PDA

View Full Version : is this safe ?

vipergtrdj
03-31-2007, 02:14 AM
Well I have a little situation ..... My celica needs to move about 200feet into my garage, but the water pump is dead. I can not tow it because its in a tight spot, only one car can fit really.
My question is do you guys think its safe to run for about a minute just real quickly to get into the garage without the water pump? the water pump pulley is completely lose and dead, there is no way its gonna work. It would be running for a max of 2-3minutes i would say, if that.
my dad says its a bit of a risk.... do u guys think it could seriously hurt the insides of the engine? I am pulling the engine and rebuilding it. It has a bit of miles on it (195k).

Thanks in advance.

Colossus20v
03-31-2007, 02:16 AM
If you are going to redo it anyway, I'd say go for it.

But why cant you just push it?

MrWOT
03-31-2007, 02:17 AM
It'll be fine, just make it quick.

vipergtrdj
03-31-2007, 02:23 AM
If you are going to redo it anyway, I'd say go for it.

But why cant you just push it?

i cant push it because its against a wall lol .... its a tight spot -- im thinking ill just drive it real quick to the garage and call it good.

CollapsedNut
03-31-2007, 02:47 AM
My celica drove allmost 30 miles with the water pump pully grinding and ripping itself apart then the shaft bearings gave and it let the fin things grind into the housing...im sure you can make it 30 feet

grayscale
03-31-2007, 03:40 AM
No big deal. Water doesn't even make that much of a diff until it starts to warm up. I've bought turn key engines beforeand when you want to test before you buy the are run bone dry for a minute or two cause they are just sitting on stands, no radiator, nothin. I'd say from a cold start you got about 5min since there is already water still in the block unless you blew it all out.

liplip
03-31-2007, 03:47 AM
My celica drove allmost 30 miles with the water pump pully grinding and ripping itself apart then the shaft bearings gave and it let the fin things grind into the housing...im sure you can make it 30 feet

I believe the guy said 200 feet not 30 feet.

2kSnakEater
03-31-2007, 04:48 AM
you have an ST dude, why put all that effort into rebuilding the engine its got? either way you can move the car that far with no problem. Grey is right, your car wont get hot until for that little time its running.

vipergtrdj
03-31-2007, 10:09 AM
well depending on how the engine looks, i may throw another engine in it. not a 3sgte - dont have that much money lol. but possibly a 4age or something. not 100% sure yet.

92CelicaST
03-31-2007, 02:14 PM
I believe the guy said 200 feet not 30 feet.

and i believe you miss read what he said, 30 miles not 30 feet :bigthumbu

but for that short distance you'll be fine until the engine starts to heat up then you'll need to be careful.

Have fun.

oh and dont build the 4AFE they do suck and all the parts i found were very pricey.

go with a 4AGE if you dont have a lot of cash.