PDA

View Full Version : CelicaTech Journal: 1972 Toyota Celica ST

VikingJZ
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I've decided to catalog my progress of restoring this car.

After getting the car and putting it on insurance, I decided on getting the Environment plates for the car. I figured, it's the most fuel efficient car I own right now. I also think we should do more to protect the environment.

Three weeks passed before the rear trailing arm mount rusted off. It also needs a complete brake system overhaul.

Most of this stuff will be done by next week...hopefully. I have some money coming my way that will help this along.

Brakes will cost around $250 depending on what I have to buy.

I'm buying:

New calipers (2)
Front pads (2)
ALL hoses (5)
New rotors (2)
Resurfaced Drums (2)
New shoes (2)
New brake hardware(1)

And then lots of fluid.

After that I plan on getting the carb rebuilt. Apparently, it was previously installed with a newer model auto-choke carb, as the choke cable is running into the fender out of sight.

Timing belt, water pump, etc will be replaced. MSD ignition will go in this summer.

Lots to do....will update again.

Cavanagh
04-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Sweet, that thing should stop ALOT better when you replace those...becareful when you put your new brake pads on and be sure to test them before you go out. (Stating the obvoius, just making sure you know) hehe.

VikingJZ
04-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Yep. I know how to properly break in my brakes.

fo sho

VikingJZ
04-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Rear brakes are now done with the exception of wheel cylinders, rear hose, and lines.

The lines appear to be in good shape and aren't rusted. I'm assuming they are relatively new. However, they'll get the boot this summer anyway.

Driver side front caliper popped yesterday. I slammed on the brakes about ten feet from my house and the bleeder valve popped open and leaked fluid.

New calipers are on the way. They are both dragging.

Advance Auto messed up and ordered two passenger side calipers. I picked one up but the other is on its way.

Hoses should be here tomorrow.

If I have time this week, I'll be starting the front brakes.

I'm also having the CD player mounted in a custom location and custom box by a performance shop. I'll then do the wiring that night.

Overall, this car will have cost me less than $1,000 to own and replace parts.

VikingJZ
04-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I've also decided to never order parts from Advance ever again. They refunded ten dollars of one caliper, yet, I still had to drive 15 minutes to pick it up.

Quoting Red Foreman: "Dumbass."

VikingJZ
05-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Car runs fine.

Needs new carb.

85gtsblackman
05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
go to celica-gts.com and pm tomyc48 he has various carbs laying around but im already getting the holley 500cfm for my truck

VikingJZ
08-27-2007, 05:03 AM
I never even saw this.

Anyway, The car is currently down and I am rebuilding the wiring harness. Every...single...wire...is being replaced. Yes it's tedious, and no I probably didn't have to do every wire, but I wanted it done correctly the first time.

VikingJZ
09-07-2007, 04:53 AM
So I decided to buy a different harness and work with that.

Right now the car sits in the garage under a cover.

I'm buying a harness from Dook from www.classic-celica.com for $75 plus shipping.

I may just install it and off we go, but maybe not.

After this I then must inspect the leak sitation. It's either leaking from the distributor or from the valve cover. After that I'm resealing the rear axle, as there's a leak from there too.

VikingJZ
12-01-2007, 07:11 AM
The car is still down for wiring. It probably won't be ready to drive again until spring.

Wiring is such a pain and with school, it becomes even more difficult.

I was told the other night by a supposed friend that the car is basically a lost cause because of the deteriorated rockers and fenders. He just doesn't realize the rarity of a first gen in this area.

Machine shop will basically redo the underside of the car for $300-$500 depending on work needed.

Next summer will come the new fiberglass fenders and rust work.

Once the wiring is complete it should be back on the road for a good long time. If I can ever find a cherry picker at a decent price, I'd like to remove the motor and reseal EVERYTHING.

-----

Other news:

Some of you may know that my father is a retired police officer and president of the local FOP. They run a car show once a year and want me to get mine done to show it. It should be nice if I can ever get it there.

Mr Celica
12-01-2007, 02:49 PM
sounds awesome man! you should get pictures to go along with your diary, i'd love to see the progress. good luck!

grayscale
12-02-2007, 04:45 AM
If I can ever find a cherry picker at a decent price, I'd like to remove the motor and reseal EVERYTHING.
Bah, disassemble motor in place then use a come along hooked to a rafter to pull the block(assuming you have a shop or garage). Then once you're done rebuilding the motor you will have more motivation to buy a picker.

Hookecho
12-02-2007, 04:52 AM
^^you're a riot.

Mr Celica
12-02-2007, 04:58 AM
i have two engine hoists. want one? lol

VikingJZ
12-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Every once in a while I will come across a deal at places like Harbor Freight or an auto parts chain (AutoZone, Advance, etc). The deals always come when I have absolutely no money, especially after dropping off my $8,000 check to the university for tuition and what not.

Damn money. Why can't shit just be free?

VikingJZ
12-06-2007, 05:42 AM
I have pictures of this guy squirreled away. Like I said, the wiring won't get done for a while. I'd like to have it to stop leaking by summer with a brand freakin new carb on it. It just seems that its one problem after another--but hey, I can't complain about a 36 year old car with problems...it was bound to happen anyway.

Its so much fun to drive and I hate just having it sit around. Hopefully this is the last winter it sees outside. It can't rust that much more...lol.

VikingJZ
03-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Soooo

I'm getting SO close to getting a complete harness for this sucker from two people.

Just have to figure this sucker out