PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

93trdGT-S
03-09-2007, 04:35 AM
okay i know this is a celica forum. but i have an issue with a friend.

he drives a 93 3000 gt v6 5 speed. wants cat back exhaust, wants quality.
wants borla. full catback. cost 800 dollars. has the money. but wont have none left over.
the exhaust shop i got my pipes done at is great. will make him pipes from header to cat to mufflers and out. and will cost cheaper.
same thing right. just the pipes arent from borla. but the mufflers will be.

i told him get 2.25 inch pipes, 2 borla universal mufflers, and then ur good. sound the same. if not better and cost cheaper.

any thoughts

burnyd
03-09-2007, 04:41 AM
exhaust shops > greddy,hks, etc...

its always cheeper and always better to just get a exhaust shop to put a exhaust + moffler on your car.. I meen in all honesty its the same thing.

Ricksta
03-09-2007, 04:43 AM
exhaust shops > greddy,hks, etc...

its always cheeper and always better to just get a exhaust shop to put a exhaust + moffler on your car.. I meen in all honesty its the same thing.
+1

jjazmin
03-09-2007, 04:53 AM
hey guys, if i cut the muffler from an apexi exhaust from an integra..would it work if i put it on my car..i got 2.25 piping and i think the apexi muffler inlet is 2.5, if i get a new flange put on then adjust the hangers..it would work right?..

grayscale
03-09-2007, 04:56 AM
You can make it do anything you want.

burnyd
03-09-2007, 04:58 AM
You can make it do anything you want.

can I make it kill ricksta?

grayscale
03-09-2007, 04:59 AM
can I make it kill ricksta?
If you swing it hard enough.;)

jjazmin
03-09-2007, 05:07 AM
so i guess the answer is yes it will fit?..haha

andy
03-09-2007, 06:49 AM
yes yes it will kill Rick-STAAAAAaaaaa (dibs on the bike)

MuscleOwnzRice
03-09-2007, 05:10 PM
higher diameter piping on a high compression engine hurts the engine because your losing your compression. Same idea as blowing through a straw as oppose to a paper towel roll, your going to get more pressure and better flow out of the straw. Its only going to hurt it, major torque loss and MAYBE .1hp gain

alltracman78
03-09-2007, 08:08 PM
higher diameter piping on a high compression engine hurts the engine because your losing your compression. Same idea as blowing through a straw as oppose to a paper towel roll, your going to get more pressure and better flow out of the straw. Its only going to hurt it, major torque loss and MAYBE .1hp gain

This is all relative....
Are you going to run 1.5" pipes on a 427?
Different engines require different size exhaust pipes.
Yes you don't want to go to big, but bigger to an extent is better.

I don't know what size pipe is best for a 5SFE.

Amaymi
03-10-2007, 03:58 AM
A 5sfe is a 2.2 liter correct? If so i'd go with 2.5. If its 2.0 then either 2.25 or 2.5. If it was me i'd 2.5 to help top end breathing.

grayscale
03-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Your'e just stabbing at sizes. Just because it's a 2.0 or 2.2 or whatever does not mean that a certain size pipe is best for it. It's a little bit more complicated than that. In reality, after extensive testing of different sizes, you would probably come up with some oddball size like 2.29(i.d.) that would yeild the best gains. But to keep it simple, when you're talkin about the 5sfe, 2.25 and 2.5 are not going to yeild any noticable differences. I've tried both, my buttmeter recorded no diff, and I went back to the 2.25 simply cause it sounded better.

Murgatroy
03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
His friend he is asking about has a V6, thus it is not a 5SFE.

A shop will make almost the same thing for a fraction of the price. Not all shops use mandrel bending, but they will make the kit fit to your car. I have seen few bolt ons that bolt on.

I have always gone with a custom shop exhaust, if I don't weld up my own.

2.5" on a V6 is gonna be fine, you could go with 2.25" and save a little torque. Think about a resonator though, or a quality muff, I have no personal experience with Borla, but I know they are reputed to be good. If he is running from a header, through a straight pipe to a muffler, it will be loud.

Depending on your location, there are options about the cat as well, and some shops will do a 'cash' job. You will never pass inspection though if that is mandated in your state.

Thank God I'm a Southern Boy. ;)