PDA

View Full Version : Help: Air Con Re-gas!

celicasaurus
01-31-2005, 02:45 AM
I called a local auto shop today and the guy told me that my 91 celica may have an old version of air con in it and if it does a new system or something will need to be installed. He said it has a R12 or something...anyone help me out and tell me what a 91sx has? And if this guy is bullsh*tting or not? Thanks

SCO-77K
01-31-2005, 03:22 AM
i dunno about the 91 models, but my 87 celica had the old system which needed to be changed

ronin
01-31-2005, 06:02 AM
i think he is right man. ive got the same drama.. they dont re-gas the old system any more and you need to get a new compressor. which is in the vicinity of $400. i think the best person to speak to about this is wyldie.. i havent had AC in my car for 18 months cause i cant be fokked forking out that sort of cash for a new compressor. so much better things to spend my money on..

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
01-31-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm in the same situation, although i think mine has been converted to the latest gas... i just havn't been fucked to get it regassed.

If it can't get regassed... its getting tossed. Its weighing me down.

Classique71
01-31-2005, 07:46 AM
hmms - compressor should be ok - seals will need to be looked at - as will the dryer ..

youll most likely encounter problems with leaks too - from the two solid hoses up front - and the evaporator unit under the dash

So far to get mine resealed with new gas has cost me 400 or so dollars in parts - its now sealed and regassed but has an electrical gremlin that wont switch the compressor on ( though this can be bypassed - getting the cabin down to a frosty 6 degrees celicuis on a 30 deg day ) - so likelyhood is ill need a switch or three to go .

all the parts are pretty easy to replace in the actual gas recirc system - though finding the evaporator core under the dash was fun - mines second hand .
If you want a rough breakdown of parts cost - lemme know ..

Wyldie
01-31-2005, 10:47 AM
well doing aircon all day teaches me a couple of things

A all that needs to be done if fittings changed.. couple of o-rings.. and if there an aircon joint up with the rules you will need a new reciver dryer as well.. apart from that you are fine

I got the new new gas in my car.. it's called something I can't remember I'll post it when I remember it its something like FR12 or something

Jaemus
01-31-2005, 12:37 PM
yeah i was gonna say, isnt there some sort of gas that u can use in an R12 system without having to get a new compressor? i swear u could do that somehow - that was one of the critera for changing to R134a in the first place - easy to substitute gasses

3S-GTE_Man
01-31-2005, 01:36 PM
yeah when i got my a/c and shit rewired to work ont he conversion...they said it needs a "reto-fit" done out and i got a new dryer (the can infront of condinsor in bumper) and new service ports and fully flashed...new oil new non cfcgas or what not..the new new shit and all that 280 for that...u shouldn't need a new compressor....but yeah and also the st185 compressor not compatable with the factor a/c apmilifer of the st162 they had to had like 2 relays and a auto thermo stat (that is adjustable) and she now kicks out at 3 degrees and kicks but in at 5degree..my a/c is fuckign COLD it good! and yeah they did not of wiring too...with my thermo fans and shit (cause i fucked that up).

Nezza :wiggle:

3sge
02-01-2005, 06:47 AM
When I got mine regased after the swap the A/C guy sold he could put in either old or new at the same price, I said don't you have to change alot of crap cause the new gas is at a higher pressure or something like that he said not all the times I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something like, I still got the old gas but mmmm nice and cooool.

Jaemus
02-01-2005, 06:58 AM
the old gas is more efficient by a considerable margin

swap? so your carina didnt come with a 3sge?

3sge
02-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Jaemus yeah it came with a 3sge but I put a 3sgte in it

ronin
02-01-2005, 08:29 AM
WTF??? awesome!!!1 haha.. good job man!

Jaemus
02-01-2005, 11:16 AM
oh!!!! omg!
i didnt realise that
gen 2 3sgte?

3S-GTE_Man
02-01-2005, 02:02 PM
oi........ man and when ammmm i'm seeing that car out at BWCP man....lol sleeper!!!! i love it!