PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Cables for 6th gen swap with MR2T tranny

G-man
01-31-2005, 02:09 AM
Some of you may have been following my "Difficulty Shifting" thread. Well, the only "inexpensive" things I have left to try are shifter cable bushings and shifter cables. The bushings have been ordered. I was advised on the MR2 site that using the N/A cables for a swap with a E-153 can be troublesome and that better cables are necessary. Apparently, the person ran into the same problem in a MR2 N/A - Turbo swap and the Turbo cables solved the issue.

Q: Can anyone confirm that the ST205 shifter cables will work in a 6th gen swap with the E-153 despite the fact that the ST205 has the AWD tranny?

Keoni
02-01-2005, 03:00 AM
In theory it should work if you get the 6th Gen ST205 cables installed. The N/A cables are not the correct length at the tranny where the shifter cable bracket is. I know that using ST185 cables for 5th Gen swaps with the E-153 tranny solve the shifting problem. Also if you have a short throw shifter that could also add to the problem. If you can find ST205 cables then go for it.

Supersprynt
02-01-2005, 09:10 PM
If you found someway to measure the needed length I could measure my ST185 cables and see where they are.

Dirty
02-02-2005, 02:02 AM
What kind of problems are you having? im using 6th Gen Shift cables with my MR2 trans and i dont have any problems ...and im using the bracket from the MR2 as well

G-man
02-02-2005, 02:39 AM
What kind of problems are you having?

The car is difficult to shift at times - particularly downshifts into 1st or 2nd. I have done the following things:

1. Clutch Pedal Adjustment - 10% improvement. Clutch now engages at the half way point rather than an inch from the floor.

2. Solid Shifter base bushings - No improvement.

3. Bled clutch lines. No improvement.

4. Changed to Pennzoil Syncromesh - 60% improvement. The problems now only present themselves every now and then. In fact, over the last few days I have had no big problems.

The gears are still a little notchy and have some play in getting them into gear. The only "cheap" solutions I have left are new cables and solid shifter cable bushings. The bushings are on order. If there is a chance that ST205 cables will help, I am going to do them at the same time as the bushings.

Another question: To change the cables, do I mearly disconnect them from the shifter and the tranny and pull them out toward the engine through the firewall? I assume I will have to take out my air intake and do the connections on the tranny from atop the engine. Am I correct?

XXX_Mina
02-02-2005, 04:11 AM
was your car st. my shifter is crocked and gives me some trouble. but my mechanic did the same swap on a gt convertable and his shifter came out straight. so if you car is st , the gt cables will work nicley, iam guessing because the gt is s series engine. also check out http://www.speed-source.net/ , they have a few things to help shifting.

mina

Sean
02-02-2005, 05:11 AM
The car is difficult to shift at times - particularly downshifts into 1st or 2nd. I have done the following things:

1. Clutch Pedal Adjustment - 10% improvement. Clutch now engages at the half way point rather than an inch from the floor.

2. Solid Shifter base bushings - No improvement.

3. Bled clutch lines. No improvement.

4. Changed to Pennzoil Syncromesh - 60% improvement. The problems now only present themselves every now and then. In fact, over the last few days I have had no big problems.

The gears are still a little notchy and have some play in getting them into gear. The only "cheap" solutions I have left are new cables and solid shifter cable bushings. The bushings are on order. If there is a chance that ST205 cables will help, I am going to do them at the same time as the bushings.

Another question: To change the cables, do I mearly disconnect them from the shifter and the tranny and pull them out toward the engine through the firewall? I assume I will have to take out my air intake and do the connections on the tranny from atop the engine. Am I correct?

For me, the shifter cables were a PAIN in the ass, even with the transmission out!!! You have to pull part of the console. Loosen up the ECU, pull all the plastics off around the shifter base, pull a couple of those flat, C clips from the inside of the car, then pull the two in the engine bay. Then, theres the firewall grommet, back out those two 10mm's, wiggle them around the power steering. From the inside, there are also 2 10mm's nuts that seal the cabin off, what a pain these are! Use the shortest stubbiest screw driver you've got. I ended up using my pocket knife, worked the best.

When the cables are out, make sure there still sealed, and they slide freely. Thats also anothing thing you can check, is make sure that the cables slide effortlessly. I honestly dont think the cables are your problem though. It is possible....

What about your slave cylinder, and your clutch master? Have you changed those in the past?

G-man
02-02-2005, 03:03 PM
my mechanic did the same swap on a gt convertableand his shifter came out straight.

That was my car. I have had the shifter out twice and that is not my problem.

For me, the shifter cables were a PAIN in the ass, even with the transmission out!!! You have to pull part of the console. Loosen up the ECU, pull all the plastics off around the shifter base, pull a couple of those flat, C clips from the inside of the car, then pull the two in the engine bay. Then, theres the firewall grommet, back out those two 10mm's, wiggle them around the power steering. From the inside, there are also 2 10mm's nuts that seal the cabin off, what a pain these are! Use the shortest stubbiest screw driver you've got. I ended up using my pocket knife, worked the best.

Thanks for the how-to although learning what's involved is not encouraging. I am going to try the bushings first, then maybe replacing the clutch cylinders (although there is no sign of leaking either inside the cabin or anwhere near the resovoir). If that doesn't work, I will have to give the ST205 cables a try.

Dirty
02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Hope its not something "inside " the trasmission...like gears or synchros...which are known to go bad in mR2 trannys

G-man
02-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Hope its not something "inside " the trasmission...like gears or synchros...which are known to go bad in mR2 trannys

From your lips to God's ears.

XXX_Mina
02-03-2005, 10:58 AM
find out if the 205 cables work, ill get them as soon as you confirm that thier good... lol i didnt realize it was your car... the diff sn threw me off...

mina

galcrazi
02-03-2005, 12:58 PM
I personally used teh gt4 cables when i instaled my e153. As Sean said... it was a BITCH! You shouldnt have any problems using your stock cables, but I beleive u must use washer to space the brackets on the tranni. Personally, I think theres a good chance your tranni might be fizukd. However, it is also HIGHLY likely that when you did your conversion, and you drilled and tapped the holes for your brackets, that they are SLIGHTLY off spec from oem. It is very difficult to get them perfectly lined up. This will cause difficulty in shifting. You are using a tranni designed for mid-engine setup that has been modified by us "backyard" mechanics for fwd. It can be done but is difficult to do it perfectly. Mine works well, but is not quite as smooth as stock was in 2nd and 5th gear. Just a thought.

gt_turbo
02-04-2005, 07:46 PM
i dunno what you guys are talking about. changing shift cables is easy with the engine/trans out. :lol:

Sean
02-04-2005, 07:56 PM
yes, with the engine out.

Real mechanics dont drop engines to change trannies :)

3sgte@daspeedof
01-26-2006, 10:55 AM
so when I come back from cali, you guys don't think I should pull the whole motor, just jack up the car, and lower the tranny & change the shifter cables with the tranny out, Right?

Rjb23
01-28-2006, 06:12 AM
I'm using the st cables in my swap and they work just fine. Reverse takes a little muscle to get it in, but thats it, you just have to find where your gears are, its a little different than stock.