PDA

View Full Version : 300zx

partyball
03-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Im considering getting a new car. I think it is time for me to move up to a stronger platform. I really dont want to swap my celica Ive put enough work into it as it is. I really am considering getting a 300zx. Anyone have any experience with them. Things I should look for when buying one. Any good and bad points about the car. Or even suggestions on another car I should look into( Yes Im looking at MR2s also)

Discuss

T-spoon
03-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Im considering getting a new car. I think it is time for me to move up to a stronger platform. I really dont want to swap my celica Ive put enough work into it as it is. I really am considering getting a 300zx. Anyone have any experience with them. Things I should look for when buying one. Any good and bad points about the car. Or even suggestions on another car I should look into( Yes Im looking at MR2s also)

Discuss

Hm. My thoughts on the 300zx. I've heard (have not actually worked on one) that the engine bay isn't particularly friendly, though not as bad as a 3kgt? They're extremely boring looking IMO, which isn't an issue at all performance wise, just personal preference. I would say pick up a 90-92 supra. It really is an excellent chassy, even if you don't want the 7m. There are some good options for other engines in it if you don't (though the 7m is a much better motor than it commonly gets credit for). If set up right the handling is beautiful, far better than you would expect from an older, heavy platform.

Of course I'm not bias.. hah.

partyball
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
yea i was lookin at the old supras too. I was finding a ton more 300s though.

burnyd
03-21-2007, 10:37 PM
eh there okay cars.. I would recomend you getting a 240 though as far as nissans go if thats what your looking into getting.

300zxs look really pretty and all but in all honesty unless you get the boosted version its really not worth anything to mess with. Slow and heavy. As far as Motor swaps go you can do some cool things but the turbo version motor I forget what the exact motor code is but its a pretty expensive motor.

All and all if your not looking to swap your celica to move on to a 300zx your going to spend more money to get a slower car. I dont think it.......

Now mr2s on the other hand... there gods gift to power mated with a 3sgte :D

insomnak8702
03-21-2007, 10:44 PM
my friend has a stock 1992 300z turbo. powerful car. comfortable ride. 2 seater so obviously not as much room as the celica. we drifted the car a couple of times to test out the lsd. haha yeah the car drifts but it's not the best car to drift with cuz of its very heavy chassis. if you're looking for a fast car, the z is not a bad way to go.

hyoctane
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
300zxs look really pretty and all but in all honesty unless you get the boosted version its really not worth anything to mess with. Slow and heavy. As far as Motor swaps go you can do some cool things but the turbo version motor I forget what the exact motor code is but its a pretty expensive motor.

Now mr2s on the other hand... there gods gift to power mated with a 3sgte :D
:stupid: I have to agree 100%... I don't care for them -- Not too aesthetically pleasing IMO, and they are dogs if you don't get the turbo. My stock 2ZZ walked all over my friends 2+2 5-speed... Meh, look elsewhere.

Playfortoday
03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I heard that the head has to be removed on the 300ZX to changed the plugs. Is there any truth to that? If you are going to go for a heavy car like that, why not enjoy the AWD goodness of an Alltrac? Bang for the buck though... I have to agree about the MR2.

burnyd
03-21-2007, 11:15 PM
I heard that the head has to be removed on the 300ZX to changed the plugs. Is there any truth to that? If you are going to go for a heavy car like that, why not enjoy the AWD goodness of an Alltrac? Bang for the buck though... I have to agree about the MR2.

I would believe it lol... the motor is so big and the engine bay is hard to work on... like I was thinking the same thing about the plugs.... it would be just rediculous...

And lets be honest mr2's are the new hotness!

Cavanagh
03-21-2007, 11:50 PM
I agree with burnyd. If your going nissan, might as well get a smaller lighter version of a 300zx, the 240sx. Unless you gots lotsa cash on tap, get the 300z and RB26DETT it (skyline engine) but, i f had a choice, i would go MKIII supra for sure.

burnyd
03-22-2007, 12:04 AM
bradford is a little far away but if you come to pittsburgh you can take a ride in my mr2.

TheNefariousOne
03-22-2007, 12:36 AM
The MR2 and the 300ZX are completely different types of cars though. MR2 is a lightweight go-kart, while the Z is more akin to big HP with the turbo 6cyl but is heavier and such. Kinda like a Japanese version of a Camaro Z28.

Azzazzyn
03-22-2007, 12:38 AM
300zx has a vg30de and vg30dett in em, if your talking about the z32 anyway. The vg30 when it comes to swaps, a front clip is about 16-1800 bucks, which is in the range of a ca18det. The engine is huge, and much like supra's, their dyno queens but oh how they are beautiful. Car was produced from 1990-96 in the states and lasted till 99 in japan. There were some changes made in 96 and the car was dropped from 300 to 280 hp, so if you do get one, 95 and below. Aldo iirc the auto version had smaller turbos and was 280hp for its entire lifespan. If your gonna mod it, I would suggest going with just about all jwt with the parts. Oh, and the Z owners have a saying that goes somethign like " Whatever mod you purchase, purchase in pairs."

I would like to point out also, if you get one, I will be jealous

partyball
03-22-2007, 01:45 AM
First of all if i get a 300 its definately gonna be a tt. Im definately considering the MR2 and older supras but i was doin some car searching today and found many 300zx twin turbos for right around 6 ot 7 grand. Ive been doin some reading on some of the nissan forums and was pretty suprised at how well the 300s react to just some minor upgrades. Anyone else?

And burnyd I might have to take you up on that offer when i visit my friend at CalU.

