PDA

View Full Version : All you sport bike guys tune in

CollapsedNut
03-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Im lookin at gettin a bike ina few weeks instead of a car or truck. Im kinda worried Im not gonna be able to actually ride one though lol. Im 5'5" 130lbs...flat footed to crotch I stand at 30". Everything Ive looked at says seat height is about 30-31", will 130lbs be enough to get a bike to sit down enough? Ive been looking at the 600cc range, is this gonna be too much? its just everything lower then 600 looks kinda gay... So what do yall think I should get?

Colossus20v
03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
most bikes can be adjusted. So dont count yourself out just for being 5'5". I feel taht a 500 or 600 are excellent bikes to learn and get used to driving on. As long as your cool on the throttle you'll be ok. I like yamahas a lot. But check out the reviews on whatever bike you are looking at. Also, do not buy a bike that has damage on it for you first bike. Keep us posted.

Murgatroy
03-30-2007, 07:47 PM
The Kawasaki Ninja 500 should be just about the right height stock. Other manufacturers should have comparable models.

Plus it is possible to lower them.

Fuelish
03-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Not a (motor) biker, here, but am going with tried and true bicycling advice ... get what fits properly...size DOES matter ;) Seriously, don't worry if you think the bike "looks" small ....sounds as though you're the same size as me - I wouldn't care how "big" it looks (or not), I'd want to be able to feel very comfortabe riding it. Good luck with whatever ya decide . FWIW, my former regional supervisor was a really tiny guy who had a decently big bike, and he dropped it on it's side just sitting on it in front of about 10 people - he had to "tippy-toe" to reach the ground while straddling the bike...not good, but...was his choice :) Have fun
Im lookin at gettin a bike ina few weeks instead of a car or truck. Im kinda worried Im not gonna be able to actually ride one though lol. Im 5'5" 130lbs...flat footed to crotch I stand at 30". Everything Ive looked at says seat height is about 30-31", will 130lbs be enough to get a bike to sit down enough? Ive been looking at the 600cc range, is this gonna be too much? its just everything lower then 600 looks kinda gay... So what do yall think I should get?

rockitrob
03-31-2007, 05:40 PM
I ride a Yamaha Venture. Its a touring bike with a curb weight at around 850 lbs. I got it really cheap from my father in law who had it fall on him and break his leg in 3 places. He was trapped for about an hour under it before someone found his skinny little butt. He really enjoyed riding the bike but he hated it when it came to stopping, a very important part of riding. Don't get too big a bike or it will end a lot of things for you like riding or walking.

Murgatroy
03-31-2007, 11:01 PM
I ride a Yamaha Venture. Its a touring bike with a curb weight at around 850 lbs. I got it really cheap from my father in law who had it fall on him and break his leg in 3 places. He was trapped for about an hour under it before someone found his skinny little butt. He really enjoyed riding the bike but he hated it when it came to stopping, a very important part of riding. Don't get too big a bike or it will end a lot of things for you like riding or walking.
My entire family rides, all my Uncles, my father, my grandafther before be passed even my mother at one point. Cruisers, I am the only one to date to own a Crotch Rocket.

Before I was even allowed to learn my Uncle took me outside and kicked over his `68 Panhead. When I managed to pick it up, I was allowed to learn to ride it. If you can not handle the weight of the bike, you DO NOT NEED TO BE ON IT.

01celicagts22
03-31-2007, 11:53 PM
you need to try sitting on a bike. i work at a yamaha dealer. you have to find a bike that you like. the looks the feel of it just by sitting on it.usally any bike can be lowered but remember a lowered bike is not going to handle the same. go with what you like and feels good to you.

Ricksta
04-01-2007, 06:05 AM
you mite like a kawi 636. when you buy it take it to the a local bike shop. they will lower the suspension for you to fit your height and weight a little better. because thier going to be lowering the bike your not going to be able to lean through turns like you normally would and its going to handle a lot differently. the amont of tread your going to be able to use mite be slightly reduced. 500's are ghey, your going to feel like a queer just sitting on one. 600 is just right for you.

grayscale
04-01-2007, 06:39 AM
you mite like a kawi 636. when you buy it take it to the a local bike shop. they will lower the suspension for you to fit your height and weight a little better. because thier going to be lowering the bike your not going to be able to lean through turns like you normally would and its going to handle a lot differently. the amont of tread your going to be able to use mite be slightly reduced. 500's are ghey, your going to feel like a queer just sitting on one. 600 is just right for you.
Rick would know, he's a narrow little stick too :wedge:

CollapsedNut
04-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Im lookin at the Yamaha YZF600R. looks really nice. My uncle actually owns a custom bike shop and can help me with getting it set right, i dont think ill have to lower one much.

Ricksta
04-02-2007, 03:15 AM
i know a bunch of people with r6's. the newer r6's resemble a tiger in away and looks pretty badass, but they also still produce the 04 r6's which you want to watch out for. they are great bikes dont get me wrong and hella easy to stunt on but they feel really cheep when i sit on it and sound horrible with stock exhaust. if you go with the r6 just make sure to get the newer edition.
http://i10.tinypic.com/2uhwvg6.jpg

Ricksta
04-02-2007, 03:16 AM
Rick would know, he's a narrow little stick too :wedge:
simple form of weight reduction my friend... :bigthumbu

CollapsedNut
04-02-2007, 05:50 PM
whats the differance in the R6s and the 600r

2kSnakEater
04-02-2007, 07:56 PM
whats the differance in the R6s and the 600r

you mean the 600RR? thats a Honda bike vs the Yamaha bike.

