PDA

View Full Version : supercharging 5sfe?

nosyt
04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
hey ive been reading up on building up a 5sfte or a swap but then a friend of mine mentioned how the mr2's are commonly supercharged and i was wondering if anyone has ever supercharged an 5sfe engine
what motor was used in the supercharged mr2's and could one be used on this motor application without too many mods ive already searched the forum just looking for some more input maybe so more current info on available kits?

extremeskillz
04-10-2007, 01:05 PM
ripp mods has the supercharger for the 5sfe. I think there website is www.rippmods.com. if not google it and it will show up. There are a few ppl with camrys that have done this mod. Its very compatible with the celica since it the same motor.

customlifestylz
04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
the super charger from rippmods is a great idea. But to me not that practical. For the $3500 just for the kit and te factthat they only fabricate it every now and then you could either do a swap to the 3sgte or build a very nice 5sfte setup and have a good cahnce of getting more hp out of it. Its a great idea to have a supercharger but for the price for our cars i just personally dont see the reason to spend that much money.

nosyt
04-10-2007, 04:07 PM
yeah i looked on rippmods i dont think they make it anymore or at least not right now
but there is no way of using an mr2 charger? hopefully bring the cost down alittle?

T-spoon
04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
yeah i looked on rippmods i dont think they make it anymore or at least not right now
but there is no way of using an mr2 charger? hopefully bring the cost down alittle?

It wouldn't be practical as about everything would be custom. The MR2 charger came on the MK1s so it's built for a 1.6l platform, far different heads, etc. I don't think it would be worth even trying to adapt it to the 5sfe. You'd be better off just buying a blower and building your own kit around it. The only bolt-on option I know of is RIPPmods, which as has been pointed out, cost and availability vs. turbo/swap makes it not a wonderful choice.

partyball
04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
wouldnt it just be easier to swap a 4agze(the mr2 supercharged engine) Has one member on celicatech already done this swap.

burnyd
04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
wouldnt it just be easier to swap a 4agze(the mr2 supercharged engine) Has one member on celicatech already done this swap.

yes on 6gc Ive seen it done... people have done all kinds of stuff with 4a motors. But the guy would have to take his motor out and put a 4agze from a gt.. if it was an st it would be much easier.

but to answer your question... theres no real bolt on kit anymore. And for 3500 dollars.. lol.. you culd build a 5sfte setup for less than that.

Luckynumber5
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
You gotta realize with custom belt drive setup you may run into belt slip, which will frustrate you to no end when you wonder why you aren't getting any power lol

The rippmods kit is neat, they do bolt right on and the fuel management stuff they offer works great, but the gains just aren't up to par. A turbo kit will make better power in the end.

You could try cutting your intake manifold up and attaching an M45 roots supercharger on there like the old jackson racing supercharger for the Hondas.

andy
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
my swap cost me a total of 3000 for the clip and a new clutch setup and front mount, thats the best way to go imo. It nets you not only alot more hp, but alot more reliable hp and the possiblity to go get alot more. I had a turbo 5s, yeah it was fun but i had to worry about it everytime i boosted, It never blew or anything though. yah! 5s powa!

customlifestylz
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
yea i have a 5sfte project in the works right now and i have spent about 1500 so far and i have everything i think i need to keep it safe and reliable with an emanage rather than safc and msd btm. for the cost and all it looks like it may produce as much power as the rippmods kit for 2000 less.

PhillyDRFT
04-11-2007, 12:53 AM
I don't believe the numbers ripp has on there site. They make very good products but it only made about 50-60whp over stock on the mr2 test subject. it's not bad being a ballpark 50% power increase but everyone is right that you can do it cheaper yourself but your not going to match the stock reliability of the 3sgte.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/topic/35798-1.html

geebes
04-11-2007, 02:37 AM
You should try the ripp mods kit! Just because I'm dying to see someone with that on their celi. I think that if it were cheaper, I would be down.

No one else offers anything?

How would you be able to go about fabricating your own supercharger? That would be kinda cool, if it were relatively simple.

PhillyDRFT
04-11-2007, 05:06 AM
How would you be able to go about fabricating your own supercharger? That would be kinda cool, if it were relatively simple.

The theory is simple, the reality isn't.

Luckynumber5
04-11-2007, 07:43 PM
^ word, the RIPP kit uses an expensive centrifugal unit and a custom made pulley/driveshaft setup. The other way to supercharge the 5sfe is to cut the intake manifold apart, reweld an adapter plate for an M45 supercharger or a M62 (off SS Cobalt) and then bolt the intake back on. Thats only if there is enough clearance from the supercharger to the firewall. Then aside from all the fueling issues (roots blowers heat air up bad, you need a lot of extra fuel when in boost) you will need a custom belt and tensioner setup, wouldn't be too hard but you would need some skill with cutting and precision welding your own parts. THEN after all that you don't even know how much boost the supercharger will be making because you don't know the pulley ratios for your crank pulley and the supercharger pulley. It's doable but I don't think someone new to custom performance has the skill necessary.

burnyd
04-11-2007, 07:54 PM
yea i have a 5sfte project in the works right now and i have spent about 1500 so far and i have everything i think i need to keep it safe and reliable with an emanage rather than safc and msd btm. for the cost and all it looks like it may produce as much power as the rippmods kit for 2000 less.

