PDA

View Full Version : Repairing rust?

zmile06
03-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Alright so i have alot of rust forming under the trunk lid. And now its starting to come out onto the lip of the trunk lid, the part connecting with the license plate panel. My question is whats the best way to stop rust. I dont want this crap to spread farther. What grit sand papper would you use? And what stuff would you apply to stop the rust? The crap i used previously on it did NOTHING.

grayscale
03-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Rust gone that far is pretty much unstopable without completely removing the infected area, ie cutting out a large chunk. Sounds like you need to start looking for a new decklid.

Hookecho
03-25-2007, 07:28 PM
yup, cutting out the rusted area is all you can do to stop it from spreading.

zmile06
03-25-2007, 07:44 PM
It hasnt rusted thru or even 1/2 the way thru the metal. I'm thinking i might be able to sand it all off if i really sand my ass off:-P Oh well im gona try it, sand papper is cheaper then a new trunk lid. Not to mention i dont wana pay 100 to paint a new trunk lid ARGH.

grayscale
03-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Yea, give it a try. If you can find nice shiney steel in there, you're in luck. Just make sure you go a good ways around it too. A lid the same color couldn't be too hard to find. I see a lot more coupes for parts than anything else.