2kSnakEater
03-22-2007, 02:08 AM
The Z32TT is a beautifull car, but Play was half right, you dont have to take the heads off to change the plugs, but you do have to take the entire upper Intake manifold assm. to do that, just dont do anything that will cause you to have to change the plugs or any acc. for that matter and you should be fine.

Oh and the changes in 96 would be for the OBD2, I would try to find a 96 since then any discount auto parts can scan for codes. Just get a full exhaust plus up the boost to gain that 20hp lost.

VikingJZ
03-22-2007, 02:20 AM
the 90-96 Twin Turbo models make 320 stock.

I'm planning on buying a rough 1985 Z.

You can get the VG30DETT for less than three grand I believe.

Playfortoday
03-22-2007, 02:31 AM
just dont do anything that will cause you to have to change the plugs or any acc. for that matter and you should be fine.

like drive the car:hehe:

PhillyDRFT
03-22-2007, 02:56 AM
z32's are worth it on a 50/50 scale. The early years 90-91 had a lot of electrical problems, Ive delt with 5 300z's in the past year 3 N/A and 2 TT. One of the TT's was a 91 that had horrid electrical problems, He ended up swapping in a VG30DE we found at a local junkyard as his class project. It was his daily driver and he got tired of the hassle with his TT engine, The other TT was a 93 I believe.. Never had a single problem, The car drove like a champ and took daily beatings like a man.

The upper intake manifold should come off to get to the spark plugs but you can get them out without taking it off you just have to be pretty dexterous. The injectors are a PITA to get to though. working in the cramped space of a Z requires a good set of tools also. Keeping in mind you will need to drop a VG30XX for 90% of the fixes and maintenance it will need.

I'm with burnyd that if you're looking at a nissan the 240sx is a much better option. Money and Power wise. Good points of a z32 is that there a very beautiful car, and you have access to a lot of the fairlady body parts that the JDM market got. there comfortable as hell and a kick to drive, the bad parts are that reliability is hit or miss, I don't know anyone with a mediocre z32 they are ither broken all the time or it runs forever. so take it the way you see it. the z's I know are only a small drop in the community of them.

partyball
03-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Now Ive been findin alot of MR2s. God I want an MR2 I just cant get away from toyota. I dont what Im gonna pick.

Cavanagh
03-22-2007, 03:39 AM
If i honeslty had the choice of a 300z tt or a MR2T (or even N/A) I would take the duece, but then again, im obessed with mr2's and toyota, so i guess that doesnt help heh. Good luck on whatever you buy.

Azzazzyn
03-22-2007, 03:50 AM
If your going big power, the z32 can put up a good bit on stock bottomi think around 5-600 and my god are those things beautiful. MR2's are sweet and all, but i'm biased cuz i'm a nissan junkie

BEAMS
03-22-2007, 04:33 AM
It depends what you want out of the car. Go kart handling or old school heavy weight with power to back it up. Chances are with any of these old cars, parts will fail and you will have to fix them. So which one would u prefer to work on?
The supra is a good choice, but u will probably need to get a new head gasket for it unless its already been done recently.

partyball
03-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Yea I think im set on a 2 now. Anyone know of some good deals on one. Im already watchin MR2oc and the autotraders. Thanks for helpin me make up my mind.

burnyd
03-22-2007, 06:09 PM
First of all if i get a 300 its definately gonna be a tt. Im definately considering the MR2 and older supras but i was doin some car searching today and found many 300zx twin turbos for right around 6 ot 7 grand. Ive been doin some reading on some of the nissan forums and was pretty suprised at how well the 300s react to just some minor upgrades. Anyone else?

And burnyd I might have to take you up on that offer when i visit my friend at CalU.

if you have 6-7k to spend please get a mr2... there alot more reliable.. as you see what toyota reliability is like...those 300zx's just arent practical and there basicly dyno queens they weigh a ton... compared to a mr2.. I meen you cant even compare the two!

but I live in Moon township Im about 20 mins away from cal let me know when....

Playfortoday
03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Anything that runs the 3sgte cannot be called reliable once modded. I'll take that to the grave with me.

burnyd
03-23-2007, 05:07 AM
Anything that runs the 3sgte cannot be called reliable once modded. I'll take that to the grave with me.

true.... but of most 4cly cars.. well lets say turbo 2.0l for example it has been the most reliable out of any other I have seen.

turbozo
03-27-2007, 11:31 PM
The Z and MR2 are pretty different vehicles. I've owned 2 Zs, an NA and TT. My brother has an NA and Turbo MR2 at the moment. The power in a TTZ with a few mods (intake, exhaust, boost jets) is amazing. Mine was in the range of 350hp. My brother's MR2 Turbo has about the same mods, intake and exhaust. Though it's quick, you don't get that holy sh*t pushed back in your seat feeling as the Z. The Z definitely feels heavier though has a lot of muscle to support it. A v6TT and turbo 4 feel very different. Have you driven both?

In terms of modding, maintainance, $$, the MR2 defintely wins. The Z will more probably put stress on your wallet compared to the 2. the turbos for example, when they go out or if you upgrade, replacing the single turbo on the 2 is a lot simpler than changing both on the Z. The Z's engine bay is pretty cramped and like someone mentioned, you two of everything.

Both are awesome cars, just comes down to personal preference and practicality.

Zo

partyball
03-28-2007, 03:09 AM
I havent driven either. And the more I thought about it the more I went with the MR2. Being only 18 I dont have the income to support a car that will take alot of money like the 300. I might be buying an MR2 soon. It will be my new project car.