PDA

View Full Version : lighted engine bay idea (worklight)

85gtsblackman
03-20-2007, 10:33 AM
ok so say its dark and your car breaks down or your doing a lil project that may run late and all u have is a flash light

what if u were to rig 1 or 2 fog lights with a switch somewhere under the hood, everything would be well lit and if u are somewhat skilled this whould be easy to do

now thing is where would be a good place to mount them

what do u guys think, i have an extra set of fogs i was debating to this with

1990CelicaGT-S
03-20-2007, 12:43 PM
It would be a good idea. Some cars have these that light when the hood is opened. I've always wanted one. I don't think I'd use a fog light though.

grayscale
03-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Get those little round stickon ones that you push to turn on and glue a magnet to the backs of them, throw in the back or under a seat. Then when you need 'em just whip 'em out and stick to the underside of hood!:)

MCcelica
03-20-2007, 03:55 PM
^Those aren't really very bright. I like the idea, but how you gonna mount it? Two sided tape? Don't really want a bunch of screws coming up out the top of your hood so...

Shadowlife25
03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Go to the wrecking yard and take one off of a 280z(x). Plenty bright and it has lots of extra wire so you can move it where you need it.

PhillyDRFT
03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Use led's make a few 4or5 super bright white led blocks if you can solder. then place them wherever you would need the most light inside your bay then put one up by the middle of the hood. I would say use LED's because in the event of a fuel leak they wont ignite vapors, It's why in shops they don't let techs use the old bulb type work lights. I'm just over thinking the safety aspect but I think it will get you a better result using LEDs too. woulden't cost you any more than 25$ in parts. plus I think it's a good Idea, I might steel it from you once I get my GT finished ;) But since you already have the fog lights why not,

Edit: I know it's a good idea because my blazer had an under hood light stock and it came in handy when I started to get misc coolant leaks in the middle of the night driving home from work.

96celica
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
they actually make stick on LED strips that you can buy at advanced auto...should be pretty easy to use

PhillyDRFT
03-22-2007, 02:33 AM
they actually make stick on LED strips that you can buy at advanced auto...should be pretty easy to use

sorry about the thread jack but about you'r sig.... do you have a curren conversion or are you in the process of?

VikingJZ
03-22-2007, 04:06 AM
Look at a late 80's or early 90's Chevy S10/GMC Sonoma/Jimmy/Blazer.

They have them and are nice.

1990CelicaGT-S
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Use led's make a few 4or5 super bright white led blocks if you can solder. then place them wherever you would need the most light inside your bay then put one up by the middle of the hood. I would say use LED's because in the event of a fuel leak they wont ignite vapors, It's why in shops they don't let techs use the old bulb type work lights. I'm just over thinking the safety aspect but I think it will get you a better result using LEDs too. woulden't cost you any more than 25$ in parts. plus I think it's a good Idea, I might steel it from you once I get my GT finished ;) But since you already have the fog lights why not,

Edit: I know it's a good idea because my blazer had an under hood light stock and it came in handy when I started to get misc coolant leaks in the middle of the night driving home from work.

Good point. You don't want to start a fire for a light. +1 for L.E.D.

Berg
03-25-2007, 12:53 AM
I did something similar to a friends car (its a civic, but the principle is the same):
find Chevy underhood light (think this one came of an Olds). Mount it on the firewall. Run fused power source to it. Disassemble light part and use it as a base to mount some super bright white LEDs (I used narrow beam ones for the centre and wider beam ones for the outside edges). You now have a fused LED light on a retractable wire that should reach to the rear of the car.

I had to use some resistors in the circuit as well. If you dont have any electronics background just look up LED resistor calculator in your search engine to get the values needed.

Cheers,
Berg