PDA

View Full Version : Dry Cell batterys?

PhillyDRFT
04-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Like the title says. Does anyone know of a decent and affordibly priced dry cell battery? I'm relocating mine to the hatch of my 240sx so I need one that doesn't gas. I've been looking at the optima red top but 125$ is a bit steep. If it's worth it and the safer of options i'll end up getting one. Unless someone can sugest a better alternative.

sloceli
04-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Well your first problem is they are not called dry cell they are called sealed or maintenance free. Take a look at the Odyssey batteries they are a little spendy. I have a interstate sealed deep cycle its from an electric wheel chair but it does an awesome job as a car battery and its only $70 bux.

Hookecho
04-06-2007, 01:24 AM
i'm a fan of the interstate battery too.

PhillyDRFT
04-06-2007, 01:29 AM
haha sorry, people always refered to them as dry cell around me since they don't have acid to leek. Thanks for the replys, I'll look into the 70$ one that sounds much nicer.

Edit: does this happen to be it?
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/search.asp?details=1&mscssid=0FLSPKVEWULN9M9F6Q88EPGVJSMT0CTF&N=2147384796+2147384851&part_number=SLA1156&part_desc=12V+++34+Ah++Group+U%2D1+Sealed+AGM+Batt ery&Nu=Part+Number&Ns=product+Type%7C0%7C%7CRank%7C1&js=1

grayscale
04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
+1 for the Odyssey batteries. Very nice, light and very long lasting. There is a retailer on eBay that sells them for very reasonable prices.

sloceli
04-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Nope thats not the one. Its the MVP-U1 http://www.interstatebatteries.com/www_2001/content/products/specs/mvp-u1.pdf
It doesn't have auto terminals which is its only down side. Its size and price is why I chose it.

PhillyDRFT
04-06-2007, 02:19 AM
Thanks a lot. I think i'm sold on the interstate then. ^.^ The odyssey batteries are nice but a little pricey for my wallet. If I ended up spending more than 100$ i would have just goten the base optima red top. Thanks for the opinions everyone. Moving the bat to the hatch lets me add a smaller intake, room for electrical fans ect in my 240 so this helps me out a lot.

Did you order yours online or from a medical supply place?

sloceli
04-06-2007, 03:00 AM
I got mine from a local tuner shop which just happens to be a Nissan shop, the owner has been tunning Nissan's for over 20 years and the interstate is what he stocks and recommends. Here's a pic to give you an idea how small it is.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/9/0/IM000315.JPG

You might have to call interstate or have a local dealer order one for you.

grayscale
04-06-2007, 03:05 AM
What's the width and length on that? I've been wanting the Odyssey cause it's narrow and I want to mount it in the jack cavity in the cargo area. I wonder if this one would fit?

PhillyDRFT
04-06-2007, 03:09 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/834000-834999/834277_5_full.jpg

I found one in a corolla on a 4age blacktop. Your 3sgte looks nice. Looks quite reliable to me for some reason lol. I'll check by one of the shops around here, if not I think theres a powerchair shop about 10 minutes away I can check by.

BTW. howcome you never relocated your battery to the trunk? for the cleaner ground or the saftey of keeping it in the engine bay?

What's the width and length on that? I've been wanting the Odyssey cause it's narrow and I want to mount it in the jack cavity in the cargo area. I wonder if this one would fit?

Sounds like a really good idea for a clean install. but where will you hold your jack? lol j/k

sloceli
04-06-2007, 03:12 AM
Its 5in front to back and 7in in width and hight so 5X7X7

grayscale
04-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Hrm, that might just fit, thanks!

extremeskillz
04-06-2007, 03:15 AM
I had the Optimas and had nothing but trouble with them. I had the red top and fried out in 6 months. In fact my celica blacked out on me while i was driving and had to reset it from a parking lot. Sucked as and last time i buy an optima.

sloceli
04-06-2007, 03:17 AM
Thanks, you should see it now with the front mount, she has never given me any problems. There are few reasons I didn't relocate it. First being that its a FWD I want as much weight over the wheels as possible. Second I didn't want to wire 0 gauge wire all the way to the hatch and its lighter. Basically it was less work less weight and more traction.

alltracman78
04-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I have never had a problem with a redtop, and I've owned many in several different cars.
I like for the high CCAs. Normal batteries with that many are much larger.

