PDA

View Full Version : JDM ecu an upgrade?

Melchior
02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but i was thinking today about the ecu tuned for the land of 6 million octane, and would I be right in thinking if I could get my hands on one (and being that i get 94 here) I would have some gains from it having a fuel map for 94? Or am I blowing smoke?

andy
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
im running one now, with 93 octane and its doing fine. They are quite easy to get ahold of.

hobbie2k
02-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but i was thinking today about the ecu tuned for the land of 6 million octane, and would I be right in thinking if I could get my hands on one (and being that i get 94 here) I would have some gains from it having a fuel map for 94? Or am I blowing smoke?

You might see a little gain, but I don't think it's worth it. The stock JDM map would still be quite conservative and you would face a greater chance of blowing your motor if you got bad gas.

Melchior
02-28-2007, 03:24 AM
I suppose, gas here is pretty good thou, like i said every pump has 94. In my mind the ideal way it's different is it's basically the same (i.e. same maps) for 91, 89, 87, etc... but then has the maps they didn't put in for NA. In fact, i guess i should have asked a different question..

Does anyone know if the north american ECU is mapped for 94, or 92 even? I know some states have 94, but i know a lot are limited to 91. If it is, then it probably wouldn't make any difference.

Melchior
02-28-2007, 03:27 AM
im running one now, with 93 octane and its doing fine. They are quite easy to get ahold of.

Other than the fuel maps, does anyone have an idea of other differences? I.e. sensors we have/don't have that it would look for a signal from (or not want a signal from...)

Shadowlife25
02-28-2007, 07:15 AM
No EGR codes as the JDM 3s-gte does not have an EGR system. The JDM ecu does also to my knowledge have (slightly) more aggressive air/fuel and timing maps, but I believe this is also due to their having higher octane gas at the pump. If I am wrong, someone please chime in. :)

hnygt4
03-03-2007, 12:05 AM
i thought japan had 100ron, mines a jdm and I use 99ron, but havent noticed much difference between 95 and 99, just use it to be safe

alltracman78
03-03-2007, 12:43 AM
You might see a little gain, but I don't think it's worth it. The stock JDM map would still be quite conservative and you would face a greater chance of blowing your motor if you got bad gas.

Not really.
The JDM ECU is tuned for 98 RON.
Which is roughly 94 RON + MON/2
The extra 25 hp comes COMPLETELY from the ECU.
Running it on 93 would detune it a slight bit, but it would still be more aggressive than an Alltrac ECU.
And if you run 94, you should be real close, if not on 225 [assuming a healthy engine].

You will be fine running it on 93 here. 94 is even better.
Alltracs are tuned for 91 octane.

So yeah, if you can find one cheap it would be worth it IMO.
For you [assuming you have the 90] a 90/91 JDM will be plug and play.
Only your AC won't work [actuated differently].
Also, a 91/92 MR2T ECU is plug and play.

The Captain
07-09-2007, 11:59 PM
I read in another thread that your US A/C system won't work if you use the JDM ECU. Anybody have more details and perhaps a fix?

Shadowlife25
07-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Strangely enough, my ac still works with the J-spec ecu....?

Good luck getting any solid info on that. I started a thread asking the same thing a while back and got next to no help.

Try sending a pm to Lagos about it. he can link you to the thread where this is discussed in greater detail.