PDA

View Full Version : Started my 7AFTE yesterday (56k no)

EvilSpeeder
01-31-2005, 08:12 PM
I started the car yesterday!! I had one small oil leak that was easily fixed and a wastegate problem that I'll fix tonight. I still have to finish wiring the wideband (might finish tonight). Here are some pics of it all put together. Ignore the mud underneath the car ;).

I did all the welding on the exhaust, wastegate dump, and intercooler piping. My welding skills have gotten much better, there are really only two welds that are real ugly.

http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/dp_exhaust.jpg

http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/exhaust_closeup.jpg

http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/ic_piping.jpg

http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/undercar.jpg

http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/underhood.jpg

ChrisD
01-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Wow, nice work! When are you going to take it out?

EvilSpeeder
01-31-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm hoping to start driving it tomorrow or the next day.

presure2
01-31-2005, 08:31 PM
good job man, looks sweet!

nuclearhappines
01-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Nice job ! Clean install ... good details

I don't like the wastegate dump but that's just me.
Nice work with the ceramic coated downpipe

Colossus20v
01-31-2005, 08:47 PM
looks great. I just sit here and picture a 20valve head on it w/ the turbo though...mmmmm. Very clean install. can you give more detail on the whole setup of it?

EvilSpeeder
01-31-2005, 09:11 PM
looks great. I just sit here and picture a 20valve head on it w/ the turbo though...mmmmm. Very clean install. can you give more detail on the whole setup of it?

It's a T3/T4 on an old JGS manifold (the only EL one he built, the wastegate placement isn't the greatest). The wastegate is a Tial 35mm, the BOV is an HKS SSQ. 2" intercooler piping, mercedes OEM intercooler (fits perfectly), the exhaust is all 3" with v-band clamps. I'm running a BEGI rising rate fuel pressure regulator and SAFC-II with a walbro 255lph pump and 440cc/min injectors. Thats all I can think of for now.

Snafu
01-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Rock on man. You're runn'n a straight pipe/dump? Props man.

EvilSpeeder
02-01-2005, 12:31 AM
It's eventually going to have a full side exit exhaust with a cat, I just wanted to get it on the road so I could start tuning. It's actually got a vortex muffler in the downpipe. It's still loud, but doesn't seem too bad so far. I can still hear the turbo spool over the exhaust ;).

Link to pics of a Vortex Muffler (http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/dynatechstore/vortex.cfm)

DaScorcha21
02-01-2005, 02:53 AM
very nice setup, how many lbs r u gonna run? r u gonna use any ignition amplifiers? did u keep the same comp ratio or did u add a thicker head gasket? have u upgraded ur clutch? did u tap for an egt?

EvilSpeeder
02-01-2005, 05:18 AM
very nice setup, how many lbs r u gonna run? r u gonna use any ignition amplifiers? did u keep the same comp ratio or did u add a thicker head gasket? have u upgraded ur clutch? did u tap for an egt?

I would like to be running 8-10psi on the motor thats in there now. I'm eventually going to build a motor that should take 12ish with a standalone.

No ignition amplifiers, just colder plugs and wider gaps.

Same compression ratio. It's about perfect for this application as it comes from the factory.

No, and I'm not sure how much abuse this clutch will take. Hopefully the new motor and tranny will be ready by time time I kill this clutch. Time will tell.

No EGT, just wideband O2. I would like to add EGT soon, but at this rate I'm going to end up with gauges everywhere......

DaScorcha21
02-01-2005, 05:55 AM
good stuff...i hope it all turns out good for ya...i'll post up some pics soon of my setup...

DaScorcha21
02-01-2005, 06:33 AM
this are some bad pics of my setup........
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.jsp?shareName=AlbumThumb&invite=IEnm7w2SmkzuXYekUhDU

Sean
02-01-2005, 06:44 AM
I would like to be running 8-10psi on the motor thats in there now. I'm eventually going to build a motor that should take 12ish with a standalone.

No ignition amplifiers, just colder plugs and wider gaps.

