PDA

View Full Version : ST vs. STX

92CelicaST
03-15-2007, 09:04 PM
What are the differences between the 5th Gen. ST and STX?

Cavanagh
03-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Some Dealer Options, I THINK sunroofs? alloy wheels (maybe) a nice new badge that says STX. Some other memebers know exaclty what they had.

92CelicaST
03-15-2007, 10:41 PM
ok not a engine difference though?

my dad was arguing over it with me so i had to be sure i was right.

Colossus20v
03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
same engine, just different options.

insomnak8702
03-15-2007, 10:47 PM
same engine..
stx just came with more convenience features...
power windows, locks, etc..

92CelicaST
03-15-2007, 10:50 PM
ok thanks

85gtsblackman
03-15-2007, 11:00 PM
stx did not come with power windows that was a gt-x or a gt

stx had alloys, sunroof/moonroof spoiler, 6.5s in the rear on the early models instead of the 5.25s some got

i did so much to mine i dont remember everything else

insomnak8702
03-15-2007, 11:03 PM
hmm.. that's weird.. my friends 92 stx had power windows. guess each year it changes

Kiasis
03-15-2007, 11:06 PM
No engine differences in any model year, just fancier interior and probably some different paint color options.

90CelicaST
03-16-2007, 06:00 AM
My 1990 STX has black mirrors, a spoiler, had the alloys, and black trim. No power anything. No sun/moonroof

91 celica st
03-16-2007, 07:25 AM
been in an stx with sunroof, spoiler, power indows and doors. 91 red. was the first celica i ever saw and is waht made me buy one

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
03-17-2007, 03:26 AM
i think i have a stx but the emblem broke off and i got whole car repainted and had them leave them all off but ya about the stx options thing, i dont have power windows or locks on mine but i do have a sunroof and thats bout all thats electric/power w.e in my car...o ya my lights pop up electricly too...ha...

Luckynumber5
03-17-2007, 03:33 AM
the only nice option my STX has is AC, it has manual door locks and wondows, no sunroof of any kind, and crappy 4 and 5 inch speakers. the tape player made a nice paperweight for my haynes manual though.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
03-17-2007, 04:39 AM
i think i have a stx but the emblem broke off and i got whole car repainted and had them leave them all off but ya about the stx options thing, i dont have power windows or locks on mine but i do have a sunroof and thats bout all thats electric/power w.e in my car...o ya my lights pop up electricly too...ha...

Playfortoday
03-17-2007, 05:41 AM
The reason why options differ on the STX is because a dealer could choose any ST with whatever option package that it already came with from the FACTORY. The STX includes absolutely nothing more than an appearance package that was applied by the dealer at the dealership. In other words, if it could not be easily and cheaply bolted on at the dealership, it was not included. STX options included wheels, spoiler, badging, in some cases STX graphics and pinstriping. If it came with a factory power sunroof and or air, it was an ST that had that package already. Year to year differences exist since packages changed from year to year. The engine is still a 4AFE like the ST.

Murgatroy
03-17-2007, 06:04 AM
The reason why options differ on the STX is because a dealer could choose any ST with whatever option package that it already came with from the FACTORY. The STX includes absolutely nothing more than an appearance package that was applied by the dealer at the dealership. In other words, if it could not be easily and cheaply bolted on at the dealership, it was not included. STX options included wheels, spoiler, badging, in some cases STX graphics and pinstriping. If it came with a factory power sunroof and or air, it was an ST that had that package already. Year to year differences exist since packages changed from year to year. The engine is still a 4AFE like the ST.
:stupid:

STX is the exact same car as an ST.

STs could come with power windows, locks, sunroof and so on.

STX was just the decal package.

The most common options to come with an STX were a spoiler, some alloy wheels and a graphics package.

ALL Celicas came with AC, ST and up. I have yet to see any 5th Gen Celica that didn't have factory AC. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Chaos has zero options. Nothing. Manual everything, and she has AC.

I removed the AC. I don't believe in it.

90CelicaST
03-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Murg believes in 2/65. 2 windows down/going 65 miles per hour:D

Murgatroy
03-17-2007, 07:17 AM
I do the speed limit.

But yeah, the windows roll down for a reason, and that is not the drive through. <grins>

david in germany
03-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Play and Murg are correct. Regardless of what options the car came with the dealer slapped on a few stickers, swapped the steelies with some cheap aluminum ones and plopped a spoiler on, nothing else Unless the dealer installed an alarm (that was the only other thing they would do.)

Murg, mine came with no AC ;) (one of the best mods I ever did though!)

Murgatroy
03-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Hmm, I wonder if that was just a Euro thing.

Anyone else have a Celica sans AC?

alltracman78
03-17-2007, 02:49 PM
I never have, but I've only own'ed 2 GTSs and 3 Alltracs....
They are definitly available without. Even the pre revision Alltracs.
Just go to the dealer and ask for a non AC belt....

I do the speed limit.
HAH!

I know your history....

I sure as hell don't. :D

But yeah, the windows roll down for a reason, and that is not the drive through. <grins>

Yeah, on the hiway I normally use the windows.
But in town, especially sitting in traffic, windows don't do shit in the summer.
Especially down south where it's humid, like the coast....
Add to that a black interior.....

