PDA

View Full Version : Timing alterations on a 2000 GTS

rockitrob
03-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know if it possible to alter the timing on my 2000 GTS? It seem really sluggish on the get go as it nearing 100K. You used to be able to revitalize older cars when they neared this age by advancing the timing a few degrees. Is there something that could be done or added to do this?

extremeskillz
03-31-2007, 06:39 PM
A laptop, some tuning software, and some patience is all you need to tune these newer cars. Everything is computerized so that the only way to tune them except for the obvious thinks like new ignition, intake, exhaust, and so on. Hell changing the oil to some synthetic like Royal Purple frees up some HP's

andy
03-31-2007, 08:04 PM
no changing the ign on that, not with out some sort of standalone ecu. sorry. Do try some seafoam though.

rockitrob
04-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Does seafoam need to be forced through the system or can it simply be added to the gas?

alltracman78
04-01-2007, 02:28 PM
It doesn't get forced through, it's sucked through a vaccum line.
It will be a vaccum leak however, and will probably set a CEL.
So after you are done pull the EFI fuse for 1 min.

I wouldn't bother putting any in the oil though.
I always run a can through the intake and a can in the gas tank.

And as Andy said, you can't adjust timing on those Celicas. Not even with a laptop. You will need some type of standalone system. Or a piggyback.

And while the 7th gen Celicas aren't as reliable as the older ones, 100k is not all that bad....

Have you done a tuneup?
How do the plugs look?
Engine air filter?

rockitrob
04-01-2007, 02:37 PM
THX! It has a new short ram intake but I have not done a Tune on it. What type of plugs do you recommend?

hobbie2k
04-01-2007, 06:09 PM
THX! It has a new short ram intake but I have not done a Tune on it. What type of plugs do you recommend?

Has it only been feeling sluggish since you put the short ram on? Maybe that's the problem.

vip09
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
And while the 7th gen Celicas aren't as reliable as the older ones, 100k is not all that bad....

The 7th gen is reliable. I think they get a bad reputation because most people with 7th gens are kids and don't take care of them properly. I have a 2000 GT-S in my backyard that is totalled. It had over 150,000 miles on it.. never a problem. It was owned by 50+ yr old woman. Regular oil changes, etc.

vip09
04-01-2007, 07:29 PM

You need Denso IK20 Iridium plugs.

Is your Check Engine Light on? Does 'lift' still activate at 6,000 rpms?