PDA

View Full Version : HO alternator

jonathancullen89
03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
my idea was to fabricate a HO chevy lage case alternator onto my celica for when i get my audio system. anyone every tried this? or if sum has bought a HO alternator for thier 1990 celica gt can you tell me where you got it. would fabricating this on there work? i would have my dad help me with most of it. thanks for any ideas or suggestions

PhillyDRFT
03-08-2007, 07:09 PM
as long as the bracketing mounts up you won't have much of a problem, just make sure that all of your math is correct because since the alternator is belt driven it needs a certain RPM to reach it's peak output. also you will put more drag on your engine as compared to the stock alt. But I don't see a reason for something that drastic, are you putting in a jackhammer or some other 3000watt system that just wont do from an extra battery or power cap?

edit: also you would have gotten better responses in the electrical, audio and security section.

jonathancullen89
03-08-2007, 08:29 PM
lol yeah, the stock alternator is like 70 amp, i think with my audio system im putting in. (four 15" rockfords and two amps) there will be to much strain.

NDMstang65
03-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm working with powermaster to see if we can do a HO alternator for these cars, i don't know how soon we'll have a prototype though.

Luni
03-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Anyone ever thought of swapping guts and housings with a bigger alt?

jonathancullen89
03-08-2007, 10:42 PM
can you do that? i could try it when its a little warmer out but would it work with a large case gm? would fabricating a new bracket be easier then swapping the guts?
anyone ever tried this? people with big systems are you still running the stock 70 amp alternator with say a 2000wrms system? (dont think this is possible, 2000wrms could prolly draw up to 200-250 amps)