PDA

View Full Version : MR2 help wanted

partyball
03-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Im looking at possibly trading this guy my celica for his MR2

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=224431

It has a list of things wrong with it. The only one that concerns me is the clutch. How hard is it to replace a clutch on a 2 and how much will it cost. Is the price he has a good deal or could i talk him down.
Thanks

burnyd
03-25-2007, 05:40 AM
6k for that car is a little much honestly.. your best thing to do with a mr2 is to get a good running NA and swap a jdm turbo.

partyball
03-25-2007, 05:50 AM
I thought 6k was a little much too. The only problem with the swap for me is I need a car to drive and I dont have money for two cars rite now. I was gonna trade him basically even up. If I dont get a 2 come winter I probably will go NA and swap.

burnyd
03-25-2007, 06:03 AM
2 come winter lol?

Doesnt sound practical in your case honestly.. I will tell you because you live in PA and you know the weather scheudule... well what its like here.. one day it will be 70-80s the next day it will flurry and snow everywhere...

the car is not good in the snow.. its actually not even good in the rain.. imho.

6k is too much for that car and I honest to god doubt hell trade you a celica for a mr2 turbo with all the things he has done to his car.... 6k is a perfect price for a good clean mr2 for that year and everything done to it.

If you have the need for only one car as a daily driven car I just dont think a mr2 is practical for you... just my opinion.

partyball
03-25-2007, 06:36 AM
No you miss understood me I was saying I need a car to drive in the good months. It will be parked in the winter which will give me time to do the swap then. I wasnt even considering driving a 2 in the snow.

And he was considering the trade cuz he just wants a stock dd.

But you never did answer my question, how hard is it to replace the clutch. You ever changed one yourself?

burnyd
03-25-2007, 06:41 AM
No you miss understood me I was saying I need a car to drive in the good months. It will be parked in the winter which will give me time to do the swap then. I wasnt even considering driving a 2 in the snow.

And he was considering the trade cuz he just wants a stock dd.

But you never did answer my question, how hard is it to replace the clutch. You ever changed one yourself?

Yes, and easy.

Same way you would change it out of a regular fwd celica......

but I wouldnt buy that car if I was you .. just my 2 cents..for 6k its too much money...

Ricksta
03-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Yes, and easy.

Same way you would change it out of a regular fwd celica......

but I wouldnt buy that car if I was you .. just my 2 cents..for 6k its too much money...
+1
if your going to do the swap in the winter time anyways dont waste your money on an mr2 with a motor, buy a shell and swap the jdm motor into that. you'll save lots of $$ that way rather then buying a complete car that still needs work.

partyball
03-25-2007, 05:00 PM
How much is the lsd tranny. From looking on MR2OC people act like its really rare and costs alot. Just wonderin

Ricksta
03-25-2007, 08:02 PM
lsd tranny with axels usually runs about 1500 bucks from what ive seen. and thats not including if you have to ship the damn thing.

burnyd
03-25-2007, 09:52 PM
How much is the lsd tranny. From looking on MR2OC people act like its really rare and costs alot. Just wonderin

about 1200 dollars... then the innerstubs people always want like 300 bux for them.. the trans itself weighs around 130lbs...... it sucks.. if you want lsd your better off just buying a aftermarket diff.

partyball
03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
So you can just by an aftermerket lsd for the stock mr2 tranny. Which tranny does the stock mr2 use?

Luni
03-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Its worth it. Especially with the TDO6 20G kit hes throwing in for free.

It already has a 94 LSD Tranny in it.

Shop would charge anywhere from 300-600 dollars to do a clutch for an MR2.

Clutch itself will run you a bit (you WONT want to put a stock one back in there if you are running a TDO6 kit).

Its worth 6k tho. At least in my opinion it is.

grayscale
03-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Its worth it.
"...and then there was light." I guess if you want some ones opinion you can trust, it doesn't get much better than that. Looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Luni
03-26-2007, 08:51 PM
And its SoAngel. Good respected member of the MR2 community. If youre looking for a car, got the money, and arent afraid to do the clutch or pay someone to do it, its a good MR2.

partyball
03-26-2007, 10:59 PM
burnyd i might be takin your advice and buyin an na. it is only 1500 and i think i can talk him down. it needs alittle work but it will be my project car. im still keepin the celi as a dd. ill keep you guys posted.

T-spoon
03-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Hrm, IMO turbo MR2s are too easy to find to bother with an NA-turbo swap, but to each their own.

Luni
03-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Id do an NA to v6 swap, but I wouldnt do an NA-Turbo swap unless I already owned a NA mr2, or I found a shell for dirt cheap.

partyball
03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
LIke I said i found a good running mr2 na for 1500 or less and it is gonna be a long term project car.

T-spoon
03-26-2007, 11:49 PM
LIke I said i found a good running mr2 na for 1500 or less and it is gonna be a long term project car.

1MZFTTE ftw. Dooo eeeet. :hehe:

burnyd
03-27-2007, 12:00 AM

definately whats best to do..... For the price of that plus a jdm clip you can get to make everything work you can have less into that than buying that car less on insurance and youll have a motor that you know is good.

Luni
03-27-2007, 12:41 AM
I can pretty much vouch for SoAngel on that board.

Im not saying this car is a better buy or whatever than doing it yourself, Im saying that he knows his shit, and he is pretty hardcore into MR2s. Hes had quite a bit of experience with them.

burnyd
03-27-2007, 01:09 AM
I can pretty much vouch for SoAngel on that board.

Im not saying this car is a better buy or whatever than doing it yourself, Im saying that he knows his shit, and he is pretty hardcore into MR2s. Hes had quite a bit of experience with them.

true dat!

partyball
03-27-2007, 01:38 AM
yea i saw he has ownd like 18 mr2s. He definately knows what he is talkin about. I just dont have 6 grand for a car rite now.

Borinal
03-27-2007, 08:39 AM
A good running na for $1500 it's just so cheap. I need something like that for a backup car.