CollapsedNut
04-02-2007, 09:06 PM
no...the yamaha r6s and the yamaha yzf-600r

Ricksta
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
no...the yamaha r6s and the yamaha yzf-600r
pretty sure your talkin about the same bike dood. the other modle is yzf600s i beleive. that was the cheap one that i was talking about earlier. its a remake of 04 that they keep on producing.

Colossus20v
04-02-2007, 11:29 PM
pretty sure your talkin about the same bike dood. the other modle is yzf600s i beleive. that was the cheap one that i was talking about earlier. its a remake of 04 that they keep on producing.
he is not talking about the same bike at all. They are two different bikes with some similarities.

The yzf600r is more for a sport street touring bike. They are nice and do their job. If you are looking for the sport/track/race feel a R6 is going to be for you.

Just look at the pictures and read some reviews. I was looking at an older yzf600r back in the day before I bought my zx6R, but decided I wanted something more track oriented. Just go sit on them and see what feels right.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/25/0/home.aspx

Guys, if you dont know what your talking about save everyone the headache and not post. Posting misinformation is useless.

CollapsedNut
04-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I went ot my local yamaha dealer today and they had a r6 there that a guy who works there is selling, its allready lowered a lil and my feet touch on both sides but only about an inch of my toes....guy said lowering it more would mess with the handling alot. they only want 7 grand for it and it still looks new...what do yall think

Ricksta
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
what year is it?

Ricksta
04-05-2007, 08:02 PM
he is not talking about the same bike at all. They are two different bikes with some similarities.

The yzf600r is more for a sport street touring bike. They are nice and do their job. If you are looking for the sport/track/race feel a R6 is going to be for you.

Just look at the pictures and read some reviews. I was looking at an older yzf600r back in the day before I bought my zx6R, but decided I wanted something more track oriented. Just go sit on them and see what feels right.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/25/0/home.aspx

Guys, if you dont know what your talking about save everyone the headache and not post. Posting misinformation is useless.

ahhhh my bad. i didnt know they made those anymore lol.

CollapsedNut
04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
o sorry its a 2005. I just found that out though I though it was new when I looked at it...just called to get the vin to get an insurance quote and found its a 2005...it has NO damage and looks brand freakin new

Ricksta
04-05-2007, 09:55 PM
go for it man.

CollapsedNut
04-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Im gettin an insurance quote and my cosigner for it is in FL till tomorrow but saturday HOPEFULLY I'll have it...still gotta go get my motorcycle premit or whtever i gotta have lol

fischman
04-07-2007, 12:49 AM
YZF 600R is a great bike to start on. It's a little down on power compared to the R6s and the new R6 but it is much more comfortable and should be a better height for you. I own the 2006 R6 in Raven like the picture above and it's a tall bike. I believe the seat is at around 31-32" and is really designed for the track as opposed to the street. Although it can still be good for the street. Enjoy the 600R and keep it rubber side down.

Josh

CollapsedNut
04-10-2007, 10:04 PM
well the R6 is a no go insurance for that thing was gonna run me $355 a month!! so what would be a step down out of the high performance range but still fast....thats the whole point of a bike is to go fast why get a slow one? any options?

rockitrob
04-10-2007, 11:02 PM
The point of a bike is the open air and 2 wheels. Even the slowest bikes accelerate really good compared to a car. You would be happy with just about any 650CC bike.

CollapsedNut
04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
I went back to the dealership today and looked at a 2005 sv650s they have with the lowering kit that gives it that sporty look. v-twin motor should lower me in the insurance range so tomorrow when the agency opens ill find out.

Colossus20v
04-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I paid $43 for full coverage on my bike per month. Mine was a 99' but that was also in 2004 when I got the bike.

geebes
04-11-2007, 01:02 AM
The R6 is where its at man. My friend got a new 06 last year, its amazing. You'll have yourself a blasty blast.

CollapsedNut
04-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I dont think Id have to much fun cause every second im riding it Id be tihnking about how im gonna pay $350 in insurance next month

CollapsedNut
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
insurance agency called....$300 a month for the sv650s, they said basically any bike i get is gonna run me 250-300 a month...so i guess i dont get a bike :(

Colossus20v
04-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Did you get in an accident before or something? Seems awfully high.

Colossus20v
04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
How old are you as well?

geebes
04-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Also, you don't really need insurance. Only on hondas. At least in WA st. Or so many of us have heard.

CollapsedNut
04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Im 18 and no accident record. They said that I didnt NEED full coverage but Im not risking it being my first bike, my luck Id wreak it within hours of driving off the lot then Im stuck paying for something I cant drive. I think the reason insurance is so high is about every kid in my area has wreaked about 2 bikes makin insurance agencys think all kids with bikes in this area are stupid.

Colossus20v
04-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I didnt realize you were 18. That is a major reason why your insurance is so high. I am sure if you went to something lower like a 500cc bike or 250cc it would not even be close to that to insure. If you really want a bike check out some smaller bikes or cruiser or something. Then after you get a couple of years under your belt then sell your bike and get a new one.

96celica
04-12-2007, 02:49 PM
for your first bike don't get anything over a 600cc.
the slower your first bike the better off you are

i have a GSXR750 but i've been riding/racing for years
and mine is lowered 3" so my seat height is really really low!

to lower a bike requires buying lowering links aka Dog bones, spinning your rear spring down or up won't really help and that needs to be set correctly...

take your time, ride slow, learn REALLY GOOD basic techniques and PAY ATTENTION to EVERYTHING around you

geebes
04-12-2007, 05:38 PM
^ mmm...good advice.