PDA

View Full Version : Pedal questions

Newbster
04-14-2007, 02:57 PM
First of all my gas pedal has too much give and I would like to adjust it. It feels like im pushing into a pillow when i press on it, and only starts accelerating when its more than a few inches pushed down. My brake pedal is perfect though. Any ideas on how I would adjust that? And also I bought custom pedals, will I need to drill holes in the stock pedals to put these on?

Murgatroy
04-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Check and make sure your springs are right. Then check and make sure you don't have too much slack in your accelerator cable.

That is what it sounds like to me.

Your accelerator is connected to your throttlebody by a cable. There will also be a return spring. This is what keeps the pedal taught. Ensure all of this is connected properly.

Shadowlife25
04-16-2007, 07:06 PM
:stupid: :hehe: What he said

This was an issue when I first picked up my AllTrac as well. Took 3 minutes to fix it all :bigthumbu

As for your pedal question, no you should not be required to drill anything.

Murgatroy
04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh, I missed the custom pedal question.

No, they have tabs and mouonting straps. The strap wraps around the back of the factory pedal. Bolt it to the aftermarket part. Then fold the tabs over wrapping and locking it in place.

I have a set on Chaos.

However, in Mudhoney I don't have the room. I have huge feet and they don't fit in the floorboard with the factory pedals. They are too close for a size 14 boot to operate. I am pondering taking the rubber pad off and lining them with skateboard grip tape cut an eigth an inch from the metal edge. Won't be pretty, but they will be functional and give me more room for my feet.

Shadowlife25
04-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Size 14 ??!! You sir, must be a giant ;) I rock a size 12 and its pushing the space constraints of foot room in the AT.
I like the grip tape idea though. Something to consider as it is quite utilitarian. Not sure if the girl would let me though :hehe:

Murgatroy
04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
I have a size 13 foot and I wear two pair of socks since I am on my feet in a warehouse 12 hours a night. I have an old pair of Adidas that fit fine in there, just sometimes it is uncomfortable jumping from brake to gas. I have been thinking of buying some dedicated race shoes for long road trips. Something tight am comfortable that I won't have to walk on much.

Oh, and taking all the floor mats out, that might net me a half inch as well.

Shadowlife25
04-16-2007, 07:47 PM
I'd say about a quarter at most on the mats. Thats the apprx. size of the welting on the mats and the pile is usually around the same. I also find skate shoes to work better than my boots both in size and grip.

Murgatroy
04-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I have the stock Celica mats and aftermarket mud gripping mats. The heavy rubber mats are about a half inch alone. I am not keen on tearing the carpet up though, it is pristine. About the only thing on the car in perfect shape.

The thing with the skate shoes though, a good pair of Vans or DC shoes will set me back about $80, not something I can justify. I have seen the Sparco shoes around $20 with some searching. My next best bet would just be to wrap my bare feet in duct tape, but driving barefoot is illegal. :hehe:

Shadowlife25
04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
My next best bet would just be to wrap my bare feet in duct tape, but driving barefoot is illegal. :hehe:

:lolhittin

Newbster
04-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Well I think I found what your talking about, correct me if im wrong. Now how would I go about actually adjusting these, and which should I adjust first, the spring or the cable?

Also, theres 2 cables on the circular thing that rotates when the pedal is being stepped on. Which cable would I be adjusting?

Newbster
04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
The pedal is getting better, but the cable needs more tightening. I can only get half throttle (pedal hits the floor). Problem is, the cable tightening screw ran out of threading, and ontop of that, if I tighten anymore, it starts turning the throttle wheel. So I dont know what to do next.

gt lifthback
04-25-2007, 07:35 AM
ok so recap...how do we actually adjust them...i have the same problem but i dont know how to go by fixing it (some pictures will actually help)....while i was cleaning the carpet i noticed that the gas pedal was kind of loose...it wasnt firm and i am afraid of taking the pedal apart .......(sorry it's one of the parts in the car that i just dont want to mess with) lol