PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review: 2001 Transam WS6

T-spoon
03-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Buddy at work let me borrow his to go to lunch since I am carless at the moment. It is mildly modified (exhaust and such). It did have that nice throaty rumble and the nifty NA throttle response. It handled pretty well (as much as I could tell from mild driving) but I couldn't feel the road so well, and that bugged me.

I have to say though, the interior made me really appreciate my 20 year old faded and cracked supra interior. Everything felt cheap. Lots of rattles and plastic hollowness. The dash is annoying to see around and makes me feel like I have no shoulder room for some reason and I had to really stare at the gauge cluster to get info, which I'm sure you get used to if you drive it alot, but was irritating for me. The passenger floorboard is ridiculous with a huge hump where you would want to put your left leg.

To me it felt like kind of a cheap car wrapped around a good drivetrain.

KoreanJoey
03-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I have to say though, the interior made me really appreciate my 20 year old faded and cracked supra interior. Everything felt cheap. Lots of rattles and plastic hollowness. The dash is annoying to see around and makes me feel like I have no shoulder room for some reason and I had to really stare at the gauge cluster to get info, which I'm sure you get used to if you drive it alot, but was irritating for me. The passenger floorboard is ridiculous with a huge hump where you would want to put your left leg.

To me it felt like kind of a cheap car wrapped around a good drivetrain.

This feeling is true of MOST American cars... even a nicer one like a Z06 or a CTS-V... still have that cheap interior feeling. I've been spouting about this for a while and some people *cough* 2K *cough* argue about it. Doesn't change the fact that it's true.

Hookecho
03-08-2007, 11:14 PM
i'd put a dashmat on that shit and drive the fuck out of it.

2kSnakEater
03-09-2007, 12:01 AM
blah, go buy a Lexus if you dont like it.

2kSnakEater
03-09-2007, 12:29 AM
remeber, that interior came out in 95.

Cavanagh
03-09-2007, 12:37 AM
remeber, that interior came out in 95.
The 2001s came with a 1995 interior.... :ugh:

T-spoon
03-09-2007, 12:44 AM
blah, go buy a Lexus if you dont like it.

Aww, don't be upset, I wasn't being insulting for the sake of it, just an honest opinion after driving it. I can't help it if 20 year old toyotas have better interiors/chassis :(

Sean
03-09-2007, 01:46 AM
This feeling is true of MOST American cars... even a nicer one like a Z06 or a CTS-V... still have that cheap interior feeling. I've been spouting about this for a while and some people *cough* 2K *cough* argue about it. Doesn't change the fact that it's true.

S2000 has probably the worst interior of the 200 or so cars I sat in at the autoshow.

Ricksta
03-09-2007, 01:58 AM
ive been in 2ksnakaters t/a and i liked it. his is fully loaded with leather and everything and i thought it was a nice ride. the dash feels wierd but nothing a day or two of driving in wouldnt fix. has some nice torque to it as well.

85gtsblackman
03-09-2007, 02:11 AM
ma70 interior > t/a

yes i drove a few when i worked for gm, i like my friends 89 supra better

2kSnakEater
03-09-2007, 03:59 AM
the 4Th Gen F-Body ran 93-02, 93-94 have unique interior then it changed in 95. 95-02 Camaro's and firebirds have basicly the same interior, they did change some cosmetics and the center console in 97 but basicly the car stayed the same. The Chassis was designed in 90-92 for the 93 roll out, the chassis stayed absolutly the same from 93-02. The brakes were upgraded in 98 along with the face lift and new engine.

so when you make fun of the 4th Gen F-Body make it known that its a 14 year old desing that still rivals some newer cars today.

burnyd
03-09-2007, 04:01 AM
bleh... there great as far as performance and look goes.. but unless your driving it in a straight line .. anything else sucks.. I do agree the interrior is kid of crappy.

Cavanagh
03-09-2007, 04:14 AM
the 4Th Gen F-Body ran 93-02, 93-94 have unique interior then it changed in 95. 95-02 Camaro's and firebirds have basicly the same interior, they did change some cosmetics and the center console in 97 but basicly the car stayed the same. The Chassis was designed in 90-92 for the 93 roll out, the chassis stayed absolutly the same from 93-02. The brakes were upgraded in 98 along with the face lift and new engine.

so when you make fun of the 4th Gen F-Body make it known that its a 14 year old desing that still rivals some newer cars today.
Well shit, why the hell wouldnt GM do somthing called "Updating?"

2kSnakEater
03-09-2007, 04:16 AM
Im not sure, I guess its because sales were going down and they didnt want to revive the car any more. They updated it in 98 with the facelifts but thats about it.

burnyd
03-09-2007, 04:43 AM
eh its a decent car ima fan... just sold for too much money.. they resell at rediculous values though.. I meen so cheep!

KoreanJoey
03-09-2007, 05:59 AM
S2000 has probably the worst interior of the 200 or so cars I sat in at the autoshow.

