PDA

View Full Version : just got exhaust (pics)

celica91gts
04-13-2007, 05:07 AM
so i just got exhaust, i was really scared it would sound horrible but it actually is pretty quite and on the deeper side. i didnt really feel an improvement but my rpms do feel a bit smoother now. i went custom on it. T1 muffler with 2 1/4 pipeing to the cat. i also just got a twm ss and a trd shift knob whoop whoop!

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/shortshiftertrdknob016.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/shortshiftertrdknob013.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/shortshiftertrdknob012.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/shortshiftertrdknob008.jpg

PhillyDRFT
04-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Not too shabby, how much did the whole bit cost you?

Cavanagh
04-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Yes, not to shabby at all. Also, do you have any ext. pics?

celica91gts
04-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Not too shabby, how much did the whole bit cost you?

the muffler i bought from a firned who works at a performance shop for 60$, and the pipeing i got a really good deal on for 100$ the twm shortshifter cost $166.47 and the shipping took 2 week..... lame but w/e i love the feel, as for the trd shift knob, they come in tc's if u get the shoft shifter package, and so i used my asian bargaining skills on a frined to get it for 15 bucks... hehe, not bad i must say so my self.

as for my exterior pictures. i just submitted one to the celica of the month pics. i doubt i'll get it. there are some awesome car pics in that forum. i submitted this pic
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/longdepth.jpg
i have a few others i like.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/DSC01438-1.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/stopactiong-3.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/DSC01446-1.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/DSC01352-1.jpg
interior (some think its a bit ricy... sorry guys, i like it)
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/DSCN0209-1.jpg

Colossus20v
04-13-2007, 06:01 AM
nice.

geebes
04-13-2007, 07:09 AM
the muffler i bought from a firned who works at a performance shop for 60$, and the pipeing i got a really good deal on for 100$ the twm shortshifter cost $166.47 and the shipping took 2 week..... lame but w/e i love the feel, as for the trd shift knob, they come in tc's if u get the shoft shifter package, and so i used my asian bargaining skills on a frined to get it for 15 bucks... hehe, not bad i must say so my self.

interior (some think its a bit ricy... sorry guys, i like it)
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/DSCN0209-1.jpg

I think I like it? But I'm not sure. I have often thought about reapulstering (not sure how to spell the word) my seats...interesting. No wait I think I like it. But I have never been a huge fan of changing the color of the console parts, It looks decent on your car though. the exhaust looks great! You should post a video on how it sounds.

JasonX
04-13-2007, 07:26 AM
is that all to it when it comes to doing cat-back? straight pipe from cat to an aftermarket muffler? to get it welded does the car have to be raised or can i get it unbolted? can i use stainless steel piping? what brand did you use? i also would like mine on the quiter/deeper side. what kind of performance should i expect. i know i'm a real curious one. lol. (car is looking good, I like the pic in the garage)

Cavanagh
04-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Your car looks very clean...have you done or considered an engine swap?

celica91gts
04-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Your car looks very clean...have you done or considered an engine swap?
yes, i did, untill that one guy named "Burn eeee D" on our forum destroyed my dreams.... he didnt really, he just showed me that the swap isnt worth it for only running 14 second times... i donno, i really want to, but he told me that there are a lot of things that are needed, im still confused on it.

celica91gts
04-13-2007, 07:51 AM
is that all to it when it comes to doing cat-back? straight pipe from cat to an aftermarket muffler? to get it welded does the car have to be raised or can i get it unbolted? can i use stainless steel piping? what brand did you use? i also would like mine on the quiter/deeper side. what kind of performance should i expect. i know i'm a real curious one. lol. (car is looking good, I like the pic in the garage)

well, if u want to buy a bolt on catback exhaust, yes u can do it ur self, u just unbolt pipeing and bolt the new stuff on. but if ur going custom then what they do is cut off ur pipeing at the catalic converter and weld on w/e pipeing diameter u want. so for me, they raised my car becuase they have to cut and weld, and they welded on the 2 1/4 pipeing, bent it and what not, and welded on the muffler i bought. if u want to gain more, then get a bigger down pipe and a high flow cat. its easier to raise the car to cut and weld i imagine, if u can do it laying down more power to u. i really didnt feel a gain. all i have is a weapon r intake and my exhaust, u can see my nitrious line in the pics above. when i was running only intake i noticed the rpms were very rough, possibly from a lot of air coming in easily but air going out with ristriction. now with exhaust air is coming in easily and going out easily and all ive noticed is that my rpms go up smoother. (question also, is backflow pressure real? and does it really effect ur performance? when deciding how big my pipeing should be i was afraid of going to big. i was originaly going to go with 2 1/2 but went down to 2 1/4 because i was afraid of back flow pressure.)

amx
04-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Man your car is clean...I love how all the trim disappears in the light. Looks schweet.

