PDA

View Full Version : My Rearwindow custom Glasscape Project

greymatter
03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm making a glasscape to put on the rearwindow of my car with photoshop. Ever seen them on trucks? like an image on the whole window like a checkered flag, you can't see in, but you can see out. check it out at http://www.glasscapes.com/

The idea for my car is a Black and Blue color scheme, and on the side of the car the decal will be of a Samurai, with a ghost image of a dragon behind him, like the dragon is the soul of the samurai. This is a metaphor, where the samurai is the driver and the dragon soul is the heart of the driver (samurai), the dragon also stems off of the original logo for the celica, the dragon. So in essence the car (dragon soul) is the heart of the driver (samurai). I am putting the image with a starry background, becuase Celica comes from the latin word celico, which means "From the heavens" or "celestial".

I'm not completely done with the image yet, but here's how it's going so far. The samurai for the glassscape is Rurouni Kenshin, one of my favorite anime characters from samurai x.

At the top in japanese it says Toyota Celica respectively, on the bottom it says my name "Kris Coleman" (literally, Kurisu Koreman).

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2860/kenshinglasscapeoe6.jpg

grayscale
03-11-2007, 04:30 AM
That would be quite a head turning thing to see on the back window of a Celica. Good luck!

amx
03-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Hold on a sec, dude.

Double check your Japanese before you go any further. You're using both hiragana and katakana in the writing of your name, which screams "I don't know what I'm doing," and which you probably don't want displayed on the back of your car. Please don't be like one of those people who puts Chinese or Japanese characters on their vehicle without bothering to check if they're correct or not. Your name should be all in katakana (the angular characters), and it should probably be spelled "Ko-ru-ma-n," as the way you've written it is read more like "Ko-ray-man."

grayscale
03-11-2007, 05:10 AM
The Japanese write foreign words phonetically, so it is not always possible to say how a name should be written in Japanese without further information. For example, the last two letters of Andrea can be pronounced like ier in the word barrier, or like ayer in the word layer. If you get results that don't match the way you pronounce your name, you may be able to find an alternative spelling that does.

'Kooruman' would be one of the correct phonetical spellings of your last name.

Your first name should look like this(depending on writing style)which yours does-
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/Kris1.png
And your last should look like this-
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/Coleman1.png

Both of these are written in the caligraphy hand.

Hiko
03-11-2007, 08:21 AM
You know what I'll think of it (check name).

greymatter
03-11-2007, 05:29 PM
i took a year of japanese, about 2 years ago, i can't believe i messed up the name with one letter of hiragana, lol. thanks for pointing it out. you know how it is, working on something for 2 days straight. without a break you start to get burnt out *_*

but in response to the 'koreman' and 'koruman', i have this: クリスコレマン

thats what my teacher (born and raised in japan) told me how to spell my name, with re rather than ru. but in your defense, Koruman with a short u (like desu) sounds more like Coleman than Ko-re-ma-n.

amx
03-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Haha, no problem, sorry for jumping on you. I just see a lot of drivers slapping Asian characters on their cars indiscriminately without any idea what it actually says.

Like I saw some guy with the kanji for 'Honda,' and the Chinese word for 'civic' on his car. 'Honda' was okay, but 'Civic' was upside down.
Another guy had the kanji for 'ryouri' (cooking) on his car. Dunno what he thought it actually said. Maybe he was a chef.

What's the process of getting the glassscape printed out? I've seen them on trucks, but wasn't aware you could customise your own, and am kind of curious how it works.

i took a year of japanese, about 2 years ago, i can't believe i messed up the name with one letter of hiragana, lol. thanks for pointing it out. you know how it is, working on something for 2 days straight. without a break you start to get burnt out *_*

but in response to the 'koreman' and 'koruman', i have this: クリスコレマン

thats what my teacher (born and raised in japan) told me how to spell my name, with re rather than ru. but in your defense, Koruman with a short u (like desu) sounds more like Coleman than Ko-re-ma-n.

greymatter
03-12-2007, 12:01 AM
hahaha, yea cooking? lol, and an upside down civic symbol? like he was inadvertantly putting an anti-civic symbol on his car. and by all means thanks for pointing it out, if you hadn't i probably wouldn't even of noticed. i've had so many ideas for this thing that while im workign on one thing that takes me an hour or two i'm planning like 3 other things. lol

as far as the process, im not sure. i just read on their site that you can send them your own image and they will print it out. they say a specific size (i forget which size) runs about $189. i think it was 30"x30", i'm doing mine 52.5"x33".

grayscale
03-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Civic in Chinese? I''l refrain from commenting on that one.

greymatter
03-12-2007, 12:32 AM
k, I just got done with some more work on the glasscape. the full 52.5"x33" file is now 361 mb. lol. but here is a smaller jpeg of what i got so far... im gonna change some text and add something to the top right still.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9125/kensmallzs9.jpg

heres a larger picture, you can see how high of a resolution the full size picture still has:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3612/kenglasscapebh0.jpg

greymatter
03-12-2007, 04:35 AM
bump :D

PhillyDRFT
03-12-2007, 06:36 AM
It's gonna suck when you run into a dickhead cop who makes you stand there with a razor and scrape it off because it's blocking you'r view.

greymatter
03-12-2007, 06:06 PM
hahah... too bad it's not illegal?

it's the same as limo tint on a rear window... as long as it's on the rear window and you can see out.. it's fine.

PhillyDRFT
03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
hahah... too bad it's not illegal?

it's the same as limo tint on a rear window... as long as it's on the rear window and you can see out.. it's fine.

Gl...it's all im saying, it's illegal to block your view, and i've watched cops make people scrape off car club stickers from there rear windshield.

edit: never mind I just realized you're not in the US.

greymatter
03-12-2007, 09:22 PM
i am in the us, actually, i live in holland mi.

and i see where your coming from now, as i have witnessed the same thing.

but this is like a two-way mirror how it works, on the inside it looks just like a limo tint, can see out fine, and on the outside, from like sideways angles, you can see how you can start to see through it. it looks sort of like a hologram on the side.

so in essence, it is the same as a window tint, and completely legal by michigans laws at least. trucks have these done all the time.

check out glasscapes.com, link is on the O.P.

PhillyDRFT
03-12-2007, 09:48 PM
yeah I checked out the origional site. I figured they should work like a 2 way mirror but when I used to work in service at a chevy dealer rednecks used to bring in there trucks that had them acrost the rear window in camo ect.. and you couldent see shit out of them.

greymatter
03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
i'll have to look back into it, but i got the ok from the local cops.

NDMstang65
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
It's not illegal to block your rear view, so long as you have two side mirrors your in good shape...

I drove around with a wall in my thunderbird for 4 years...and i'm in the communist wealth of virginia :D

greymatter
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
It's not illegal to block your rear view, so long as you have two side mirrors your in good shape...

I drove around with a wall in my thunderbird for 4 years...and i'm in the communist wealth of virginia :D

haha, thanks bub. i was gonna say.. im pretty damn sure that glasscapes are 100% legal on the rear window.