PDA

View Full Version : "The Angriest Celicas"

grayscale
03-24-2007, 09:17 AM
The Angriest Celicas
- GURNEY'S CELICAS USED TO LAUGH AT THE COMPETITION. WE FIND OUT THE PUNCHLINE.

by Matthew Hayashibara
From the September 1999 issue of SPORT COMPACT CAR

Photography: Joe Hayashibara
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/Celica1212.jpg

The sun shines brightly on the grassy hill overlooking the turn at Sears Point, a ribbon of asphalt running through the field of my vision. Cars flash by, entering the periphery of the vision of one eye, and leaving on the opposite side, through the other eye's sight line. I'm very aware of my neck as the cars streak by in bright flashes of color, as my head swings from side to side, as if watching a tennis match. A low rumble comes from the left, emanating from a blue and white Mustang braking for the corner.

But suddenly, a bright white glint of another car follows a Celica, almost noiselessly closing on the roaring Mustang's taillights. The Celica easily out-brakes the Mustang, taking the inside line around the turn. As the driver downshifts, I become aware of the startling noise, the giggle of the turbocharger's bypass valve releasing excess pressure. Like hysterical squirrels on helium, the piercing HEE-hee-hee-hee grates on my eardrums. Momentarily it drowns the Ford's roar, laughing its way past the Mustang as spurts of orange flame squirt from the exhaust.

Laugh at the Fords these very special Celicas did, in the International Motorsports Association's GTO (Grand Touring, over 3.0-liter displacement) class. In 1987, these turbocharged cars laughed all the way to a national championship against cars like the Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro. Built by Dan Gurney's All-American Racers in Santa Ana, Calif. these highly developed race cars incorporated an interesting blend of Japanese technology and good old American hard work and know-how to race past the best the rest had to offer. Though it's been nearly a dozen years since I remember seeing these cars at Sears Point Raceway in Northern California, the memory of these cars burns as bright as the flames shooting from the exhausts. And the laughing turbo sounds still echo on in my mind.

Shadowlife25
03-24-2007, 09:34 AM
This just made me happy. :)
Thank You.

aballz
03-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Amen

Rio_Cyber
03-24-2007, 10:36 AM
what was the engine base for that ? ,
any more pictures, infos, maybe some in action videos :)

TheNefariousOne
03-25-2007, 12:34 AM
You missed a big chunk of the article, mang. Here's the rest at this site:"The Angriest Celicas" (http://www.allamericanracers.com/celicas.html)