PDA

View Full Version : Auto to stick

rockitrob
03-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a 2000 GTS that is stuck in park. In the worst case scenario and I need a transmission at only 92K is it an option to change to a manual transmission without a major overhaul? Will stuff bolt in?

zmile06
03-23-2007, 12:59 AM
I love the plastic trannys in 2000+ celicas:)

Cavanagh
03-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Yea, if you get 6 Speed GTS tranny, it will bolt right up. Im guessing you'll prolly need a new ECU for a manual transmission, not 100% sure, but i know the thing will bolt right up.

TheNefariousOne
03-23-2007, 03:25 AM
It's gonna require a lot of work (and probably money considering that the 7th gens are still fairly new), but I'm sure it's doable. I doubt your auto is done for though...probably just a bad lever or cable or something.

waytooslow
03-23-2007, 06:56 AM
It's not really feasible that your car is stuck in park. All 'park' is is a pawl that sits in some grooves in a shell. Other than that, the trans is effectively in neutral. But like Nefarious said, it sounds like it's a shift cable or lever. Make sure to check around the shifter assembly on the trans for debris. I've found stones blocking arm movement on several occasions before.

rockitrob
03-23-2007, 09:55 PM
I am really Embarrassed at this. The new cold air intake prevented the linkage from moving. I had no idea it was in the front like that. Moding to a short intake corrected this. Is there a cable adjustment for this linkage somewhere?