PDA

View Full Version : help, grinding aluminum

85gtsblackman
04-02-2007, 04:35 PM
ok so im getting a 60mmtb, and a spere upper intake for my gts, im going to take the spare and grind out the hole so it will be at least as big, if not bigger than the tb inlet/outlet, also i need to grind away the egr port seeing as it blocks about 20% of the air way

what i need help with is what should i use that i can attach to a high speed electric drill, or air drill, angle grinder

my friend did this before with a rasp but it took forever, and a few days, id like to be done in a day, prefferable a few hours or less

thank you

andy
04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
i know your not suppose to but i use regular die grinders for everything. just replace the blade once it builds up.

NDMstang65
04-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Get a carbide cutter at like a specialty place like fastenal or something of that nature...you just have to cut it slow or it will clog it up. You should be able to put it in reverse and hold it against a wire brush and clean the bit out if it starts to clog up...that's what i normally do anyhow.

Conrad_Turbo
04-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Get a carbide cutter at like a specialty place like fastenal or something of that nature...you just have to cut it slow or it will clog it up. You should be able to put it in reverse and hold it against a wire brush and clean the bit out if it starts to clog up...that's what i normally do anyhow.

Bingo. Also grab one of your GF's candles or fancy bath soaps and grind the cutter into it, it'll help reduce the cutter from clogging. Just make sure to put the soap or candle back without the GF knowing. :hehe:

NDMstang65
04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Damn i never thought of a candle or soap...ill have to try that next time...great tip!!

Dan_Q
04-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Great advise :)

Carbide cutters eat through aluminium, if you keep it cool its even quicker :)

For fine grinding I use barrel sanders, although these do clog up quite quickly.

Also if you ever need to cut alloy plate, plasma cutting discs in grinders are superb

grayscale
04-03-2007, 01:07 AM
If you get the carbide cutter, aka burr bit, be sure you get the single and not a double cut. The signle cut is for aluminum, has bigger gaps in the flutes to keep the alum from building up, the double cut is for steel. These things aren't cheap so prepare yourself. Also, how much are you taking off? Carbides can remove a lot of material very quickly so be carefull.