PDA

View Full Version : Custom Camber Bolts

grayscale
02-27-2007, 12:09 AM
So these camber bolt sets are like $20 or more for two friggin bolts which is kinda ridiculous, so I think I might make my own, I've got a handfull of the rear bolts laying around. The good ones that I've gotten pics of are a smaller bolt with a lobe machined on them. I think I'm going to reverse it and machine a section out of the original bolt to get the same effect. For those of you who have the store bought bolts, what is the little tab around the bolthead for? Let me know what you think.

PhillyDRFT
03-01-2007, 09:37 PM
The tab I believe is to dig into the metal or wrap around an edge to stop it from turning once it's installed.

splinter182
03-01-2007, 10:46 PM
the tab is to push the bolt in the desired direction, the bolt is smaller in diameter to the stock bolts with only the lobe being close to the right size. then the tab has another tab extending into the bolt hole on the strut to push the lobe into the side you want.
if i remember correctly if the lobe is facing to the ouside the bolt will give negative camber or something like that, the tab has to be installed in the right direction to give the desired adjustemnt (positive or negative) well i dont think it has to be installed that way, but to get the most adjustment range into the desired direction it must be installed correctly.
i bought the bolts from napa, then returned them after the shop that installed my shocks and springs told me i didnt needed an aligment, stupid bastards lied to me so im gonna get the eibach camber bolts. the car has some negtive camber atm from being lowerd. hope this helps.

edit:

also the lobe is a few milimeters away from the bolt head, the section in betwen the bolt head and the lobe is smaller in diameter than the stock size. this section clears the strut mounting hole and this is there the small tab on the washer looking thing goes into to push the bolt to the right direction.

grayscale
03-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Hrmm, I now see the dilema. Thanks for the info. Time to put my brain back in and think about this more...

BEAMS
03-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Just buy them, 20 bucks plus an alignment to save your tires from wearing out in a month is well worth it.

KoreanJoey
03-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Camber doesn't have as much of an effect as toe, remember that.

Luni
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Camber wont wear your tires out NEARLY as bad as toe.

Toe will destroy them.