PDA

View Full Version : whats a 5th gen 3sgte swapped celica worth?

TwistedImage92
03-07-2007, 11:08 PM
looking to buy a car and fix it up a bit... heres a pic

http://tiecc.net/bruce/1.jpg

its got a 3sgte, body kit, rims, CF hood... let me know what u guys thing.

TwistedImage92
03-07-2007, 11:11 PM
http://tiecc.net/Bruse/1.jpg

PhillyDRFT
03-07-2007, 11:34 PM
hmmmm that car looks REALLY firmilier like it was posted before. It all depends on what parts are in it, if there worth forking the money out, How much is he asking for it to start with? keeping in mind the age of the car and how much of the work is good work. at the most I don't see any more than 5k at MOST for a 5th gen swap. ofcourse there are some that bring what they are worth but those have good documentation of everything done to the car. buying a car thats allready modified is like using someone elses condom, yeah you might have a good time with it but theres a chance of something bad happening.

alltracman78
03-07-2007, 11:37 PM
buying a car thats allready modified is like using someone elses condom, yeah you might have a good time with it but theres a chance of something bad happening.

nuff said.

Look it over CLOSELY.
Get good pics if possible.
Check the wiring especially.

TwistedImage92
03-08-2007, 12:30 AM
well we have been discussing for a while. i figured 2500 would be a good amount for it. he has done the swap. not sure who did it, but its got the awd trans and the ecu has never been wired correctly... pretty much the swap was only done up to the point of the engine being put in. but heres the thing, i have a MR2 tranny, 3rd axel (thing from the transfer to the passangers side axel) already and i have done the swap on my car. i know what else would be envolved. so this car would be worth about 5000 when the swap is done?

2kSnakEater
03-08-2007, 12:39 AM
its still has the AWD trans? crap, your going to have to take that engine back out.

TwistedImage92
03-08-2007, 12:42 AM
yea i know... its gonna suck! but i guess i gotta do it. maybe i can make some brackets to clock the turbo over 180 degrees for my front mount while its out, rather than takin mine out to fabricate... anyone interested in clocking brackets?

Playfortoday
03-08-2007, 12:42 AM
I would say the cost of the car is worth a regular shell with assuming what is good body work and the cost of a crated and used 3sgte motor. Then throw in a few hundred for the labor and 10-20% of the owner's cost of his existing mods like electronics or rims.

My math...

good shell with perfect body kit (adjust accordingly for condition)= $2000
low mileage JDM motor including shipping= $1200
accessories= $?
minus damage/bad work that will have to be redone= $?
chassis mileage adjustment = +/- $?

= $3200 +/- whatever

Sean
03-08-2007, 01:05 AM
its still has the AWD trans? crap, your going to have to take that engine back out.

What do you know thats factual?

It depends on the car, look it over, check its history. The car is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Playfortoday
03-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Exactly. Also, it has been proven that an AWD tranny can be converted successfully to FWD.

2kSnakEater
03-08-2007, 01:30 AM
but can you convert said tranny while the tranny is still IN the car? what about putting it in FF mode, that can be done wile tranny is in car.

andy
03-08-2007, 02:34 AM
yeah, but it will ruin it.

celicatrd93
03-08-2007, 03:21 AM
this car is on ebay, he has all the info written on there, he has been trying to sell that car, he you get a good deal on it, its worth buying it, its a good start. good luck on getting.

2kSnakEater
03-08-2007, 03:47 AM
yeah, but it will ruin it.

I read that in the BGB, but it didnt state why it would ruin the tranny. how will it ruin the tranny?

Melchior
03-08-2007, 04:53 AM
My bet would be the AWD tranny wasn't meant to take the full stress of the 3sgte going only through the front axles. Does anyone know how it disables the rear drivetrain exactly? maybe it's just something that jams something else from turning, and that will eventually break?

TwistedImage92
03-08-2007, 12:22 PM
yea that is pretty much what it does... my awd tranny lasted about 9 months in FWD mode... its a big advantage just to get the LSD trans. its lighter and will handle the extra power. 200 hp divided by 4 wheels... 50 hp each... 200/2... 100 hp each... its just not able to handle it for a long period of time i would say from personal experience

PhillyDRFT
03-08-2007, 06:55 PM
christ, the FF mode on the trans is to use it for emissions tests because not everyone has an AWD dyno. Why in the world would you leave it in FWD for 9 months???

2kSnakEater
03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
christ, the FF mode on the trans is to use it for emissions tests because not everyone has an AWD dyno. Why in the world would you leave it in FWD for 9 months???

I think he left it on FF for 9months because he doesnt have an All-Trac

also I know about the FF mode and why its there, its meant for both emision testing and speedo calibration but, how does it brake the tranny?

PhillyDRFT
03-08-2007, 07:17 PM
it's probly only made to go 35mph at the most. and leaving it in that mode for 9 months because you'r a swap doesn't count in my book. it costs a whole 500$ more to get a solara or camry trans in there?

