PDA

View Full Version : Questions on 3SGTE Swap Into 5th Gen

TEAMFaint
02-01-2005, 02:22 AM
I have been pondering about a 3SGTE swap into my 92 GT-S. I currently have aftermarket lowering springs. On multiple sites I have seen that there are different springs that WILL NOT fit on the All-Trac celica's. Is this because of the AWD? How do I know if mine will not fit? Someone who has done a swap with aftermarket springs, please help me out and lemme know what I would need to see if mine work, or what determines that they dont. Thanks :D

carlosfandango
02-02-2005, 12:38 AM
i just dont understand the question, are you swapping the engine or the AWD system.

is this question about springs or 3sgte swapping. engines and suspension are seperate issues...

TEAMFaint
02-02-2005, 02:06 AM
Its about the AWD system, I guess I shoulda probably put it under suspension column, but ive already switched it once and :thumbsdow
Anyone help out?

ignitedceli
02-02-2005, 02:12 AM
if you're talking about swapping drivetrains then you better get some cash ready.

TEAMFaint
02-02-2005, 02:16 AM
So few more questions:
When puchasing a 3SGTE engine/tranny are some tranny's 5-speed FWD and some 5-speed AWD?

AND

After reviewing many things, I have become more fond of the 3SGE Engine. What are your inputs on this engine? Anyone know the specs for the 3SGE that would fit in the 5th generation? Or any sites which sell these? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
02-02-2005, 05:16 AM
Dont go 3sge, dont know what you've been reading, but if boost is what you want, I would stay away from it.

I know what your thinking about the springs and what not. The reason why they say alltrac springs are no interchangable has nothing to do with the front assembly. The rear suspension on an alltrac is different, thus, all 4 springs are not interchangable.

The mr2 front suspension, the alltrac front suspension, and the celica's front suspension are all interchangeable.

If the 3s you buy is from an alltrac, its going to be an AWD transmission. If its from a mr2, its going to be a RWD, transmission.

Mike431635
02-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Get an ST185 front clip, sell the AWD tranny, and use an MR2 turbo tranny.

And like everyone else said, your Celica is fine with the suspension you have on it now.

CelicaGT4
02-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Note: The Mr2 tranny is technically a FWD tranny since the Mr2 is a mid engine car. The only difference is the shift linkage connects to the other side of the tranny which will have to be swapped out.

Sean
02-02-2005, 07:00 AM
How is it technically a FWD transmission?

The mr2 was the first car to use the E-series transmission, then the camry and solara picked it up. It was built, and intended for use in the Mr2, which is a RWD platform.

If your point is that its still a transverse transaxle, then yes, as well as the engine.

CelicaGT4
02-02-2005, 07:02 AM
a rear wheel drive tranny doesn't have shift linkage!

Sean
02-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Is that the only clause for a RWD transmission? Must not have shift linkages?

TEAMFaint
02-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Sean, what did you end up doing when you did your 3SGTE swap? Which tranny did you end up doing? Did you do the work yourself, or did you get someone else to do it for you? The local car club in town that I'm involved with does engine swaps, but its mostly a Honda club, and they arent too familiar with the Celica's. Im really interested in doing the 3SGTE swap, lemme know Sean :bowdown:

Mike431635
02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Sean used his stock GTS transmission (code S53, same as the one in the GT), but recently swapped in an MR2 transmission. I know I'm not Sean, but I've been following his progress :) AND the lucky bastard got a tranny with a TRD LSD in it!

Man, you can do the swap yourself no problem. I was helping GT4SOM pull the 5S out of his GT and galcrazi was over, and had already done the swap on his car. He told us everything that has to be changed, and believe me it is not much at all. If you have all the right tools and are mechanically inclined, you can have it done in under a week.

TEAMFaint
02-03-2005, 12:48 AM
So, if i were to go to totaljdm.com, and order a 3SGTE engine & tranny, I have two choices, 90-93 3SGTE (Celica) or 94-98 MR2. It would go with the 90-93, and it says that the 5-speed hydraulic transmission is included. Would you recommend that I call this company to find out which transmission comes with the swap? Im sorry, I think I'm completely missing what everyone is saying. :lolhittin
Is it possible to get the swap with just FWD or must it be either AWD or RWD, im an IDIOT:slap:
I really dont know how I am misunderstanding this, as most of you probably know I'm not that bright mechanically with the engine swaps. Can someone just clear this up for me:confused:

Keoni
02-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Did you read the Private message that I sent you? It sounds as though you should do more homework on this swap before calling or e-mailing any JDM importer. Seriously, you are going to get yourself in deep sh*t if you buy just a motor/engine tranny and deeper sh*t if you get a MR2 Turbo 94-98 engine/tranny.

BUY A 90-93 JDM ALL-TRAC FRONT CLIP!!! A front clip is the entire front half of a car with EVERYTHING. Buying motor/tranny packages is bad idea in most cases. I spent almost 2 years messing with my swap because I just bought the motor.It had no wiring harness, Sensors, ECU and the motor also had fried piston rings. Trust me do not go that route.

GT4SOM
02-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Hey faint. Let me start off by welcome aboard. :D I took a look at that website, do not buy from them!! They no longer carry any clips. If you're looking to do the swap, go with a Clip*(front half cut of a jdm GT-four) You could go the rear clip of an mr2 but things tend to get a little complicated. If your getting the 3s out of a GT-Four(st-185 or st-205) The tranny is going to be awd. Yes it can mount onto your car but there a certain power loss issues that aren't clear about the awd tranny. I'd stick with your s-53 tranny and go from there, It should bolt right up. Good luck on this project!

P.S. Don't buy just the motor,tranny and ecu...you'll spend the rest of your life looking for the other components.

TEAMFaint
02-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks for all the help you guys, you cleared up a lot of stuff for me. Thanks espically to Keoni, who provided great pointers for the swap. :woot:

No more answers needed
------------
CLOSED
------------

skydog474
02-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Im in the middle of the swap is there anyone who would be willing to help me out like with just a couple things. I have the engine in and i think only about 3 hoses to hook up and the rest wiring. So let me know if you wouldnt mind me sending one of you like a pm and so we dont have to have a whole thread. Thanks Skyler

YangS
02-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Just a little reminder for people who is buying front clip.
I recently bought an 185 front clip and the body was good I took it all a part and when I did I notice that the body is lighter. Bad for people who dont have support for the clips it will tend to tip over. So if you guys are working on front clip be very careful not to tip the car over you. Get proper tools and make sure you have atleast 2-3 people with you, when you take out the motor the clip will tip over if it is not well balance.

carlosfandango
02-04-2005, 01:46 AM
glad this is cleared up guys.

celicatech = THE resource..

alltracman78
02-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Couple of things I thought I'd clear up.
One, the MR2 front suspension is different than the Celica. It has no driveaxles in the front, therefor the axlecarrier/strut is different. Also, it's not designed to support the weight of a engine.
Same reason the AT suspesion is different in the rear than the reg Celicas.
Someone mentioned using a AT transmission in a fwd Celica. Don't do it. It wont' work, and you will burn up the transmission.