PDA

View Full Version : So how bad did my transmission get pwned?

Cavanagh
03-02-2007, 12:59 AM
God damnit im so pissed off right now. So im taking one of my friends ellyn with me to my friends house and we were dicking around with witch station the radio should be on, so finally im coming to a stop sign and going around 30 when she fucking threw my car INTO PARK!!!!! It made some horrible grinding sound as if someone tried to throw the car in gear w/o the clutch in a manual car. I was in shock she did it, she thought it was funny (didnt think it would hurt the car) until she saw the look of horror,shock,sad look on my face. Anyhow, how bad do you think this is? I have a pretty strong trans and just hit 126,000mi today actually. Do you think this incident will come back to bite me in the ass? The car seems to be ok, but im so depressed about... :( :thumbsdow :( ME:slap: Her

bongbbreakin
03-02-2007, 01:05 AM
my s53 trans lasted me 330000 miles before it decided to pwn me. o yea ive grinded eleventy million times with it and i was also running a 3sgte at 12-14psi for a good 50000 before it went bye bye

hobbie2k
03-02-2007, 01:07 AM
The only transmission part I would be seriously worried about is the park pin. It is possible that it was damaged or even broken. Have you tried pushing the car while it's in park to make sure the pin still works?

Other than that, I'd be more worried about the rest of the driveline. The diff and axles and stuff...

zmile06
03-02-2007, 02:57 AM
You should punch her in the face!

I honestly dont think it did any damage. Ya if you keep doing it that will aventuily kill your tranny. But like hobbie2k said, just try pushing it while its in park. It would probable be smart to jack it up and just look around the tranny checking the axels and your wheel bearings etc. Your wheel bearings could of been hurt big time.

If your car clicks when you turn, thats your wheel bearings going out. I doubt your car got serious damage to it, but i would definitaly check stuff out just to be on the safe side.

grayscale
03-02-2007, 03:07 AM
If your car clicks when you turn, thats your wheel bearings going out. I doubt your car got serious damage to it, but i would definitaly check stuff out just to be on the safe side.
That's your cv joints not your bearings that click. Your axles should be fine, they stop when the trans stops. Since there is no hard connection between your engine and trans, the only thing really is the park pin. Anything else will be very extensive internal damage to the tranny but should be readily apparent during operation. If you didn't notice anything driving after the incident, you're probably okay.

Cavanagh
03-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, ill check that out today.

andy
03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
I did that one accident to my moms 4 runner, it made a click noise during but all was fine afterwards, and this was over 3 years ago and it still runs fine. If its not doing anything it wasnt before then your alright.

2kSnakEater
03-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I would press the issue that she messed up your $2500 trany, she can either give you $2500 in cash (small bills) or she can let you piitb.

Azzazzyn
03-02-2007, 07:25 PM
i use my parking brake anyway, so i don't have to worry about the park pin

VikingJZ
03-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Get some sex, money, or GTFO.

Blackcloud
03-05-2007, 04:28 AM
i thought they could not go into P while moving?

VikingJZ
03-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Well they aren't supposed to, but there is a failsafe so to speak.

If you do that at a slow speed you'll be fine, but since that was a higher speed, it may have done little to no damage. However, you won't notice it unless you frequently do it.

It's designed to slow down and stall.

mtp_69_i
03-05-2007, 07:39 AM
I've only ever driven one car with an auto box you could throw into reverse from drive while still travelling at speed. This thrashbox old dodge jeep with what I think was a 2-speed box (never went fast enough to find out if it had third and the markings were long gone). It had next to no brakes so to stop in a fun kind of way we'd throw it in reverse and bag up the wheels . I've never known another car to be able to do that. Beyond that, I'm stumped how it could get to Park. She must have rammed it into Park?

Cavanagh
03-06-2007, 01:19 AM
She must have rammed it into Park?
Exaclty what i was going to say.