PDA

View Full Version : preventative maintaince suggestions?

Melchior
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm replacing my water pump, thermostat and timing/alt belts, as well as removing my manifold/turbo/cat. While I am in this area what else should I refresh? What would you do?
If it's worth replacing I'll replace it. Car has 245,000km on it (150k miles or so) assume everything around there is at least 100,000 km old.

Slider
04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Replace the seals also while you're down there

T-spoon
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Replace the bypass hoses/lines that run along the head behind the manfold (hoses from hell). Not a bad idea to replace any piece of rubber hose that's handy, because if it cracks/splits (which they do after a while) it is really no fun to replace them with everything together in the car.

grayscale
04-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Replace or rebuild the oil pump since you will have access to it then.

Melchior
04-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Replace or rebuild the oil pump since you will have access to it then.

Really? I mean, it's not a bad idea, but i'm suprised to hear that. Figured that would be a last-till-engine-quits kind of unit.

grayscale
04-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Just had to do mine at at a little over 300k. Mostly because of oil leaks though. I would strongly reccomend a new or low mileage pump, new crank seal, oil pump gasket and oil pan reseal. I used a pump from an 01 Camry 5sfe w/low miles, any 5sfe pump will fit. The reason for replacing vs rebuilding is that the inevitable shaft play in the pump impeller will cause oil pressure issues sooner or later. Some may last 500k miles, some may not, but altogether I only spent $35 to do all of it and I'll never worry about it again.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
It's good insurance and the pump is inexpensive.

Melchior
04-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Just had to do mine at at a little over 300k. Mostly because of oil leaks though. I would strongly reccomend a new or low mileage pump, new crank seal, oil pump gasket and oil pan reseal. I used a pump from an 01 Camry 5sfe w/low miles, any 5sfe pump will fit. The reason for replacing vs rebuilding is that the inevitable shaft play in the pump impeller will cause oil pressure issues sooner or later. Some may last 500k miles, some may not, but altogether I only spent $35 to do all of it and I'll never worry about it again.

Thanks for the advice, I just took at look at the bgb to see how much extra work this would be, and it doesn't look to bad, and i'd rather not have to worry about oil starvation issues.

After i had some time to think about it, i realized the only real complaint i've ever heard about the 5s-fe (reliablity wise) is that the rod bearings tend to get a little oil starved after high km's, and in fact my gt-s has it bad enough that the rod bearings make a fair amount of noise, so I definately think this will be a wise thing to do now, even though it's a 3s, being that it's the same pump and block i'm sure they have similar issues.

donteatbugs
04-13-2007, 06:36 PM
timing belt tensioner is also a cheap thing that is good to replace. had to wait a week to get it from the dealer though.