PDA

View Full Version : Dimming

ibanezgfx
02-02-2005, 12:08 AM
i have a brand new battery and alternator. my car was doing this before i changed them though. at night when i drive (duh) lights and all are fine when at a steady RPM. when im stopped or the engine slows down, i start dimming. inside, headlights, everything. how can i fix this?

Luni
02-02-2005, 12:47 AM
i have a brand new battery and alternator. my car was doing this before i changed them though. at night when i drive (duh) lights and all are fine when at a steady RPM. when im stopped or the engine slows down, i start dimming. inside, headlights, everything. how can i fix this?

Upgrade your grounds on your engine (add more) and upgrade your negative battery cable thickness. That should take care of it.

See if anyone makes an engine ground kit.

ST162MECH
02-02-2005, 05:59 AM
Alt does not have a high enough output maybe.To much load with stereo on etc. i would try Luni's idea first sound's like a very good place to start

ibanezgfx
02-03-2005, 12:05 AM
i could probably do the negative battery cable thing, but do they sell the ground kits?

Luni
02-03-2005, 01:34 AM
i could probably do the negative battery cable thing, but do they sell the ground kits?
They do for the MR2 and the 7th Gen Celica.

All they are is various lengths of 4-8 gauge cable connected to the right places on the engine. You could build your own. Cable is generally 1 dollar a foot.

ibanezgfx
02-03-2005, 03:25 AM
well tonight the fucking alternator died. i just changed it and the battery a few months ago.
it was really dim when i left to go to the gym at like 830ish and when i came home at 10ish it stalled right before i got home. pisses me the fuck off