Playfortoday
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Word. Sitting in Chicago rush hour traffic in peak Summer temps is enough to make you need a change of clothes for every leg of your journey. From my house to Chicago (40 miles), it takes over 2 hours in rush hour traffic. That's an average of 20mph. You are not keeping cool or SANE in that kind of driving conditions, especially since the Celica doesn't let in much air to begin with. Add in black interior and vents that blow hot air in the Summer, and I need my AC.:D

Murgatroy
03-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I have gone through the seasons in most parts of the country. From California, to the Midwest to the South.

AC has it's uses, I don't mind someone else's car using it, but for me and my basest understanding of Hot Rodding, I can't understand it's usefullness, my car makes more power without it and weighs less.

I will admit that I might have special circumstances, I work nights, I don't drive in traffic jams, and Tennessee doesn't get quite as warm as say, Florida or California, but I will never get over my belief that AC is useless for me.

On a similar note, now that the wife is driving Chaos full time, she can't stand the lack of AC. :hehe:

85gtsblackman
03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
if u have enough power a/c wont hurt

2kSnakEater
03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
woa, Murg you have an ST. I dont think a/c will matter when your pushing double digit HP number.

Murgatroy
03-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Even back in the days when the norm for me was a 400HP V8 in everything I owned I still didn't run AC.

That is always one of the first mods I perform to a car I own, I rip that shit off.

Remember, just because I have an ST now, doesn't mean I haven't owned more powerful and faster cars than most of you. ;)

2kSnakEater
03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
so are you going to let your poor wife drive that heat infested ST or will you put the ac back in the car? My wife is going to drive the 91 Trac, but not until the car gets A/C in it.

Murgatroy
03-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Nope. No AC for her. If she wants to drive the fancy red sports car, she does it on my terms. I am still not comfortable with her driving Chaos.

If I had time I would already have her car fixed.

2kSnakEater
03-19-2007, 03:43 PM
fix her car bish! I feel sorry for teh wifey :(

Murgatroy
03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Fine then, you come up here, drive 2 hours south to where the car is (I at least have it at my garage) and you pull the front head (thank god for that much) off a front wheel drive V6 and replace the head gasket.

If I were to get motivated it would only take a day, but I am not that motivated when I work 70 hours a week and the car is two hours away.

It is a shame too, besides body work the car is in great shape. <90k on it.

I am thinking about using it as a partial trade on a Camry or Corolla. Something 4 door.

2kSnakEater
03-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Its too bad you dont live closer, I would help you with the gasket replacement.

oh and $200 fix > car payments

Murgatroy
03-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't make payments. I buy outright.

elektrateq
03-19-2007, 10:28 PM
yea most options were up to the original buyer. My st has a sunroof, AC, but manual doors/locks. Previous owner added the one piece spoiler which is tight.

TheNefariousOne
03-19-2007, 11:05 PM
The marginal weight loss from removing AC isn't even worth it if you ask me. It's like removing just the rear seats. You gotta go all out or it's just not worth it to give up some amenities. IMO of course.

Cavanagh
03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
woa, Murg you have an ST. I dont think a/c will matter when your pushing double digit HP number.
I swear your goal on this site is just to rip on STs. There economy cars... :slap: :slap: :slap:

TheNefariousOne
03-20-2007, 12:06 AM
GTs and especially GT-S's aren't much better. They weigh more and only have, what, 30 hp more? Even the All-Trac's power-to-weight ratio sucks balls.

2kSnakEater
03-20-2007, 12:07 AM
I swear your goal on this site is just to rip on STs. There economy cars... :slap: :slap: :slap:

Right, and I think its cute when people Turbo them, and work the living hell out of them just to make the same or a little bit more than a 3sgte. Just like the civic croud with their little 1.6s.

Colossus20v
03-20-2007, 12:18 AM
I have a little 1.6l. I have an ST as well.

TheNefariousOne
03-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Right, and I think its cute when people Turbo them, and work the living hell out of them just to make the same or a little bit more than a 3sgte. Just like the civic croud with their little 1.6s.

Dude, the 3SGTE is only 2.0 liters. What's your point? The only reason the 3SGTE has a significant amount of HP is because it's turboed. Hence, people turbo their "little 1.6s."

BTW, turbo b16 = t3h shit.

Playfortoday
03-20-2007, 01:56 AM
I have to agree there. Think about just how much displacement that is. Picture a 2 liter bottle. Now picture losing less than a quarter of the volume. It really is so small that is dumb to focus on something so trivial, especially when going forced induction on either the 1.6 or the 2.0. If you want to make up for the difference, built the 1.6 a little stronger and up the boost. It is not the small amount of displacement difference that makes the 3sgte a better booster, it is the block and head design also.

2kSnakEater
03-20-2007, 04:46 AM
The 3sgte was designed as a performance motor, the 4afe was not. why try to make a better mouse trap when there is a good one already set up sitting next to you. Not to mention that its wrong wheel drive, there are flaws all around!

*sigh* most of you dont agree with me but Id rather have a flawless setup, or something with very few flaws to begin with than to start with something that can barely get out of its own way and that its main flaw cannot be changed.

2kSnakEater
03-20-2007, 04:47 AM
can we please get back to the topic at hand? Id rather not clutter up a thread with my opinions that dont really matter anyways.

Playfortoday
03-20-2007, 01:42 PM
The 3sgte was designed as a performance motor, the 4afe was not.

I was referring to the 3sg and 4ag. Although a boosted 4afe will do fine if built too.