PDA

View Full Version : SSautocrap and other Ebay pipe outfitters..

PhillyDRFT
03-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Whats the common census on them? I'm looking for a rams horn style turbo manifold for my 240. There under and around 100$.. It won't have much more than 5-10psi through it. I know a few people bought them for there 5sfte and 3sgte applications. Ive heard varying stories about the longevity of them. There always my friends friends car had one and it was awesome or it blew up. Just curious on the opinions of anyone who has bought them. I know it depends on weld quality but pictures can only say so much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Header-Turbo-Manifold-240SX-KA24DE-KA24DET-S13-S14_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33632QQihZ015QQitem Z250089190897QQrdZ1

Edit: lol also he has awesome feedback for over a year, but you know how ebay is...

grip addict
03-04-2007, 07:48 PM
well, the worst thing it can do is crack. for 69 dollars, that's not too much money to risk...
i'd save the money and get a nicer one that probably won't fail at the welds... if you're putting it on yourself and don't mind possibly putting a second one on though, i'd say go for it.

PhillyDRFT
03-04-2007, 08:11 PM
im just upgrading my current one, The only other one I like is the AMS but I won't pay the 900$ for it. I'm currently running a log type and upgrading to a ram horn style sounds like the best option imho. Yeah im figuring 100$ isnt a big risk at all just curious of the life span before I can expect the inevitable broken weld or crack. Thanks for the reply.

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/images/IMG_0014.jpg

Playfortoday
03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
I know the guys at AMS personally, and there work is well worth it and comes with them backing up their product.

I too think $900 is a little crazy though, but the quality will be there for you. It is kind of like Aussie Exhaust tubular manifold. Great craftsmanship, but not dyno'd and over $1000 price tag.

What a lot of people do is buy that junk off of ebay and take it to a professional welder and have them reinforce the welds. So, you pay $99 and another $100-200 in labor and you are still a third the cost of the $900 one.

Playfortoday
03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Just keep in ming that those products from ebay did not give rise from hard work and R&D on their dime. They are usually direct copies/forgeries of some small shops' hard work. For that reason alone, I don't buy the cheap crap. Well that and the fact that most of that shit fails prematurely. For example, remember the turbos that were epoxied together? I think ssautochrome sold those.:)

grayscale
03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
For example, remember the turbos that were epoxied together? I think ssautochrome sold those.:)
:eek: Never heard that one. Dirtbags...

PhillyDRFT
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
haha yeah Ive heard many horror storys about the chineese built turbines off ebay. I don't like buying any chineese built metal products, something a lot of people have told me about there recyceling and refining processes that don't yield a stronger end product. I love the AMS manifold and I definately know the R&D time they put into it. but the 900$ price tag is over my head especally for my light setup. Im not expecting to put a billion miles on the new manifold. Im using the JGS log type rite now. I know it's a downgrade but I feel like im heading for a problem with it soon not to mention im not a big fan of log type manifolds.

andy
03-07-2007, 06:20 PM
go for it, ive been running the 3s dp from them for about a year now with no problems.

PhillyDRFT
03-07-2007, 07:07 PM
just what I wanted to hear! ty. If I can get a year or two out of it I might put away 100$ a month to get the AMS one eventually, we'll see how my new setup works. I'm debating on a GT28RS too so my pockets are stretching lol. that or ill just have to rebuild my compressor.