PDA

View Full Version : Baby Seats

1990CelicaGT-S
03-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I was just wondering if anybody else on CTech has had any experience putting a baby seat into thier Celicas? I'm asking this because it is a major factor determining whether or not I can keep my GT-S.

If anybody has used one in the car how would you rate the relative ease of taking the seat in and out of the car and the feeling of saftey on a scale of 10? Keep in mind I do have a seat with a detachable base.

Thanks for any imput.

-Matt

grayscale
03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
If you're talking about an infant seat, I considered it a real pita because the backseat sits further back from the door opening than other 2 doors. I got through it with mine though, no reason to get rid of it. Oh yeah, and the person sitting in front of the seat will be smothered by the dashboard.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I knew it was going to be a PITA. Any two-door car would be. How would you rate the hole process on a scale of 10 though?

Also, did you use the side of the backseat or the middle?

grayscale
03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Side, no seat belt in the middle. At the time we also had a 98 Eclipse and they were both about the same. I would rate it as a 7, first because I don't have much to compare it to, and second the detachable base makes it a little easier.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Well I went to the local police station and talked to them about putting a middle belt in the car. It's legal as long as you meet the standards that normal seatbelts have and just as safe as the others. The reason I want to use the middle is because if there was to be a side impact crash then the middle is the safest spot.

Im assuming you rated 7 with 10 being easier and 0 being hard? I forgot to mention that.

AstroVannin
03-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok, rear facing seat in Celica = no good. You wont be able to have the pass front set in any locked position, it just has to sit all the way forward. Once they're in the forward facing seat you'r actually in pretty good shape. Theres lots of room. I always install my baby seat on the pass side.... if somone runs a red light your're more likley to be hit on the driver side first, but you could argue either way

Murgatroy
03-22-2007, 06:07 PM
A rear facing infant seat with or without a base will not fit in the back seat of either a 4th Gen Celica or a 5th Gen Celica.

Won't happen.

When we take a trip Becca has to ride in the front seat as that is the only place her seat will fit.

You might be able to find a smaller seat that will fit in the back, but not an infant seat. A baby can't hold her own head up for several months, thus the need for a rear facing seat that will cradle her more. I haven't been able to find a smaller seat that will fit period.

A seat that faces forward might fit, still leaving very little room in the front seat.

In the Buick we keep Becca's seat in the back seat middle. It offers the most absorbtion in the case of an accident and that was what was recomended when we left the hospital with her. Because of the hump and lack of a third seatbelt in a Celica, that is not an option. Plus, as stated above, it simply won't fit.

AstroVannin
03-22-2007, 07:39 PM
A rear facing infant seat with or without a base will not fit in the back seat of either a 4th Gen Celica or a 5th Gen Celica

Won't happen.

Wrong, Ive had one in my 5th gen, so it "will happen". Im not saying it was a good fit...actually is sucked because the front seat just had to sit all the way up, like in the position it would be in to let someone out. I would'nt want to use an infant set in my Celica any more than nessesary.

A seat that faces forward might fit, still leaving very little room in the front seat.

No, a forward facing seat WILL fit, not "might fit". I know this bercause I do so in mine regularly.

The room in the front saet is a little less but not too bad. However, Im 5'5" and my wife is shorter than me so that could play into how much room we think is in the front.

Cavanagh
03-23-2007, 02:33 AM
I doubt adding a seat belt would help, since your kid will almost be at the ceiling since that big dumbass hump in the middle of the back seat.

grayscale
03-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Okay, yes both types of seats fit in the back. We had some kind of Gracco that fit well enough. If you can get a belt in the middle that would be great for the reason you mentioned and that might allow the seat to poke in betwwen leaving a little more room up front. However, I rated that on 1-10 with ten being the hardest, since my wife always complained about what a pita it was to hold the weight of the seat while getting in there. Best suggestion would be, if you know that mommy's little monster is on the way, go out and get a seat early, you'll eventually have to, and find the right one, and start figuring it out. If you want to wait on getting a seat, you can still buy one to try out and return it(thanks to WalMart) :bigthumbu

1990CelicaGT-S
03-23-2007, 05:00 AM
I acctually picked a brand new seat up for $20. Good connections to a couple of boys at a car rentals place.

I was thinking about that hump acctually...would it be just as easy to shave the foam out to level it off? It seems like the seat would sit better that way. I'm not sure what this would do to the seat if anything and if it would have any affect on safety. Any Imput?