It could engage a smaller gear to drive the rear driveshaft an absolute minimum. maybe it slides the differential apart. who knows? I've never had the luxury of opening up a 3sgte trans. the Jamming a gear theory sounds like a logical explanation too but I can see that as more of an immediate break. Wheres Tweak or Conrad when you need em;? I'm sure one of them knows whats inside.

Sean
03-08-2007, 09:34 PM
My bet would be the AWD tranny wasn't meant to take the full stress of the 3sgte going only through the front axles. Does anyone know how it disables the rear drivetrain exactly? maybe it's just something that jams something else from turning, and that will eventually break?

The problem lies within the transfer case, the center differential is not designed for it. If the center differential is removed, as well as the transfer case, then your in the clear. Though now that you've removed the transfer case, you have to swap out the front diff to accept some axles that will allow you to connect up with the hubs. So, you swap out the diff cover plate, throw a mr2 diff in there, and your done.

I have not opened up a transfer case, so I do not have a great understanding of that part of it, but I have disassembled a few 3sgte tranny's, and I am effictively running a RC tranny in my FWD swap.

TwistedImage92
03-08-2007, 10:07 PM
yea its not an alltrac... but i didnt want to spend 500 on a tranny right away, so i saved up and got an LSD from a 98 MR2... then i didnt want to pull the engine/trans out cuz i had a bunch of other work to do... plus i had a bunch of haggeling with the JDM importer to show that the trans they sent me wasnt LSD and it took like 2 months for them to get me the LSD unit. so the LSD trans was in the shop, untill the awd trans broke, then it became more of a priority.i would say that the FF mode is blocking somthing in the center diff from spinning because we had a problem getting it to lock in and had to spin the wheels to get it locked.

TwistedImage92
03-08-2007, 10:08 PM
is your rc tranny open or limited slip? i know it does have the better drive gears. does your car rev pretty high going like 70-80 on the highway?

Sean
03-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Its a 3.73 final drive, which is uber low.

And its a cusco clutch differential.

Playfortoday
03-09-2007, 12:51 AM
I have never heard about it being for emissions. It is meant for diagnostics, but I have not heard a definitive list. The switch is not simple to switch, and no emissions testing center is aware of it in IL and would not expect the mod to take place before they start testing. I get to skip the rolling test altogether:D I would guess it is the same everywhere else too.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
03-09-2007, 04:39 AM
thats great.... i saw that car on ebay too and thought it was really nice and what not but the person did say that the engine was not working and had to be fixed and what not but ya.... i have an st same exact bright red color and everything and has exactly what i want to do to mine and i live in florida as well and the car is like 30 minutes from me so it killed me looking at it knowing im too poor to get it....

TwistedImage92
03-09-2007, 11:58 AM
well ill work something out with you once i fix it up if you still want it. maybe you can save up some money inbetween now and then...

MuscleOwnzRice
03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
modifications dont bring up resale price, bring it down if anything.

alltracman78
03-09-2007, 08:05 PM
^
That all depends.
Has nothing to do with what type of car [other than a ultra rare one that is worth the most in 100% stock condition], but what is done to it.
Aftermarket headunits, paint jobs, wheels, engine swaps, ect raise the selling price of the car. VERY common.
This is assuming 2 things
1-it's completed
2-it's done right

An AWD trans can be converted to FWD. Internally it's basically the same thing as an MR2T trans. It's no weaker.
Nor are the front CV shafts. If Pat C can put down ~700hp to all 4 wheels [that's roughly 900 hp at the crank], I highly doubt your 2-300 to the 2 front will faze them much...
Nor is the problem a weak transfer case. See Pat C example.
The problem is, the front AND center diff are housed in the trans, within the final drive housing. The T-case simply has the viscous coupling that makes the center diff LSD, and the gears to change power direction.
There are actually THREE modes, not 2.
One is obviously AWD.
The second stops power going to the viscous coupling. Technically the car is still AWD, but the center diff is open, so it acts like a typical open diff.
The third stops power going from the center diff to the rest of the transfer case. Making it FWD.
Both are actuated by a moveable sleeve in the transfer case. Shifting that lever moves the sleeve, just like shifting gears.

The transfer case is designed to transfer power with all parts setup for AWD. That is where the strenght lies. It's not made to transmit to only the front wheels.

The other 2 options are in place for dyno testing.
The wheels spin at half speed when in the second postion.
The third postion is what should be used for hp dyno tests.

grayscale
03-10-2007, 06:22 AM
modifications dont bring up resale price, bring it down if anything.
:wtf:

extremeskillz
03-10-2007, 02:09 PM
buying a car thats allready modified is like using someone elses condom, yeah you might have a good time with it but theres a chance of something bad happening.

yea and that being pretty nasty!

greymatter
03-10-2007, 05:52 PM
fix the hood.

nice find tho

TwistedImage92
03-10-2007, 09:44 PM
the hood isnt latched...