I don't mind the S2000 so much... worst car I've driven that shouldn't have been was probably a 2004 SVT Cobra. Of the cars that I drove that day it was probably the biggest but had the least amount of room...

Murgatroy
03-09-2007, 11:02 AM

The chassis is almost identical to the 3rd Gen F-Body as well. Almost all suspension parts interchange.

I still think the 3rd Gen was the best handling. My `93 felt too fat compared to my 3rd Gens.

But my heart will always lie with the 2nd Gens, and I am sure I have stressed endlessly why. :hehe:

2kSnakEater
03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Murg your are 100% correct, the chassis shares alot of comon parts from the 3rd Gens (82-92) Still the car does handle pretty good for a 25 year old suspension with a facelifted chassis.

T-spoon
03-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Except that it's not 25 years old, just the design is. I don't really see where that makes it sound any better ;)

Anyhoo, I said the drivetrain was good, just didn't like the rest of the car :P

MuscleOwnzRice
03-09-2007, 05:06 PM
hah, the interior? who cares, was it fast? yes! typical.....

2kSnakEater
03-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I like your car, I can take 99 cobra's like they are standing still.

T-spoon
03-09-2007, 06:49 PM

You really don't know much about my car. Please don't start. :)

Murgatroy
03-09-2007, 08:43 PM
There is more to life than going fast.

You can also go fast in the twisties.

If I am going to buy a car for something other than speed, I want something comfortable. Thus the interior would be important.

I don't know if you came here for information, or you are just a forum troll coming to stir shit up, but there are a few things you need to know first.

1) Most of the cars here are not rice.

2) Many of the members here (myself included) are domestic fans with quite a bit of experience under thier belts.

3) We are accepting of all makes, models and owners, we congregate here to share information about cars, we just happen to be centered around the Celica.

4) We don't tolerate trolls and you will wind up banned real fast. Drama is not our cup of tea.

Now with that out of the way, there are several rather fast Celicas here. You have to remember, your precious Mustang came with an engine with twice the displacment of our cars. With that being said, we are working with a disadvantage. Now taking that into mind, imagine that some of these cars ar faster than your Mustang. Do you comprehend the work required to make them so? If so, respect would be in order. If not, you are an ignorant tool with a self-esteem issue and it is no wonder that you begged mommy and daddy to buy you a Drop Top Mustang (cough... chick car... cough) so you could go around and pretend like you have friends.

Now if my rapid evaluation of you is off, I am sorry and welcome to the site.

I myself have owned a few dozen Mustangs. I am quite fond of them as they are a rather easy platform to extract power from. I am still more fond of GM's F-Body though as it's lines appeal to me more. However if you still think you have the fastest car of anyone on the site, after Snackeater is done trouncing you, I will more than glad to line you up next to my Big Block Mopar with a serious weight disavantage. Maybe after a 4-door family car smokes you by several lengths you will learn humility.

MuscleOwnzRice
03-10-2007, 02:41 AM
hah, real accepting. About half of that was good talk not even. Anyways i paid for my car so you can suck it on that one. And id like to see a few cars on here that arent engine swapped. Im not starting crap you did.

alltracman78
03-10-2007, 02:47 AM
hah, real accepting. About half of that was good talk not even. Anyways i paid for my car so you can suck it on that one. And id like to see a few cars on here that arent engine swapped. Im not starting crap you did.

Right here bud.
Check your PMs.

T-spoon
03-10-2007, 03:57 AM

I'm not engine swapped. Still running a stock bottom end POS 7MGTE. It goes well with my olllld, comfortable, and well laid-out interior.

grayscale
03-10-2007, 06:48 AM
And id like to see a few cars on here that arent engine swapped.
What does it being swapped have anything to do with it? We're still using Toyota engines, all but a few are still using 4cyl, and most are using something that was available in a Celica anyway. Unlike some Muffstains that I've seen with Chevy "swaps". That must burn a Ford lovers ass...

Murgatroy
03-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Calm down there killer.

I was stating a simple mission statement.

Don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

When you have a post cound less than 10 and you start entering threads on a site based towards a Japanese car with a name that is obviously meant to be inflamatory, you are gonna have to work twice as hard to earn respect.

Can I ask a favor though, can you at least type out posts that are readable? All I got out of that is that you are upset that I didn't welcome you with open arms when you came here with an elitist attitude and you fear Swapped Celicas.

If you are interested I will take you on a run through some local roads in a stock engined Celica and see if you can learn a new respect for them.

Anyways, back on topic.

I have always been fond of the F-Body, the revisions they recieved in the facelift of the 4th gen were some of the best. The LS-1 was the second best engine the Camaro ever recieved, the very rare original LS-6 COPO models got the best engine. I would love to find a `70 RS/SS with the 396 in it.

The biggest problem I have with Post `82 model F-Body cars is the lack of room under the hood. Having to change a spark plug from underneath the car is not my favorite thing.