PDA

View Full Version : Using Braided SS lines and AN Fittings. . . ?

slow_yota
04-07-2007, 06:42 AM
So i wanna clean up / dress up my engine bay.
has anyone used braided stainless steel hoses with AN Fittings?

The most common size i've seen is the -8 AN Fittings..1st off
What inch diameter is -8?

How do they work?..Do you just insert the hose into the fitting and tighten and the same for the other side?
that seems too easy. . :squint:

Like these-

Fitting:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D220890&view=1&N=700+150+4294924496+

Hosing:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-230810

PhillyDRFT
04-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Thats basically the jist of it. Unless your using all HP fuel or Oil lines, why dont you just buy a sleeve kit. It'll be a lot cheaper and look nicer IMHO.

Murgatroy
04-07-2007, 09:48 PM
To do you engine all out in AN fittings you are gonna spend about $500. You want to go with a Spectre Braided hose kit. Cheaper and easier same 'look.'

Braided hoses are mainly used for racing applications where custom hoses are needed.

You have a fitting that goes into the block then you have another fitting that you attach to that. The second fitting is attached to the hose. You have to make sure the hose is cut perfect, or it won't seal. You have to use special flared wrenches or you will strip the aluminum fittings. It is a big pain in the ass and expensive.

I did it with the fuel system on my old Camaro. It wasn't that complicated, but just tank to carb cost me $100.

slow_yota
04-08-2007, 03:13 AM
I had that spectra cover sleeve shit man.It was crap.It must not of even been real SS cuz i had it on for about 6 months and it started to rust :(=WEAK !
I'm ready to step it up..So on the AN fittings you have to drill and tap the block for the oil/heater hoses? What are Hp lines..high pressure?

PhillyDRFT
04-08-2007, 07:42 AM
I had that spectra cover sleeve shit man.It was crap.It must not of even been real SS cuz i had it on for about 6 months and it started to rust :(=WEAK !
I'm ready to step it up..So on the AN fittings you have to drill and tap the block for the oil/heater hoses? What are Hp lines..high pressure?

yeah high pressure. thats mostly the point of having the lines SS braided it's supposed to add kind of an exo-skeleton to your lines. Ive been told the PSI rating there held to is the strength of the steel braid not the actual rubber of the lines. Theres a big theory about the strength of them compared to a high rated HP line. Also some say dirt will get between the braids and act as a micro abrasive that will eventually eat through strand by strand of the braid until you're down to the non psi rated rubber hose underneath.
ALL speculation, no one has tested any of there theory's so take em as you want.

If you don't need a custom line for something. Like murg said it's not worth it. Just for the cleaner look, get a nice set of sleeves, I used Icheban (sp?) on my 5s before and it held up fine, it's been on there for 2 years. G-Sleves are pretty nice also I think there Kevlar braided sleeves that come in black, blue or red. A little pricey but they clean up a bay nicely without adding the "Big Blingin" effect.

slow_yota
04-08-2007, 05:49 PM
alright, im on summit right now..They have some ss stuff that doesnt envolve the tapping/merging and crap. . So Thanks for the input
if any else is interested AN sizes as follows:

(I.D.)
an-4 = 7/32
an-6 = 11/32
an-8 = 7/16
an-10 = 9/16
an-12 = 11/16
an-16 = 7/8