PDA

View Full Version : custom questions

IDLE13
03-29-2007, 02:43 AM
My car has roll up windows, no ac, and no moon roof. Is there anyway to make my windows electric, get ac put in and put a moonroof in.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-29-2007, 03:02 AM
Well you would have to cut the roof out to fit a moonroof...there could be some problems there.

Theres a company that makes manual to power window conversions. http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autoloc/Products/Products_PW.lasso I haven't seen them in cars but it might be worth looking into.

The best way to do all three of these would be to get another Celica, haha.

TheNefariousOne
03-29-2007, 03:30 AM
I thought all 5th gens came with A/C? Guess not. It'd be more work than its worth to retrofit A/C I'd imagine though.

Power windows/locks are a cinch actually. You need:
interior door panels
electric window actuator thingy
the lock mechanism from the back of the door
all associated wiring
power lock control unit under the dash behind the radio

Everything else can be reused from the manual doors. Pull manual parts out, put power stuff in. Sometimes it can take a little fiddling around but overall it's really not bad.

Moonroof, you could probably get one custom done at a shop, though it'd prolly be too expensive to warrant doing.

gummie
03-29-2007, 04:30 AM
I thought all 5th gens came with A/C? Guess not. It'd be more work than its worth to retrofit A/C I'd imagine though.

Maybe it was an option? Regardless, I agree that it would probably be way more work than it's worth to add AC. You would have to get a new belt, compressor bracket, compressor, condenser, lines, the radiator thingy that goes in the air box, etc.

Moonroof, you could probably get one custom done at a shop, though it'd prolly be too expensive to warrant doing.

I don’t think they’re that expensive, but aftermarket units no where as nice as stock. You could probably go to a junkyard and pull everything you need. You will need a headliner, controls, harness, motor, tracks, and glass (maybe a few more things as well). The only problem I see is if the tracks are welded to the roof. The easiest method to add a sunroof is to cut a roof off a junk car and weld it onto your car honestly. This will take the least amount of time but it will require paint work :D

TheNefariousOne
03-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Well the hardware isn't the problem. Plenty of Celicas came with sunroofs. It's the cutting and welding that will get expensive if you can't do it yourself.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-29-2007, 05:13 AM
And even if you can do it yourself you'd have to be careful with the roof and warping because its thin.

gummie
03-29-2007, 05:18 AM
And even if you can do it yourself you'd have to be careful with the roof and warping because its thin.

You would do it the same way you shave door handles - spot welds. Lots and lots of spot welds.

Either that or keep wet rags on both sides of the seam you're welding to keep it cool.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-29-2007, 05:23 AM
I've seen some go really bad. Bad enough that I don't think I'd try it.

grayscale
03-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Easiest way to do power doors and locks is to find whole doors from a donor car and just swap doors. then all that's left is the inside stuff.

A/C was/is an option. I know it's hard to imagine buying a new car without it but some do.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm just as content cracking the window myself.

2kSnakEater
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
too much work, too much money. Sell the car and get a Celica with all the options you want.