I kind of like the interior, too. Was thinking about doing a similar paint scheme on mine but with a darker blue. Very nice.

Cavanagh
04-13-2007, 08:14 AM
yes, i did, untill that one guy named "Burn eeee D" on our forum destroyed my dreams.... he didnt really, he just showed me that the swap isnt worth it for only running 14 second times... i donno, i really want to, but he told me that there are a lot of things that are needed, im still confused on it.
Ahaha good ol'burnyd. Hes just an MR2 fanatic, well i am too. But what forum was this on? It's a hell of alot easier in a GT/GTS than it would be to work withan ST.

celica91gts
04-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Ahaha good ol'burnyd. Hes just an MR2 fanatic, well i am too. But what forum was this on? It's a hell of alot easier in a GT/GTS than it would be to work withan ST.

i met him on here, and then we talked on aim, and showed me that its crazy hard to get a 3sgte to work. and im still confused about the tranny situation. u need the frount clip. the ecu, and the harnesses, u can use the 5sfe engine mounts. and i hear the 5sfe tranny bolts right on but will not last long. and the gear ratios are too short for it to have fun. so people use solara trannys and that comes with lsd. but costs a lot to make a solora tranny work.... all i know. and kinds discouraging me.

slow_yota
04-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Very nice..Interior is def dif too, A black hood liner/carpet would set it off though. :D
So did the muffler shop remove the resonator totally?

grayscale
04-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Not much to it. if you take it to a shop(which I assume you will) they will put it on a rack to work under it. $100 for a cat back pipe is a little steep but not too bad, just shop around before you pick a place.You can use whatever material pipe you want, just be aware that stainless is going to be much more expensive. You won't register much on your butt dyno, but you will notice a small gain in gas mileage.

CollapsedNut
04-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I love the 5th gen gt-s. Ive never seen one in person though lol everything around here is st and gt. nice car love tha paint

1990CelicaGT-S
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Haha, The GT-S is where it's at CN.

Hookecho
04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
looks good man!

zmile06
04-13-2007, 01:51 PM
The engine swap is worth it if YOU do it. If you pay someone else to do it you better get a good deal. Just buy a front clip and be done with it. You can get a front clip without paying too much more and it would be worth it.

How much did getting the seats done cost you? I want to get mine done but im afraid how much it will cost.

JasonX
04-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Not much to it. if you take it to a shop(which I assume you will) they will put it on a rack to work under it. $100 for a cat back pipe is a little steep but not too bad, just shop around before you pick a place.You can use whatever material pipe you want, just be aware that stainless is going to be much more expensive. You won't register much on your butt dyno, but you will notice a small gain in gas mileage.
i was actually thinking about getting it done at the company I work at. We build big machineries. We have excellent welders with tig and fluxcore capabilities. They have real high standards and require passing of x-ray tests. Therefore, I was thinking about unbolting it from wherever i would need to unbolt from (?) and have one of the guys tig weld it. the reason i keep on referring to stainless is because we buy a lot of it. so we either have it in stock or get good prices for it. i'm also interested getting my exhaust squared away. Also trying to keep it on the quiter side. So far, from what i hear from you guys, what i need are downpipe, highflow cat, pipe and muffler. sounds good?

grayscale
04-14-2007, 12:45 AM
That is about all you need unless you want to throw a header in there while you're at it. Pulling out the exhaust and just making a copy of it is much more difficult than it sounds without extensive work. You may be able to get the bends the same but it is near impossible to keep the centerline correct without a flange jig setup or something of the sort, especially when it comes to the bends that go over the axle/arms in the rear. The reason they put it on a rack is so they can bend the pieces and then hold them up as they go along to make sure it follows the pipe path under the car correctly, tweaking it all the while. I assume you have a pipe bender at your workplace that would accomodate this size pipe? I suppose if you and a welder friend had a whole afternoon and access to your shop, you could get it done just fine.

The reason I know all this is because I did about the same thing. I pulled my whole stock exhaust off and took it to the muffler shop and had the guy replicate it for me. Only cost me $55 total cause I went back home and did all the welding myself. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the afternoon cussing and tweaking and beating till i got it all to fit up right. I should have brought the guy a flange jig:(

celica91gts
04-14-2007, 01:26 AM
The engine swap is worth it if YOU do it. If you pay someone else to do it you better get a good deal. Just buy a front clip and be done with it. You can get a front clip without paying too much more and it would be worth it.

