever since, even through several bad batteries. Alternator is one place in our cars where you can't skimp even a little, it seems.