PDA

View Full Version : 5sfe cams

partyball
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Just lookin for people who got cams for their 5s to give a little review on them

Were they got them from
How much
Any power difference

burnyd
03-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Im not even sure if anyone makes cams for that motor... there really wouldnt be much of a point with the way its setup anyways.

grayscale
03-14-2007, 03:58 AM
WebCams makes them. Two different profiles-
http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/toyota-auto.html

partyball
03-14-2007, 03:33 PM
yea I know ppl talked about grinds too. I just figured it is gonna be a few years till I can swap so i wanna see how much power I can squeeze from a 5s.

Murgatroy
03-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Not a lot.

Ask Schmleff. He and his brother John L. did some serious work to a 5SFE to exctract some serious power. I think thier final numbers were like 154 or something. I forget who they got thier cams from though offhand.

Playfortoday
03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I can also speak to this. I had major head work done on my 93GT... port, polish, matched, flowed, and a 5-angle done. I think I was the very first to try this.:cool: I did everything you can do minus the cams, and I ended up actually losing a little torque and gained only a few HP.

After that, I didn't even bother with the webcams. I am sure the gains with cams would have been much better since I had everything done already, but the $:HP ratio was not worth it. I would have needed higher compression or FI to realize any real gains from it. As far as I know, no one in any community I have been part of has tested the webcams either. Too much $$

A 5sfe head is economy all the way. The angles are just wrong. You might want to try the 3S head with the 5S block, but it has been mentioned a lot around here(debated to death actually)... that financially it would just be better to buy a 3SGTE at that point unless you have access to free machining and all the rest of the stuff involved.

burnyd
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I can also speak to this. I had major head work done on my 93GT... port, polish, matched, flowed, and a 5-angle done. I think I was the very first to try this.:cool: I did everything you can do minus the cams, and I ended up actually losing a little torque and gained only a few HP.

After that, I didn't even bother with the webcams. I am sure the gains with cams would have been much better since I had everything done already, but the $:HP ratio was not worth it. I would have needed higher compression or FI to realize any real gains from it. As far as I know, no one in any community I have been part of has tested the webcams either. Too much $$

A 5sfe head is economy all the way. The angles are just wrong. You might want to try the 3S head with the 5S block, but it has been mentioned a lot around here(debated to death actually)... that financially it would just be better to buy a 3SGTE at that point unless you have access to free machining and all the rest of the stuff involved.

so true... you might just want to spend the money on a 3rd gen 3sge for what they are going for now.

grayscale
03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Here is a set of the mild cams for a little less, have fun-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hard-Weld-WebCam-Cams-5SFE-MR2-Camry-Celica-Grind_W0QQitemZ290093267584QQcategoryZ33614QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

partyball
03-15-2007, 01:19 AM
I might consider buying those. I definately have considering doing the head swap and I have definately debated swapping the 3sge. How much does a 3sge run. And how easy is the swap. Im guessing it would probably bolt rite up with out many modifications. It would definately be better with the 3s it definately has more potential than the 5s. Ill let you guys know what i decide to do.

Cavanagh
03-15-2007, 01:56 AM
It all depends what generation....theres the usdm 3sges, and theres the JDM 3SGE BEAMS.

KoreanJoey
03-15-2007, 02:26 AM
Not a lot.

Ask Schmleff. He and his brother John L. did some serious work to a 5SFE to exctract some serious power. I think thier final numbers were like 154 or something. I forget who they got thier cams from though offhand.

Yeah... talking about $ to HP value... my Gen 3 3SGE makes 146 stock... On a dynojet it'd probably read 155 or more.

partyball
03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
It all depends what generation....theres the usdm 3sges, and theres the JDM 3SGE BEAMS.

Yea and the Beams is gonna be about 2k more. I think I am gonna swap the 3sge.