Same compression ratio. It's about perfect for this application as it comes from the factory.

No, and I'm not sure how much abuse this clutch will take. Hopefully the new motor and tranny will be ready by time time I kill this clutch. Time will tell.

No EGT, just wideband O2. I would like to add EGT soon, but at this rate I'm going to end up with gauges everywhere......

Great engineering man! Glad to see another 7afte project get done the correct way!

Though, you do mean narrower gaps!

EvilSpeeder
02-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Great engineering man! Glad to see another 7afte project get done the correct way!

Though, you do mean narrower gaps!

Thanks! Haha, yeah, my fingers got ahead of my brain.

It looks like I'm going to have to go back to stock injectors for now. I can get the car to idle with the 440s but it's REALLY rich even with the SAFC leaned way out. My fuel pressure gauge is bunk, so I'm waiting for a replacement to verify fuel pressure. I might be able to lower it a little more at idle without losing atomization. Thats likely going to take a total rebuild of the stock regulator, or a bypass of it, but I have like 3 of them, so it's no biggie.

The car sounds mean as hell. I got my wastegate problem fixed but I still have to hook the wideband up. I think I'm going to wire it up temporarily just to get the car on the road, and do it for real later.

Colossus20v
02-01-2005, 04:10 PM
did you get new connecting rods? I heard the rods are not very strong.

Hooligan
02-01-2005, 04:15 PM
did you get new connecting rods? I heard the rods are not very strong.

It sounds like it's a totally stock motor interior-wise.

EvilSpeeder, sounds like a well-thought out setup! Make sure to post vids of you driving it. I want to see the side-exit exhaust too!

EvilSpeeder
02-01-2005, 04:34 PM
It sounds like it's a totally stock motor interior-wise.

EvilSpeeder, sounds like a well-thought out setup! Make sure to post vids of you driving it. I want to see the side-exit exhaust too!

Yah, stock motor for now. Everybody cites the rods as a weak link but I've been watching for 6 years and I've NEVER EVER seen any evidence to back this up. I've seen rod bearing failures (due to poor maintence 90+% of the time), and I've seen broken rod bolts as a result of bearing failures, but I've never seen an actual rod failure on a 7a.

My built motor will have GZE pistons and lots of work done to the rods and crank. When that motor is nearing completion I'm going to start turning up the boost on the stock motor to see just what it will take.

nuclearhappines
02-01-2005, 05:42 PM
If you have a clean tune... I bet you it will take 15psi and it won't break ... you'd be wasting your time trying to kill it.

I know for a fact (heard it from my best friend, who heard it from a man that used to work there) ...

Toyota R&D North america dismantles different cars, tests their parts for strength, repeated usage and longevity. ... everything from engines to doors to bumpers to mirrors ... (the man that relays this story was in charge of testing mirrors since he was an entry level worker...his job was design tests to use mirros in ways that will make them fail and see how long it takes)

after all this information is gathered up.... toyota then finds the strongest of the competitors in every car class...and sets their tolerances/standards/design goals 40% higher.

So let me reiterate. Your car and say a d16 honda are in the same class. It is common knowledge that a d16 honda internals can easily take 160-180hp NA. The 'd-series' 'honda-ninjas' are run in the 180-220 wheel hp range...

www.homemadeturbo.com.

Say toyota discovers a similar figure 220 hp for a 1.6 econo honda motor.
That means that the 4afe is designed somewhere around 308hp and a little more for a 7afe.

Now even if you take out a fudge factor in all my numbers .... say 160hp for the honda , that gives 224 hp (at least) by design for a similar 1.6 and possibly more for a 1.8

your car makes 117 ? stock... you will run out of octane on street gas before you run out of motor if you have a clean tune

-nuke

EvilSpeeder
02-01-2005, 05:46 PM
We'll see! I guarantee the clutch will go long before the motor!

nuclearhappines
02-01-2005, 05:50 PM
check above ...i edited

EvilSpeeder
02-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Yup, factor of safety.

Lagos
02-01-2005, 06:20 PM
very clean install