Sorry there never reliable.

geebes
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Sad day. I'm almost at the point where I have accepted my blue celica as it is. Just a reliable 5sfe, and nothing more.

I love the 5sfe, I would like just a tiny bit more power from it though. Know what I mean? I believe that is the reason for the popularity of the 3sgte swap.

PhillyDRFT
04-12-2007, 05:20 AM
Sad day. I'm almost at the point where I have accepted my blue celica as it is. Just a reliable 5sfe, and nothing more.

I love the 5sfe, I would like just a tiny bit more power from it though. Know what I mean? I believe that is the reason for the popularity of the 3sgte swap.

It's ok we've all delt with it. The celica is a damn fun car to begin with. It looks great and gets great MPG. You can't ask for too much more out of it. How many of you are close to 200k on your 5s?

JasonX
04-12-2007, 05:25 AM
I'm getting there. got 159,000 on it now.

PhillyDRFT
04-12-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm getting there. got 159,000 on it now.

I was at 199,983 when I spun a bearing.

JasonX
04-12-2007, 06:24 AM
so close... you should have pushed it for 17 miles.. lol

CelicaGTS94
04-12-2007, 07:01 PM
235 K here! and still kicking!!

PhillyDRFT
04-12-2007, 07:05 PM
so close... you should have pushed it for 17 miles.. lol

haha it's so shot I barely got it home, I'll run it well past 200k once I get a new engine in it....

But /end threadjack .. If you want a supercharged celica, buy a 7th gen or swap in a 4agze.

burnyd
04-12-2007, 07:43 PM
170k here but im on a 7afe :(

geebes
04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
A young 140k!

nosyt
04-13-2007, 09:37 AM
pff wussies im at 267XXX and still going strong
tomorrow im getting an exhaust made up and intake should be here any day

celica9303
04-14-2007, 08:55 AM

Blue Scapegoat
04-15-2007, 03:13 AM

grayscale
04-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Pfft, 303642 and counting...

ciento44
04-18-2007, 05:53 AM
Call RippModds. Last i heard, they had a very small amount of those superchargers left, if any. If they only have 1 or 2 left, they may very well get rid of them for cheaper. Keep in mind that the kit was never made for the Celica, and was marketed for the Camry. Fitment may be an issue.

The other thing that comes to mind is that people often supercharge the SW20 G-limited overseas, which came with a 3sge. Fundamentally, the 3sge and 5sfe are extremely similar, so that may be a more viable option. However, as has been said in this thread a few times.... swapping will probably be cheaper.

And... bolt on 3sgte > F/I 5sfe in terms of reliability.

<EDIT>
Oh. And 202k miles, and not counting, not changing, not moving. :(

The 'Rex has 121k miles though, can it play?

PhillyDRFT
04-18-2007, 06:10 AM
The other thing that comes to mind is that people often supercharge the SW20 G-limited overseas, which came with a 3sge. Fundamentally, the 3sge and 5sfe are extremely similar, so that may be a more viable option. However, as has been said in this thread a few times.... swapping will probably be cheaper.

Nice addition, I never really see anything done with the 3sge thats not a NA mod.

OT: where the hell have you been?

ciento44
04-18-2007, 06:12 AM
My life story of the last month or so is in Off Topic in the "Members" thread.

Cliffnotes: No job. Busting my ass on hondas. GT doesn't run. Trying to make it through til the ATT job starts. :)

geebes
04-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Call RippModds. Last i heard, they had a very small amount of those superchargers left, if any. If they only have 1 or 2 left, they may very well get rid of them for cheaper. Keep in mind that the kit was never made for the Celica, and was marketed for the Camry. Fitment may be an issue.

DOOOOOO IT! :wiggle:

MrWOT
04-18-2007, 08:26 AM
The only real way if you want good power is to build a kit of a good aftermarket s/c. make yourself a custom intake manifold and sandwich in a wta intercooler core between the s/c and the lower plenum. With that kind of setup you could push some serious numbers depending on your setup. With a non-race only setup I would much rather have a supercharged car over a turbocharged one, much easier on the engine thanks to the lower heat load.

celica9303
04-19-2007, 05:59 AM
none left from rippmods .....out of production last i knew

ciento44
04-19-2007, 06:30 PM
^Yeah, they haven't had it listed on their site for quite some time... but someone called a month or two ago, and they said they had 2 or 3 left.

If someone really wants one, then call and see what they say.

CelicaGTS94
04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
lol, I have a 91 gt sitting in my yard waiting for some floors to be welded, and that car has 448,XXX or so KM's!!!