PDA

View Full Version : Car BS **Mazda Engine swap warning** **7th gen misshift woes warning**

Luni
03-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Im swapping an engine right now...

In a Mazda MP3 Protege.

Its not too hard. Engine all disconnected, its just hangin. Just waiting for my buddy to return so we can pull the bitch.

That is all :)

Oh, cause I know people will ask, its cause his old engine is rod knocking and eating oil. He got a sweet deal on a 2002 engine from a Protege ES for 650 shipped to his door.

Lucky bastard.

On a side note, I destroyed the engine in my 7th gen Celica. I misshifted. I have become a statistic.

No fretting though. I got it all under control. I got the money to replace it, I was able to get a signature loan on my own credit to take care of it. YAY.

Let me know if you guys see or hear about any 2zz engines being sold.

Seriously, dont be too sad for me. It was my own damn fault. Ill get her fixed. And she will have a nicer clutch and a lightweight flywheel in her, and a short shifter, and all the revised shifter linkages that make it ALOT harder to misshift.

Murgatroy
03-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Hehe, you keeled it.

celicatrd93
04-01-2007, 12:04 AM
check new celica.org, always parting out cars there. good luck

Murgatroy
04-01-2007, 12:12 AM
check new celica.org, always parting out cars there. good luck
That made me giggle a little.

I think you should.

andy
04-01-2007, 01:02 AM
ryan (vip09) has done this TWICE!!!! in is 01 gts, 1st time bent the valves second time broke a valve off. He also has a spare 2zz in his backyard from a wrecked gts........

xX40ozPimpXx
04-01-2007, 04:03 AM
i sold my complete mazdaspeed Protege drivetrain for 1800.

Swapping in proteges is pretty easy

grayscale
04-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Let me know if you guys see or hear about any 2zz engines being sold.
So is there no other alternative for the 7gc? Did they get the same engine all around the world. I know it's got plenty o' potential, just wondering if there is one with less "hazards".

Cavanagh
04-01-2007, 05:47 AM
Damn that sucks.....Good luck on the future repairs/things done need to it.

helipos
04-01-2007, 01:44 PM
go one of the slightly newer engines i think from a pretty dodgy memory toyota did a few tweaks on the 03- onwards engines to try and stop these mis-shifters.

Regards Cam

Hookecho
04-01-2007, 06:24 PM
at least it gave you a reason to go with a better setup.

vip09
04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
So is there no other alternative for the 7gc? Did they get the same engine all around the world. I know it's got plenty o' potential, just wondering if there is one with less "hazards".

They came with the 1zz-fe and 2zz-ge. Neither one of them has any "hazards". The problem is the driver.

vip09
04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
go one of the slightly newer engines i think from a pretty dodgy memory toyota did a few tweaks on the 03- onwards engines to try and stop these mis-shifters.

Regards Cam

The internals of the engine are exactly the same from 2000-2005. The only differences were an air injection header on the later year 2zz's and Drive-By-Wire throttle body starting in 2003. There were changes to the ECU. In 2002 the rev limiter was lowered from 8,400 RPMS to 7,800 RPMS. Toyota's attempt to lower the amount of over-revved engines. In 2003-2004, the rev limiter was raised back to 8,400 RPMS. In 2005, the rev limiter was lowered again to 7,800 RPMS.

The 2000 and 2001 model year Celica GT-S C60 6-speed transmissions have shift gates that are VERY close together. If you are not paying attention to what you are doing and shift very quickly by jerking the shifter you can end up in the wrong gear very easily. If you are topping out 3rd gear at 8,400 RPMS and slip into 2nd gear by acccident while trying to slam 4th gear.. you will end up at over 10,000 RPMS. Valve float on the 2zz-ge starts at about 9,200 RPMS.. so your engine would be toast. Bent valves, possible oil pump damage.... etc.

