PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen Power Antenna Uninstall

TEAMFaint
04-08-2007, 08:10 PM
My power antenna has crapped out and the car is getting repainted this weekend so I need to figure out how the hay to take out the power antenna so I can install a new one.

Does anyone here have steps to follow to uninstall my crapped out stock power antenna?

Thank you kindly :)

grayscale
04-08-2007, 11:23 PM
IIRC, when you pull the trim panel out there are like two little bolts that go into the base. There is one more that is harder to see and it's up under there. It's like a little loop thing that holds on to the bottom of the mast. I just can't remember about the hole in the top of the fender.

Galcobar
04-09-2007, 12:47 AM
If this is the ST184, it's a three-part process.

One is to remove the rear trunk interior panel, then the left-hand trunk panel. That will give you access to the power unit itself.

Two is removing the nut holding the antenna in from the outside of the car. There are grooves in the silver nut -- I generally use a flat-head screwdriver to push the nut around, holding the screwdriver in place with a hand wrapped around the nut. This ensures that if you slip, the screwdriver doesn't slice through any paint. Once the nut if off, the seal removes easily.

Then go back inside, and undo the nuts holding the power unit attatched. Drop the unit down and out.

If the motor sounds like it's working and the antenna is not moving, most likely suspect is a broken track. The mast is about $30C from the dealer, dead easy to replace. While I was at it, I disassebled the motor to clean and regrease it.

90celicaGTX
04-09-2007, 05:57 AM
do they make a cover for those to make it flush...

almost like the civics...

TEAMFaint
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Negative unfortunately. I got the 3 piece spoiler so it wouldn't really help out anyways because of the hole in the spoiler piece for the antenna.

Just wonderin' so I can get my 7th gen antenna base ordered from work as well as the S2000 antenna so I can hook it all up with ease :D

insomnak8702
04-09-2007, 08:45 PM
take some pics of the s2k antenna on your car please :wiggle:

Playfortoday
04-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Is the motor engaging? If so, save yourself the big money and just replace the mast. Also, if the motor is not working, make sure is a receiving the 12v remote antenna signal to power up and down. That could be another part of the problem. It is not common for the motor to take a permanent shit on the 5th gen.

TEAMFaint
04-10-2007, 02:13 AM
The motor isnt engaging at all. Haven't seen this antenna move since I bought the car 3 years ago. (wow I cant believe its actually been that long now)

Price isn't a big deal as I will be getting everything @ cost (oh the joys of working at a bodyshop :))

Will take pics as soon as I get the swap done...as well as new paint ;)

Playfortoday
04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
If it has never moved, then there is a good possibility, if you have an aftermarket head unit, that the person who installed your radio did not hook up the remote antenna wire correctly. It's your money though;)

Slider
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Holy crap, just went to check the price since my mast needs replacing

antenna mast, celica, w/o turbo, gt, gt-s 90-93 $263.87 $0.00 $189.99

:thumbsdow

Playfortoday
04-10-2007, 07:56 PM
That price is for the entire assembly including motor. If you want just the mast, you are looking at around $20 from toyota_todd.

Murgatroy
04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
The issue I have with Mudhoney's is refusal to move. I hear the motor running, but it never moves up or down. I installed the head unit, so I know it is perfect, sorry it is something I am good at. ;)

So you say this would be the mast in my issue (sorry to hijack) as opposed to the entire assembly?

How difficult is it to replace just the mast? How difficult would it be to just mount a fixed antenna? Which would get better reception? Cause let me tell you, half masted power antenna gets no reception.

Dan_Q
04-10-2007, 08:32 PM
I just ripped mine out and had it flushed at the bodyshop, looks much cleaner- but saying that I no longer have a radio in my car...........

taking it out was really easy, I bunged the hole with a highlighter until it went to the shop :)

Playfortoday
04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
A fixed mast with have no better reception that a telescopic mast unless one is much larger than the other. Removal is simple. Power on unit, as motor works to deploy mast help it by pulling the mast up. Once you unseize it, if it is seized, you will pull the mast up and out with the tooth-geared cabling that runs up through the mast itself. Now, take new mast, feed toothed cable down into motor until it stops. Power off the radio to start the antenna motor. The teeth may need to face the front of the car or the rear, depending on the car. The teeth with catch on the motor gear if you do it right and pull all the cable and mast down into the motor housing. Done. Repeat process if you don't catch or only catch a portion of the cabling. In order to get all the cabling, it needs to catch right when the motor starts.