Murgatroy
03-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Wrong, Ive had one in my 5th gen, so it "will happen". Im not saying it was a good fit...actually is sucked because the front seat just had to sit all the way up, like in the position it would be in to let someone out. I would'nt want to use an infant set in my Celica any more than nessesary.

No, a forward facing seat WILL fit, not "might fit". I know this bercause I do so in mine regularly.

The room in the front saet is a little less but not too bad. However, Im 5'5" and my wife is shorter than me so that could play into how much room we think is in the front.

I don't think riding with the front seat all the way up and folded over counts as 'fitting.' That is why I put the baby seat in the front. With the wife and I both being over 6' It keeps space at a bare minimum on the occasions we are in the Celicas. In the Buick there is more than enough room.

I wouldn't recomend shaving the hump, it would solve the problem, but eventually your child will be out of a seat. Just expect to have some space issues and it will all work itself out.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Shaving the hump wouldn't be much of a problem because I have a spare cousion sitting around from my GT.

grayscale
03-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Shaving the hump wouldn't be much of a problem because I have a spare cousion sitting around from my GT.
:bigthumbu

1990CelicaGT-S
03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Although it will be ghetto because the GT had black interior and the GT-S had blue...oh well, it's better than cutting up the matching seat.

Think of the weight I'll save by shaving the hump though! Plus the 200+ horses from the baby seat. :hehe: I've acctually been wanting to restich the baby seat in black and red to make it look like a racing seat.

Playfortoday
03-23-2007, 01:25 PM
In all my 2 door coupes/hatchbacks, I have always done rear facing in the front seat with the significant other in the rear seat. This was not much of a problem since I was single throughout much of my son's early childhood until I got married, and my (ex)wife had a corolla, so I just used that when there was more people than just me and me pee-wee.:)

grayscale
03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I've acctually been wanting to restich the baby seat in black and red to make it look like a racing seat.
That would be cool, but only if you stitch me a boot after :yes:

AstroVannin
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
We normally use the Tercel when we all go out together. With a rear facing seat in the Tercel its still a little tight, but that only a rare occasion, sice its our friends that have the infant set, our daughter is in the forward facing kind now.

Actually I was thinking of getting one of these, probably in the blue colour.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/recaro_start_car_seat.htm

grayscale
03-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Actually I was thinking of getting one of these, probably in the blue colour.
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/recaro_start_car_seat.htm
:eek: $350 for a car seat?!

Murgatroy
03-23-2007, 06:29 PM
In all my 2 door coupes/hatchbacks, I have always done rear facing in the front seat with the significant other in the rear seat. This was not much of a problem since I was single throughout much of my son's early childhood until I got married, and my (ex)wife had a corolla, so I just used that when there was more people than just me and me pee-wee.:)
Jessie hates being in the back seat. :hehe:

That is why I put her there.

AstroVannin
03-23-2007, 11:09 PM
:eek: $350 for a car seat?!

I dont think that too bad since it rocks the saftey ratings to the fullest. It also looks awesome and has its own sound system.

Murgatroy
03-24-2007, 05:13 AM
I think it's own sound system is a bit extreme for a carseat, but I have been toying with buying a fancy racing seat type carseat for when Becca is old enough to use it, she should get a few years use out of it. New laws require you to keep your kid in a seat/booster till they are almost 5.

grayscale
03-24-2007, 08:18 AM
My two are 4 and 8 years old. By the time a child gets done with a seat like that it will make you sick to think that you spent that kind of money on it. You are the only one who would get any enjoyment out of it and you can't even sit in it; to them it's just another seat. No thanks, not for me.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
No, thats why I'd rather stitch one up quick and have a few laughs with it.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-25-2007, 05:40 PM
No, thats why I'd rather stitch one up quick and have a few laughs with it.

Thanks for all the help.

grayscale
03-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Yea, doing one yourself would nice. Good luck and post a pic with the things you do!

1990CelicaGT-S
03-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm acctually rebuilding the whole car so if I get my camera working in time I will have many pictures. I was thinking of doing a step-by-step on the baby seat fitting...I don't know if there would be that much use for it on here though.

I don't know why I quoted myself up there...

Murgatroy
03-26-2007, 07:43 PM
You would be surprised at the use it might hold.

Just because the average member is 18 and has no thoughts of a child doesn't mean that it might not pertain to them in the future. ;)

1990CelicaGT-S
03-27-2007, 05:51 AM
You would be surprised at the use it might hold.

Just because the average member is 18 and has no thoughts of a child doesn't mean that it might not pertain to them in the future. ;)

Then it's done. Haha, I'm 18.