PDA

View Full Version : Did I Get Smoke Blown Up My Arse?

grayscale
03-11-2007, 07:26 AM
I decided to go get my alignment done today, so I took a drive to the nearest Firestone cause I wanted to get the lifetime job done. I tell the dude at the desk what I need, he looks at my car, and says they can't do it. His explanation was that they only do alignments to manufacturer specs and that wouldn't work out on a lowered car even with camber adjust bolts. Isn't that the point of the bolts, so you can set it back to where it's supposed to be?

Shadowlife25
03-11-2007, 07:32 AM
They usually won't touch a lowered car period. Unless you know someone you're s.o.l.
Had the same problem with my Rx-7. Good luck!

MCcelica
03-11-2007, 07:35 AM
But they usually don't touch lowered cars because they cant get 'em on the lift without damaging rocker panels n such... think the guy was full of isht.

85gtsblackman
03-11-2007, 07:40 AM
they have places here in jacksonville called t.k. performace (owned by tire kingdom) they specialize in lowered cars and such, in fact they will try to sell u springs and all sorts of aftermarket stuff

they did a life time on my old celica

they even will order u camber bolts if u need em

Murgatroy
03-11-2007, 07:41 AM
I have always been told they will do it as long as teh car can get on the machine.

grayscale
03-11-2007, 07:50 AM
I swear I saw some one here post something about getting it done there. I went to another place just to see if they would do it. It was the Kauffman Tire chain. They said they have a specila setup for lowered cars. It was $99+extras, but they only honored it for 3months or xxx miles. I told the guy to keep that crap.

burnyd
03-11-2007, 07:51 AM
lol.... they told me this all the time. like I paid 180 bux I think it was for the lifetime alignment.. they will always try to fuck you on that deal.. but as long as they can get it up on the lift they can do it!

zmile06
03-11-2007, 08:14 PM
I didnt tell the shop here it was lowerd and they did the alignment for like 50 bucks all 4 wheels... The alignment is perfect but my car stiff drifts side to side because something is fudged up. Nice tire wear though.

grayscale
03-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Yea, you're supposed to have your camber adjust bolts in there so they can set the correct camber. If they didn't know, then they used the bolts like they're supposed and you wasted $50.

zmile06
03-11-2007, 08:59 PM
The guy printed out stats and it showed that it fixed my alignment issue? Do you know a website to explain how to put in camber adjust bolts? And where would we buy some for the 93 celica st.

Futant3
03-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Ok here is my experience with Firestone and my car that has pretty much aftermarket everything on the suspension including lowered Eibach springs.

There are two issues:

1) Not all Firestone shops have the same equipment so they aren't all able to do the same cars. The shop about 10 minutes from my house has the newer computerized laser/fancy equipment and can do the alignment on my car. The Firestone shop in downtown Fort Worth couldn't do it for me because they had older manual equipment. The Goodyear shop across the street from my neighborhood also can't do my car because of it being lowered and the limitations of their equipment.

2) Not all Firestone employees are all that bright. Even the shop near my house that can do it wanted to argue with my dad about being able to adjust the camber. They use ALLDATA and the info sheet for my car is a generic info sheet that has some incorrect info on it. I know this because my dad used to work for ALLDATA, but they still wanted to argue with him instead of simply looking at the car and seeing the fucking adjustment cam. Luckily the manager wasn't such a retard and got it taken care of.

Short answer: could be too stupid/lazy to want to do it or just might not have the right equipment. I'd start asking about what kind of equipment they have and where are the shops with the new computerized systems.

grayscale
03-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Do you know a website to explain how to put in camber adjust bolts? And where would we buy some for the 93 celica st.
-Pretty basic, you pull the lower bolt out of each strut mount in the rear and replace with new bolt. The new bolt has a lobe on it that will push the assembly one way or the other when turned. But it should be done by a mechanic if you don't know much about it.
-ST, GT they're all the same if I'm not mistaken. You can buy them on eBay, Nopi, Tirerack, Summit, and many more places including some local auto parts stores. However, and this is the most idiotic part, very few of the shops that use these to adjust your alignment have them or can't even order them.
Damn guy at Firestone said that when they need to adjust the camber further than normal on a stock height car, they drill the holes out bigger.
:squint: ?

d1alltrac
03-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Try talking to a mechanic directly, some will do it for you as a side job if their managers aren't around....usually on sundays.

(If anyone needs an alignment in the DFW area PM me. My brother will do it for cheap and he'll set the tolerances to 0.01* instead of 0.5* or whatever.)

grayscale
03-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Sundays? Ha! Not in Bible country buddy.

celica9303
03-12-2007, 06:47 AM
ive never hada problem with a lowered car and getting an alignment. my old honda(91 hatch sat roughly 3 inches off the pavement(slamed on tokico suspension kit) and i had no problem with any of the shops here in toledo. all theyhad to do to get it on the rack is lift up on the fender(wheel wels) and drive slow while someone held up both sides(only in front though)