Murgatroy
04-10-2007, 09:01 PM
A fixed mast with have no better reception that a telescopic mast unless one is much larger than the other. Removal is simple. Power on unit, as motor works to deploy mast help it by pulling the mast up. Once you unseize it, if it is seized, you will pull the mast up and out with the tooth-geared cabling that runs up through the mast itself. Now, take new mast, feed toothed cable down into motor until it stops. Power off the radio to start the antenna motor. The teeth may need to face the front of the car or the rear, depending on the car. The teeth with catch on the motor gear if you do it right and pull all the cable and mast down into the motor housing. Done. Repeat process if you don't catch or only catch a portion of the cabling. In order to get all the cabling, it needs to catch right when the motor starts.
Sounds easy enough.

grayscale
04-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Mine pooped a while back so I just hepled the stripped thing go up and then yanked the power to it. It's just up all the time now.

acidice333
04-11-2007, 02:30 AM
I replaced mine with an generic aftermarket power antenna. Still works, mounting wasnt much of a problem. You should hit me up a deal on a new paintjob ;)

Galcobar
04-11-2007, 04:27 AM
I had the same issue with a broken antenna mast track. Could hear the motor trying, but the antenna wouldn't move. Easiest way I found to re-engage it was to set the teeth in the gears with the motor open -- just had to ensure it was properly wound down before I reconnected it. Mast was C$30 from the dealer.

Playfortoday
04-11-2007, 01:53 PM
It is easier to just pull up during the mast up motor movement. It is a bitch to wind them when the motor is cracked open and keep the guts happy and wound at the same time, not to mention the messy lithium grease in there. As long as you remove the antenna nut on the outside of the car(locks the mast onto the rear quarter panel), the mast pulls right out during the up motor movement. It saves a ton of time and aggravation. It can be done your way without too much trouble, but it it so much easier to pull/feed in a new mast.

grayscale
04-11-2007, 03:18 PM
The problem I was having was that the motor kept turning for about 10-15 seconds after the mast was up or down. It finally wore the teeth off of the mast cable. What would cause it to do that?

Playfortoday
04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
That will happen if it seizes since the mast cable is plastic. You are lucky the main motor gear stayed unworn. If the teeth on the cable were worn out though, it should have been even easier to pull out unless it was tangled around the motor drive gear.

grayscale
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Wasn't hard to pull out, it actually came up easy with just a little help. I just disconnected cause I got tired of listening to it. Just to clarify, for a long while the mast would go up and down fine but the motor kept on turning after is was up or down, then after some more whiles the mast finally stuck down one day which is when I pulled it back up and left it. So I'm wondering why the motor kept turning when the mast was working fine and will it keep doing that if I get a new mast? (most likely yes but I thought I'd ask)

Playfortoday
04-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I means that the cable was stripped enough that the gear was not receiving enough load to know that it pulled the mast down all the way. IIRC the motor has a crude way of sensing load, and when the mast is down, the cable stops, the motor works harder from resistance, and it shuts off. Think of a circuit breaker. Worst case scenario, you motor went bad and you have an extra mast to sell when you get the new motor. ;)

celica9303
07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
How do you get he mast unseized? My motor runs and engages but is stuck about a quater of he way upand won go down into the body. Got a new mast tryed to pull it up like it said and it wouldn't budge. Id rather not disasseble he motor

caneman
07-26-2008, 03:48 AM
Sounds easy enough.Whoa there everyone. If the track breaks, leaving only a short section connected to the mast, the antenna will only climb out of the car less than its full length. This is because the drive gear can't get a lock on a whole track.

As far as the ease of simply feeding the new mast's track into the antenna housing until the drive wheel catches the nylon track and starts pulling it in, when the track breaks, it sometimes leaves one or more pieces of the nylon track inside the antenna's drive body.

These pieces need to be removed before you feed the new track into the antenna housing, or they'll block the antenna's up and down movement. I had to remove and disassemble my antenna to remove the three separate pieces of broken track from the bottom of the drive housing. Otherwise, feeding a new mast's track down into the tube wouldn't work; it would keep bumping into the broken pieces down at the bottom.

Galcobar
07-26-2008, 03:49 AM
Not really a matter of choice.