The only 2 issues I have are
price
size [they're not huge, I just want a small battery]

Joel, you've never had a hard time starting your car with that?
I've been thinking about a smaller battery for a while.
Stupid WTAIC takes up alot of space....

sloceli
04-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Nope no problems at all. I left my ic on for over an hour (stupid me) and she started like a champ. I also got drunk one night and decided I was going to work on the car. Well I left the key in the on position for about 7 hours, it didn't start but I could still get a crank or to out of her. Any regular battery would have been dead.

T-spoon
04-06-2007, 11:46 PM
In defense of Optimas, supra has a yellow top.. that sat for 2 years.. and then charged up, and sat several months more, then charged again, then drained again.... have driven it all this week without any trouble starting with the only recharge coming from an underdriven alternator, with an electrical system that I know has "leaks" and electric cooling fans that are on from turn of the key that draw about 2-3 volts on their own from the batt.. so... I have to say Optimas are the shiz. If you have trouble with one there's probably something in the car doing something bad or you got really unlucky with the battery.

PhillyDRFT
04-07-2007, 12:46 AM
For grayscale I found this one when I was going around some sites for turbo parts.

Genesis COMPACT Battery
http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/power.html
It's about half way down the page. looks pretty small so for the little jack compartment it might fit well for that.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-07-2007, 01:43 AM
I like the idea of putting it in the jack spot but would it be easy to get the wires in there?

grayscale
04-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks Philly. That one looks to be used as a drain and charge batt for racing and hot lapping, don't know if it would be good for dd and cold starts. I'll look into it more. The Odyssey PC680 I want is a drycell with top posts already attatched and is about the same size and weight. I just need to check if it puts out enough CCAs. It's rated at 300CCA@32*F. Is that enough?

^1990Celica- I already have my battery in the back so my cables are already coming through the jack opening:bigthumbu

PhillyDRFT
04-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Thanks Philly. That one looks to be used as a drain and charge batt for racing and hot lapping, don't know if it would be good for dd and cold starts. I'll look into it more. The Odyssey PC680 I want is a drycell with top posts already attatched and is about the same size and weight. I just need to check if it puts out enough CCAs. It's rated at 300CCA@32*F. Is that enough?

^1990Celica- I already have my battery in the back so my cables are already coming through the jack opening:bigthumbu

It works fine as a DD battery a lot of turbo and NA 240 guys use them to free up room in the engine bay. Since the battery sits too close to the throttle body so the intake makes a 3ft leap over the radiator lol. But if the Odyssey already fits your needs go for it since it's a done deal for you that way. I hope it works out and hides well it'll be a nice clean install. My bat is in a sealed marine box in the hatch, it takes up a bit of room so i'll probly make up a more descrete tiedown.

grayscale
04-07-2007, 06:06 AM
My current dilema is this: I don't want to throw out the battery I have now. A little over a year ago I needed a new battery but didn't have time to get it myself so i asked the old bag if she would pick one up for me. I told her not to get me one of those pos wlamart ones though. Guess what I find when I get home? A 60month full warranty Toyota battery from the dealer! She still won't tell me how much it was. So it's got a little more than 3 years warranty on it, I probably can't sell it for enough for it to be worth it cause it would cost an assload just to ship. I just hate to waste it by putting it on the shelf.

Cavanagh
04-07-2007, 06:31 AM
Damn dude, might as well just stick with the Toyota Battery.

grayscale
04-07-2007, 06:48 AM
I should but I really want my cargo area back and I would like the look much better.

Gary
04-07-2007, 11:03 AM
I've been using the PC680 for about a year now and very happy with it.
No problem starting the car in 45 deg morning.
It doesn't get colder than that down here :)

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1986/dscn5304ad9.jpg

grayscale
04-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Gary, good to hear a real life review. Your car is the sweetness.

partyball
04-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Damn gary your car has to be one of the cleanest Ive ever seen...inside and out. I can never get enough of it.

PhillyDRFT
04-08-2007, 07:44 AM
That was really nice of your wife. Kotah told me she would get me the optima one day but I told her not to because it was way overpriced. What does a factory toyota battery look like? flat black with a logo on it? or just like any off the shelf bat?

grayscale
04-08-2007, 03:56 PM
What does a factory toyota battery look like? flat black with a logo on it? or just like any off the shelf bat?
There's also a big label on the side-
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/HPIM0531.JPG

PhillyDRFT
04-08-2007, 04:30 PM
There's also a big label on the side-
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/HPIM0531.JPG

:bigthumbu not bad lol I had no clue you could even get a dealer batterie.

T-spoon
04-09-2007, 02:00 PM
The true 2s aren't terribly expensive really, in the $60ish range. The 84 months are closer to $85. There's nothing particuarly special about them, but if you just need a regular replacement battery they're good.