PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressors?

PhillyDRFT
04-13-2007, 03:56 AM
So I know a lot of you have your garages turned into a shop of some extent. I'm in the process of refinishing my garage and I'm in the market for a new compressor. So what kind do you use? I have no idea what i'm in the market for but I'll be using it for the basics. air ratchet, angle grinder, duel action sander, and my professional paint gun. I don't know how to even estimate how large of a tank or pressure I'll need since I'm used to having 200psi on demand from shop compressors at school lol. The guns max input is 29psi, 2bar it's a satajet 2000. I'm guessing it will be the most consuming of my tools. So whats your recommendation?

I'm looking at this one
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&pid=00916561000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

sloceli
04-13-2007, 04:09 AM
The craftsman you picked is perfect for your needs. For the dual action sander and spray gun you need 7.5+ cfm and that one will do it.

Hookecho
04-13-2007, 04:26 AM
that compressor will meet your needs. you may want to take a look at campbell hausfeld too. that's my preference.

PhillyDRFT
04-13-2007, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the quick replys. I actually looked at campbell hausfeld, AirTech, and DeVilbiss. I like craftsman because I'm a small town white boy and it's what I grew up on lol. that and they offer the best warranty out of them. Since theres a sears almost everywhere I can usually get quick service to it.

geebes
04-13-2007, 06:59 AM
I think youll like that a lot, my dad has a less powerful one and I really like it, I'd assume the same with this one. As far as craftsman I am the same as you are, I grew up with it and they seem to always have the best quality.

grayscale
04-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Husky, go with Husky. Lifetime warranty and repairs from Home Depot. Personally I would get a stronger motor but thats just me. The bigger the motor the faster it will fill the tank and the less it will run. Smaller motors take longer to fill the tank so will end up listening to them run all the time. HD site is down but I'll give you a link to the one I have when it's back up. Air compressors are one area i don't think people should skimp at, especially when runnig grinders and sprayers like you want to, they use more air than anything else. I say get the biggest and best you can afford otherwise you will always wonder if the one you got was worth saving a few bucks.

zmile06
04-13-2007, 01:56 PM
My uncle has a 60 gallon craftsman and it turns on ALL THE TIME, i was just curios if certain tanks can hold more in in a 60 gallon area then others? His is kinda old, and i have to say i hate the noise of them.

My garage is filled by my parents with stuff we will never use, so i have to use my uncles garage:(

grayscale
04-14-2007, 01:09 AM
One of the things that makes a tank run all the time is the low pessure cut on. Some are adjustable and some are not, but either way, when the pressure in a tank falls below a certain level the motor kicks on to fill the tank back up instead of just running out completely. Air compressors are actually an interesting balance. First you need a motor that is properly sized to fill the tank size you have. Tank size dictates how fast you run out of air in general. The tools you use and at what psi dictates specificly how fast you use air. If your tool requires at least say 85psi to operate sufficiently, then you want your motor to kick on before the tank pressure falls below 85psi. Set your cut on press too high and your motor will go and off continuously to keep press up. Set it too low and the motor might not be able to keep up with the volume of air you are using. Same goes for tank size, if it's too small then you will find yourself constantly starting and stopping waiting for pressure to build back up because you ran it out too fast, but if you crank your output pressure way up on a larger tank you can also run into the same problem, as it will be blowing air out faster than need be. So there could be several possibillities as to why your uncles runs all the time and since it's old it may also have leaks:)

I would also suggest a simple line dryer and line oiler if you plan on using yours a lot. They will greatly increase the life of your tools and make the outcome of your paint projects much nicer. Moisture is the enemy of all air tools.

One thing you can do if you can't afford a really large/highflow compessor is to buy a pressure pot and suitable gun for painting instead of using a gravity feed gun.

This is why I feel it is important to buy the best compessor you can afford, it really is a big investment and an insufficient setup can be a real headache.

85gtsblackman
04-14-2007, 01:23 PM
ill get the conpressor specs later, but soon ill be picking up a 30 gallon tank with compressor with a bad electric engine

meanwhile i have a spare side shaft briggs engine that needs a carb and tank, and i have a spare side shaft techcumsuh engine i rebuilt sitting in the garadge, ill use one or the other, the left over is going on my edger

and ill have 4 heavy duty casters on the thing as well cause its already on a wooden frame...so then i can roll it around