How much did getting the seats done cost you? I want to get mine done but im afraid how much it will cost.

the seats were 400$ im planning on doing the rear seats too. i got it estimated around 200$ for the rear seats. im sure i can talk him down to $150? i'll try to.

celica91gts
04-14-2007, 01:29 AM
i was actually thinking about getting it done at the company I work at. We build big machineries. We have excellent welders with tig and fluxcore capabilities. They have real high standards and require passing of x-ray tests. Therefore, I was thinking about unbolting it from wherever i would need to unbolt from (?) and have one of the guys tig weld it. the reason i keep on referring to stainless is because we buy a lot of it. so we either have it in stock or get good prices for it. i'm also interested getting my exhaust squared away. Also trying to keep it on the quiter side. So far, from what i hear from you guys, what i need are downpipe, highflow cat, pipe and muffler. sounds good?

if u want the most performance u can get out of ur exhaust, yeah, get a bigger downpipe, highflow cat, bigger piping and a muffler. usally mufflers with big canisters sound on the deeper end. but too big can also mean farting.... as for the header that greyscale mentions for u to get. i dont think they make header for the 5sfe anymore... i know that monza used to make them and they had horrible design and didnt help air flow at all. same with thier exhaust. i hear that it sounds good and all but they rust after a while.... what i do know though. is the header of the 5sfe in the camry are better then the header in our celicas 5sfe... but i heard u have to do some work to get the camry header to fit right. im not too sure. try asking a senior member about it. im not as knowledgable as them

grayscale
04-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Do a search for header, there are several options available.

90gt-s
04-15-2007, 10:05 PM
what about the wheels, celica91gts? size, brand? i have a black 93 gt-s and im looking for some nice black wheels, but all of wheels i've seen have the ugly polished lip.

Cavanagh
04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Ya know, after re-reading this thread, do you often go to the drag strip? If not, then it really shouldnt matter in your choice of what you do to your car performance wise. Either way its going to be a huge gain of performance and fun ;)

celica91gts
04-16-2007, 12:52 AM
what about the wheels, celica91gts? size, brand? i have a black 93 gt-s and im looking for some nice black wheels, but all of wheels i've seen have the ugly polished lip.

the rims are katana, and thier 17 inch rims. i wanted to get 18. but i personaly 17 is perfect. 18's would have made the ride to stiff and u get pretty good grip with 17 inch rims. the bigger the rims the harder time ur gona have to catch traction. the tires are michelin z rated.

celica91gts
04-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Ya know, after re-reading this thread, do you often go to the drag strip? If not, then it really shouldnt matter in your choice of what you do to your car performance wise. Either way its going to be a huge gain of performance and fun ;)

good point.... i rarely ever go to SIR, i love the 5th gen celica, id be more then happy to do the swap and get boosted. but im really a noob at working on cars. and to do a swap by my self would be damn challenging. i have read threads about doing the swap and ive tried to read them but honestly i dont know half the stuff thats being said and mentioned. like zmile06 said "The engine swap is worth it if YOU do it. If you pay someone else to do it you better get a good deal." i better find a good deal huh?

Cavanagh
04-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Well, with labor and misc. parts and the clip, it'll run you around 5k all together, oh and you DONT have to use the E153 Trans. The one solara/camry/mr2 on, you can use your stock S53 :). Look around your city for some good, realiable shops. And if you REALLY want yours done well, you always have Dr. Tweak, but he is on the east coast. Just search around...

celica91gts
04-16-2007, 03:29 AM
Well, with labor and misc. parts and the clip, it'll run you around 5k all together, oh and you DONT have to use the E153 Trans. The one solara/camry/mr2 on, you can use your stock S53 :). Look around your city for some good, realiable shops. And if you REALLY want yours done well, you always have Dr. Tweak, but he is on the east coast. Just search around...

i know the stock 5sfe tranny will bolt on and work fine. but burnyd told me thier no fun because the gear rations are too short. and that they break down a lot and need to rebuilt constantly.

grayscale
04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
^I already pmed you about all that, reread it and pm me if you have any questions.

KoreanJoey
04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
the bigger the rims the harder time ur gona have to catch traction.

Um... you might want to rethink that statement.

celica91gts
04-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Um... you might want to rethink that statement.

i thought the more tire width u have the easier time ur gona have to catch traction?

grayscale
04-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Do you mean thickness?

CsvtOwnzRice
04-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Lets get some sound clips
- you cant really go wrong with 2.25
- car looks nice

celica91gts
04-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Do you mean thickness?

yes, i thought the thicker the tire the more traction.

celica91gts
04-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Lets get some sound clips
- you cant really go wrong with 2.25
- car looks nice

haha, im all for it. but can anyone help with how to do that? can photobucket do it?

KoreanJoey
04-17-2007, 03:26 AM
the bigger the rims the harder time ur gona have to catch traction.

Yes the wider the tire (first number IE: 225/45/R16)... but there's no truth to this statement that you made earlier.

grayscale
04-17-2007, 03:32 AM
yes, i thought the thicker the tire the more traction.
That really depends on your air pressure.

celica91gts
04-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Yes the wider the tire (first number IE: 225/45/R16)... but there's no truth to this statement that you made earlier.

my mistake. thanks