PDA

View Full Version : JDM Addiction [Any luck?]

MasterRex
03-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I've been running my Celica ST to death.. and to be honest, she's been slowly letting me down, engine wise[Countless problems @ 170k miles]. Needless to say, the engine's dead now. RIP 4A-FE. The problem is, I've invested a hell of a lot of time and money into bodywork, and I sincerely think my car is terribly beautiful. Now all I really want is for it to run... and fast.

Moving on - I've been trying my damnedest to contact the folks at www.jdmaddiction.com

I've called, e-mailed, tried to instant-message [never on].. And I've gotten no response.

It's a shame, I've got the money/willpower[aka $$$] to finally swap in a nice 20V silvertop, and I've got nearly every 'extra' part necessary. I'd love to purchase the engine/transmission from this company/importer, but the bastards won't respond. What should I do? They consistently have listings on eBay, but I'd rather not purchase something like this on eBay.. just doesn't comfort me well.

Pretty much.. I'm begging anyone to see if they can get in contact with these people. :ugh:

A little vid of my car (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1532913029).. I know it sucks, but it's all I really have to show for my car.

Colossus20v
03-05-2007, 10:39 PM
http://www.jarcoinc.com/

Best importer I know.

grayscale
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
^^ That's two for Jarco. I've been to their shop in Canton, GA and I plan on making my future purchases there also. They are also on eBay.

MasterRex
03-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Yes, but the prices at JDM Addiction are considerably cheaper... and in stock.

Although it's noted that the prices I've been looking at are for an entire front clip, not just an engine.

Jarco doesn't have a 20V Silver/Blacktop in stock. They do however have a Starlet's 4AFTE? Can anyone elaborate upon this engine, I'm not really sure what kind of performance difference I would obtain by swapping into a possibly more powerful engine, possibly with stronger internals[?]?

Also, what's the bwhp of the 4AFTE as compared to the meager 103HP'ish that the 4AFE found in stock 90-93 Celica ST's? If it's about the same as the Silvertop, I'd almost lean towards it.. there would be considerably less modification/miscellaneous part scavenging to do. [Please do correct me if I'm wrong.]

Does Jarco regularly come in/out of stock with such engines?

andy
03-06-2007, 03:26 AM
cheaper? dont cheap out on engines bro, my roomate bought one on ebay and got scammed hard, the thing had a super spun bearing and they stopped answering his calls. I used Jarco for my 3s and those guys are awesome, always answered my mails same day and ALWAYS answered the phone, it was micheal hooper i dealt with through them, send em an email and ask if they have one, when i bought my clip it said out of stock on the web site, but they were gonna get one in 2 days, also they send you a video of YOUR engine running before you buy it, and a comp test result. you wont be dissapointed. +1 for jarco. oh and they had that front clip at my house 4 days after i paid them. AWESOME service absolutly A+. and you get a free t shirt! w00t!

Mr. Babb
03-06-2007, 04:18 AM
jarco is really good. I actually just bought a 3s clip from them that i am going to pick up on march 16th. Like andy said, michael is the guy to talk to, he has really helped me out alot

Murgatroy
03-06-2007, 09:06 AM
If you are having this hard of a time contacting the company to buy from them, I wouldn't. Customer service is worth paying for.

There is no such thing as a stock 4AFTE. You are thinking about a 4EFTE. It is a whole lot of hassle to swap and I don't think anyone has.

Go through Jarco, I have NEVER heard any complaints from them. Albeit it isn't a clip, but there are enough folks here that can help with any questions.

If you are set on a Silvertop it is the easiest to swap into and ST. Any A series is a directish fit with wiring being the only hassle. The 3SGTE is the most powerful engine and it would only require a new crossmember and motor mounts. It is the most documented swap and the most thoroughly beat upon around these parts.

I myself am leaning towards a Blacktop 4AGE for my ST and a 3SG(T?)E for my GT.

alltracman78
03-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Hm.

My verdict is still out on JDM addiction.

I wasn't going to post anything until I had this resolved but what the hell.

First off, I've had no problem whatsoever contacting them.
We have been talking since New Years.

I bought a ST205 engine set through them.
The pic on Ebay was a 205.
When it got to me, it was a RC set.
In all fairness, I believe it was an honest mistake. Unless you know these cars really well, it's easy to mistake a RC and 205 engine. ALOT of similarities.
It did take a bit of convincing on my part. They weren't even aware of the existance of the RC.
Basically the plan [assuming they're not trying to hoodwink me] is that they have a 205 set in shipment from Japan. Once it clears customs it's SUPPOSED to be headed my way. They are going to pick up the RC set when the drop off the 205 set. Saves me cost and hassle of shipping it back to them.

Also, the RC set I got is VERY complete. It's in EXCELLENT condition.
Has the front axles, pump, trans cooler, the engine harness is not cut, they cut each connector on the OTHER side of the harness. So I have the matching connector for it.

So, as long as they send me a 205 set, and it's in the same condition as the RC set, I will be 100% satisfied with them.

But I have to get the set first. :P