In 2002, Toyota released a revised C60 6-speed transmission with wider shift gates.

vip09
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
ryan (vip09) has done this TWICE!!!! in is 01 gts, 1st time bent the valves second time broke a valve off. He also has a spare 2zz in his backyard from a wrecked gts........

Yah, I have a spare 2zz.. but its not for sale! It's waiting on an MR-S shell!

TheNefariousOne
04-01-2007, 07:25 PM
From what I've read, it is ultimately the driver, BUT the design of the shifter in the Celicas makes it much easier to misshift.

vip09
04-01-2007, 07:37 PM
From what I've read, it is ultimately the driver, BUT the design of the shifter in the Celicas makes it much easier to misshift.

The problem is in the transmission itself, not the shifter. I know from personal experience.

vip09
04-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Luni: What is the extent of the damage to the engine? The first time I miss-shifted, the only thing that needed replacing was the valves. What gear/rpm were you at?

Ricksta
04-02-2007, 01:20 AM
how exactly do you miss shift?

TheNefariousOne
04-02-2007, 01:34 AM
You accidently throw it into a lower gear than you intended. I.E. you're trying to downshift to 4th but instead you get 2nd. 2nd at high speed = way past redline. Engine go BOOM. Get it? :hehe:

It's happened to a lot of 7th gens because the gears are so closely spaced.

Ricksta
04-02-2007, 02:54 AM
well unless your downshifting in a hurry i dont see how you would do it. slowing down in normal traffic conditions i ease the clutch out when downshifting. ive had that happen to me before and clutched it back in before the rpms went too high.

vip09
04-02-2007, 07:56 AM
well unless your downshifting in a hurry i dont see how you would do it. slowing down in normal traffic conditions i ease the clutch out when downshifting. ive had that happen to me before and clutched it back in before the rpms went too high.

You would have to drive one of the early year 7th gens to see how easy it is to do.

Luni
04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I have one of the first 7th gens.

I was at 8300 RPM in 3rd gear and I found 2nd instead of 4th.

Im pretty sure my damage goes beyond just valves. When I try and start the thing it just turns over like the starter is freespinning. That means I believe the timing chain and stuff are not even connected. I doubt its just valves.

If I destroyed the timing assembly, that means the cams are likely damaged. The cam gears are damaged. The crank pulley might be damaged. Everything could be damaged.

Then theres the long term effects of what COULD have happened at such a high rpm. The oil pump might be dead, the main bearings might be damaged, the journals, the thrust bearing might be damaged. The flywheel could be damaged. All of these ive read about already happeneing from misshifting over on newcelica.org.

Im pretty sure Im screwed badly.

On a happy, lighter note, the mazda is running, it starts, idles beautifuly and NO check engine lights (pretty hard considering this thing is OBD2 and if you breathe on the fucker wrong it will throw a CEL LOL)

2kSnakEater
04-02-2007, 06:07 PM
wow, thats nuts. Im sorry about your loss Luni, now put a 3sgte in the bitch and get on with the awd swap.

vip09
04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
wow, thats nuts. Im sorry about your loss Luni, now put a 3sgte in the bitch and get on with the awd swap.

2zz-gte > 3s-gte

Luni: I did the same thing on my 2nd miss-shift. They put a brand new shortblock in my car and replaced several other things as well. If I can find the invoice, I'll scan it for you.

Luni
04-02-2007, 07:26 PM
It was prolly covered under warranty too huh.

Im just on the prowl for a new engine.

I wouldnt mind seeing the invoice though.

Luni
04-03-2007, 02:13 AM
So I got everything done in that damn Protege, and the fucking engine they sent him is WORSE than the original.

Good god I have to swap this fucking motor AGAIN. Im going to go cry now. :(

vip09
04-03-2007, 05:36 AM
It was prolly covered under warranty too huh.

Im just on the prowl for a new engine.

I wouldnt mind seeing the invoice though.

Yeah, I got it covered under warranty twice. The second time around they put in a new tranny, clutch, and flywheel also. I was extremely lucky.