PDA

View Full Version : multiple 5SFE water pump failures -- help?

Galcobar
02-02-2005, 06:53 PM
This is an expensive problem.

1990 GT, 5SFE, daily driver, no racing.

I changed my water pumpt when I changed the timing belt at the 200,000km mark.

Four years and 55,000 km later (hadn't been driving a lot) the water pump managed to delubricate itself. You could actually hear the metal rubbing against itself, which is what alerted me.

Several hundred dollars in labour later, I've got a new water pump. It's started making a very similar knocking/scraping sound within the last month. :rant:

My mechanics can barely believe it. They were surprised when the replacement water pump went and say they've NEVER seen two Toyota replacements go in quick succession like this. While it's still under warrenty, I'd like to make sure if possible it doesn't keep happening. I'd give you the pump brand, but having a brain stall at the moment -- mechanics say they are the standard replacement part for Toyotas.

Anybody ever had something similar happen? Was there a problem in the engine causing the water pumps to fail?

nuclearhappines
02-02-2005, 10:37 PM
toyota parts like toyota cars usually last a while

make sure it IS a toyota pump...go to the dealer yourself and buy a water pump and have them install it.

you don't want to use 'toyota equivelant' parts for something like your water pump...

Sometimes a pump will fail because the timing belt is over torqued, which causes alot of strain on the pump pulley, wearing it out sometimes...

hope this helps... honestly besides a bad install i don't know what it could be.

-nuke

TRDmkII
02-03-2005, 07:04 PM
toyota parts like toyota cars usually last a while

make sure it IS a toyota pump...go to the dealer yourself and buy a water pump and have them install it.

you don't want to use 'toyota equivelant' parts for something like your water pump...

Sometimes a pump will fail because the timing belt is over torqued, which causes alot of strain on the pump pulley, wearing it out sometimes...

hope this helps... honestly besides a bad install i don't know what it could be.

-nuke

ditto, never use anything but toyota parts espescially when its an expensive repair. overtightening can cause the pump to fail prematurely and lack of coolant flushes can also cause that type of problem.

alltracman78
02-05-2005, 01:49 AM
Like they said, use only factory parts...
Timing belt is spring tensioned, so it's doubtful it's too tight.
What kind of coolant/mix are you using?
It's best to use Toyota red and distilled water, at least 50/50.

Galcobar
02-05-2005, 02:30 AM
Distilled water? What's that?

I'v never used anything but tap water for everything in our cars, including the batteries.

:D Just bugging you guys. Our tap water is from rain; it's so ridiculously soft it doesn't even leave spots when left to dry. You literally can't buy distilled water in local autoparts stores -- it's unnecessary.

Dr.Auto
02-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Like they said, use only factory parts...
Timing belt is spring tensioned, so it's doubtful it's too tight.
What kind of coolant/mix are you using?
It's best to use Toyota red and distilled water, at least 50/50.

??????????????????

The T-belt is not spring tensioned. It has a spring to help set the tension upon installation. But once installed and the tensioner pulley bolt is tightened that's it. The springs does nothing else after that point.

Distilled H2o is a good idea, but mainly to reduce deposit build up in the cooling system that could be used for science experaments. Toyota red is the only thing I would use along with a Toyota H2o pump, which is actually produced by a subcontractor (Aisin (SP?)) for toyota. The box will say toyota all over it but the pump will have Aisin stamped in it. The technical argument for the coolant could be that the H2o pump O-rings/seals may ude a silicone based rubber that is only compatable with that coolant, but I'm not a mad scientist ranting and raving to proove that point. One more thing to consider besides proper installation would be how good are the idler and tensioner pulley bearings? But with a proper instalation and factory parts I see no reason for you to be experiancing these kinds of problems, something is wrong.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421592001/18.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421592001/19.jpg

Galcobar
02-05-2005, 11:44 AM
If I forget to say it later, thanks to all of you. There have been several suggested reasons I would never have considered otherwise.

Doc -- When that first bad water pump was replaced, we also changed the idler and tensioner pulleys. No labour cost, and they were making noise enough to suggest the bearings had degreased themselves.

From what I understand, Toyota's red coolant is simply designed to last longer, about 45,000 miles, before needing a change and is fairly rare even in Toyota dealerships. I'll ask them about it when I go in to pick up a part tomorrow.