PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell it?

Busted
03-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, I've saved up about $1000 for a new car, but I'm not sure if I want to sell my car and buy a better car with that money plus what I have saved or just make my celica fast. I have a 91 Celica GT with the 2.2 5SFE, its got about 200k miles on it and a salvage title, so I'm not really sure how much it would cost to make it truely fast. Any input would be helpful.

zmile06
03-17-2007, 10:06 PM
To make it fast you do a 3sgte swap... If you have someone do it, it will be around 3k i think? 1,500 for engine + tranny i think then about 1500 labor. Not that bad if you REALLY want some speed. Other alternative is a turbo, but with 200k miles on the engine i wouldnt do it. When i first saved up 1,000 dollars i started replacing things. I started out by buying some nice wheels/tires, springs/struts, NEW bearings pressed, retro A/C, alignment, full tune up, and then i paid someone to buff the hell out of my car. Oh and i got a full exhaust done, including the down pipe.

All that cost more then 1,000 dollars, but i started to invest in my car rather then doing a swap. Dont get me wrong a 3sgte swap and tons of power is GREAT, but a solid daily drive is first on my list.

oh and depending on the car you can get from 2k to 3.5k, i would guess maybe 3k. That leaves with you with 4k to spend on a car. You could pick up a already swapped 3sgte celica if you can located one, but its always risky picking up a swapped celica.

VikingJZ
03-17-2007, 10:26 PM
If you want a fast car for relatively cheap, go buy an 80's Camaro with a 350 in it and do stuff to that. However, it will be an every day car that won't bring you much return in value.

However, I'd recommend staying with the Celica. If properly taken care of, you can make that car last a good amount of time longer. While the Camaro is cheap, you get exactly what you pay for with anything GM. Your Celica can be a fast car with some work.

I would plan on about $5,000 to do your swap. That is including having a shop do the work, but also includes room for some performance upgrades like a front mount intercooler, clutch, flywheel, exhaust, etc.

It doesn't take an obscene amount of work to get 300HP out of a 3SGTE either...

2kSnakEater
03-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Those 80s Camaros that came with the 350 stock are in the $5k plus range, If you want fast cheap I would look for a 93-95 Camaro/Trans Am. You can find on of those with hi milage for $2000-$4000.

Your not going to get much for a 200k mile Celica GT with a salvage tittle, and $1000 wont get you that much farther.

Keep saving your money, keep the Celica as a DD.

PhillyDRFT
03-18-2007, 01:48 AM
for 1k if you don't care about style get a Omni GLH or GLH-S there dirt cheap, and easy to make fast. What is your definition of a truly fast car?

aballz
03-18-2007, 02:26 AM
Salvaged with over 200+ miles? I'm not sure if anyone will buy it, maybe except for parts.

Busted
03-18-2007, 05:14 AM
My definition of a truly fast car is just something that will launch from a stand still and set you back in your seat hard, and will run a quarter mile in around 13 seconds. The 3sgte swap wouldn't be that bad actually, since I wouldn't pay some one to do it for me(I have access to a full garage with two post lifts and about any tool I need 24 hours a day). But I don't trust people enough with my money to order an engine off ebay. I've actually tried to find an Omni for sale, their never on ebay, and I cant find any around here. I want a Camaro, but once again, I can't find one near by for sale thats in good condition.

zmile06
03-18-2007, 05:26 AM
Those 80s Camaros that came with the 350 stock are in the $5k plus range, If you want fast cheap I would look for a 93-95 Camaro/Trans Am. You can find on of those with hi milage for $2000-$4000.

Your not going to get much for a 200k mile Celica GT with a salvage tittle, and $1000 wont get you that much farther.

Keep saving your money, keep the Celica as a DD.

Uhhh, a year ago my buddy was selling a 80's firebird with a 350 swapped into it with less then 100k miles on it... For only 700 bucks.

burnyd
03-18-2007, 05:51 AM
If you want a fast car for relatively cheap, go buy an 80's Camaro with a 350 in it and do stuff to that. However, it will be an every day car that won't bring you much return in value.

However, I'd recommend staying with the Celica. If properly taken care of, you can make that car last a good amount of time longer. While the Camaro is cheap, you get exactly what you pay for with anything GM. Your Celica can be a fast car with some work.

I would plan on about $5,000 to do your swap. That is including having a shop do the work, but also includes room for some performance upgrades like a front mount intercooler, clutch, flywheel, exhaust, etc.

It doesn't take an obscene amount of work to get 300HP out of a 3SGTE either...

HAHAHAHHAA... sorry..

AstroVannin
03-18-2007, 01:24 PM
for 1k if you don't care about style get a Omni GLH or GLH-S there dirt cheap, and easy to make fast.

+1

Busted
03-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Once again, I'd like an Omni, but their impossible to find around here.

Cavanagh
03-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, if you sell your car, how much do you think you'll have? around 3000? Tell us your price range, it should make it a little easier to deterime what we think you should get.

Busted
03-18-2007, 09:20 PM
after selling my car(If I sell it) I'll probably have around $2500. I just looked back on my last post, sorry, it came off a little ass holeish.

Cavanagh
03-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, if you really wanna get rid of your celica, you could pick up some older rx7s,240s and all the other cars everyone has. Just look around.

TheNefariousOne
03-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Uhhh, a year ago my buddy was selling a 80's firebird with a 350 swapped into it with less then 100k miles on it... For only 700 bucks.

He was talking about the third gen F-bodies that came stock with the 350.

2kSnakEater
03-19-2007, 12:13 AM

I was talking about "generalities" everybody has had that one good deal about a buddy that sold this and that for a $1. Did the car run for $700? If it did I bet you there were a ton of other problems like rust of non working acc.

rockitrob
03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
I would drive the Celica into the ground and save my money for something truly better. Everyone is right, 200k with a salvage title won't get you anywhere what it is worth to you. If it runs good keep it as is and don't throw good money after bad as it still won't be worth anything.

Slider
03-20-2007, 02:29 AM
You're not going to get anything better for that much. Keep your Celica, save your money and keep the car stock until you can afford something better.

92CelicaST
03-20-2007, 02:44 AM
may not be the cheapest thing but get you a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (W-body) they run mid-high 13s stock i think and are nice cars

If you wan some pics of one ill show you my dads its nice and runs well haven't takin it to a 1/4 mile track yet... key word

still working on it.

think you can find one from 5k-10k depending on how many miles