PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rear engine mount

Punisher
02-02-2005, 03:30 AM
I still haven't found anyone who has a used (fucked up or not) rear engine mount.. but I might as well start finding out how much of a pain in the ass it will be to replace it.. It was a bitch on my corolla because of the steering rack and stuff.. tight spaces plus the exhaust pipe..

So what is the deal with doing it on a '90 manual GTS? what do I need to know before I go into prodedure wise...

Plus if anyone has a rear engine mount for a 5spd 5sfe.. let me know, I don't care if it's completely torn.. I fill em in with poly urethane anyway.

Jaemus
02-03-2005, 07:54 AM
did yours fall off or something?

TRDmkII
02-03-2005, 07:02 PM
they are rather easy...just take off the plate that runs side to side...then remove the nuts pull down the cross rail and it should slide right out, i changed all of mine in under 2 hrs.

Punisher
02-03-2005, 09:16 PM
excellent.. it was such a pain in the ass on my corolla! TRDmkII you don't happen to have your old rear mounts do you?

Heh the one day I spent atleast 4-5hrs doing my rear mount.. the problem is the cross member that runs parellel with the car (Tranny has a solid mount on it runs from body to radiator support) has 2 holes drilled in it.. which of course the studs on the mount go through and then into the suspension cross member which runs side to side.. well you can't get the mount out unless you can like get that parellel crossmember out or shove it out of the way enough.. yadda yadda huge PAIN IN THE ASS.. well when I did it (for the second fucking time) I said screw this.. and I cut the holes out in the crossmember so that next time I could just slip it right out lol.. That plus now I fill all of my mounts in with urethane so they won't ever crack or break again.

alltracman78
02-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Yeah, rear mount looks just like front mount....
Real easy to do.

How does it feel with solid mounts?
How much extra vibration?

Punisher
02-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Well I need to replace the fricken mount in the rear.. someone help me I just need the damn mount!

I fill em in with 3M window weld so it's kind of like really hard silicon.. vibration isn't bad at all.. gives you a bit more responsive acceleration I think and it stops wheel hop.

Punisher
02-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I just took the rear and front mounts out.. piss fucking easy.. took me 30 minutes to do them both.. longest part is waiting for the urethane to cure on them now